Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air induction with sunoco, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cold air induction with sunoco, possible?

Just finished up changing my setup. Went to a edelbrock EFI 4150 style intake with a FAST 4150 TB. Of course this required cutting the out the cowl. I installed a VFN sunoco extended hood.

It seems obvious that I will be getting hot air off the engine/headers with this setup. Has anyone seen, or have any ideas about fabbing up some sort of cold air setup??

Not sure which way to go with this since the hood more or less seals to the windshield...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Your going to have to get something from the front of the car,I run a spectre hat and 4" aluminum tubing to the fender area on the drivers side.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the SUX2BU setup and LOVE it. lemme see if i can dig out some pics/threads of how to do it. You do have to remove your bumpersupoort and syrophoam crash stuff out of the front of the car tho
Old 11-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Once you have the hood mounted, you could, take where the center touches the windshield, and right at the base of the raised portion cut a teardrop out, right up by the windshield, so that there's a small opening on both sides.

I've seen this on 2 cars with that hood, and supposedly the iat's dropped over 50 degrees by doing that, according to the guys that did it. Not the prettiest thing but it works. At least gives a way for air to move thru the engine bay, probably cools the whole thing off alot when the fans are on/car's moving.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Once you have the hood mounted, you could, take where the center touches the windshield, and right at the base of the raised portion cut a teardrop out, right up by the windshield, so that there's a small opening on both sides.

I've seen this on 2 cars with that hood, and supposedly the iat's dropped over 50 degrees by doing that, according to the guys that did it. Not the prettiest thing but it works. At least gives a way for air to move thru the engine bay, probably cools the whole thing off alot when the fans are on/car's moving.
That's what I was referring to. How to get the air moving out from under the hood. It seems that it needs to have some sort of vent to allow the air to escape. But I have no idea how to do it and not destroy the appearance

Can you get some pics of how they did it?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I never have any pictures LOL.

It was a small oval cutout, that was in the corners next to the hump in the center, right at the bend portion where it drops to the regular height of the hood.

I don't think it looked too bad, but again, that's a personal opinion thing. I can for sure see it working, fwiw.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you running SD or maff?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

I run open loop SD. Open 4150 fast TB.