Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9s CAM ONLY new record !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess its a fine line cuz there is no written rules...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by billyflantos
i'm not offended but more curious than anything...i have stock rod bolts but fly cut my pistons for clearence...heres my question,how does that make my bottom end not stock but more of a safety issue instead(and yes i understand that gm did'n flycut them also but lq4's have 9.4 compression ratios too)it does'nt enhance performance to flycut,so why is this a topic or are you just reaching for something? i've done nothing but congradulate him on his record and a few of you guys have posted stuff like this....sorry to the op for the intrusion.....billy
well flycutting does enhance performance because there is a vast number of cams that you could of installed without clearance issues. Instead you put in a bigger cam to make more horsepower. I'm not even familiar with your set up and by no means was anything directed at you personally, I was just making a statement in general. I honestly dont care what people do to their cars to reach their goals, but if its talked about on a public board they might as well be honest about it just so everyone can see how they stand against their setup. You surely cant argue that all else being equal, a stock bottom end with rod bolts and cammed requiring flycutting has a big advantage over an unaltered stock bottom end. I'd love to see an actual stock bottom end list and then the members of this site can just simply vote on the rules.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top Fuel
well flycutting does enhance performance because there is a vast number of cams that you could of installed without clearance issues. Instead you put in a bigger cam to make more horsepower. I'm not even familiar with your set up and by no means was anything directed at you personally, I was just making a statement in general. I honestly dont care what people do to their cars to reach their goals, but if its talked about on a public board they might as well be honest about it just so everyone can see how they stand against their setup. You surely cant argue that all else being equal, a stock bottom end with rod bolts and cammed requiring flycutting has a big advantage over an unaltered stock bottom end. I'd love to see an actual stock bottom end list and then the members of this site can just simply vote on the rules.

fly cut or not its still a STOCK piston, and the fact that you can cut them and they still hold up is amazing!!! Its like doing a burnout, your removing material for better results with what you have. I vote for flycut is allowed...drill a hole in it idc, until the piston is removed for a different brand its still stock.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
8 Second Club

I vote NO for flycutting.... really not cam only then.... i can see rod bolts it dont make a bit off diff u fly cut u can put some monster cam im talking 25x/26x and make a ton of power pistons wont brake its the rods
Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Voting is fun, but if you vote no on the flycut then I think rod bolts would not be allowed either IMO...

Fly cutting you end up with a already there stock piston, but the rod bolts are now non-OEM parts...thats still modified bottom end...

I think rods bolts make a hell of a difference, allows you to spin higher without failure

congrates on the pass BTW
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
I vote NO for flycutting.... really not cam only then.... i can see rod bolts it dont make a bit off diff u fly cut u can put some monster cam im talking 25x/26x and make a ton of power pistons wont brake its the rods
our cams are fairly close in size,but i think the t-rex is alittle bigger....and fly cutting pistons does'nt make power,it actually take compression away from the motor....its more of a be safe or you might be sorry situation...i'm not knocking you or anybody else on here,but i've seen a couple of post that looked alittle darogatory and wanted to know what was on peoples minds....if anything i would think rod bolts would be the non-stock item over flycutting pistons because the phrase cam only does'nt limit what size or what kind of cam you got...heres what i'd like to vote for"altitude corrected times for everybody"to make it fair for us southern boys...lol
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
8 Second Club

thanks man.... No way to really enforce it... its just some INTERNET record ya no
Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Top Fuel
no offense taken,this stuff needs to be debated....lol
Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the offical Internet record for stock LS1 in the dodge ram.....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

I honestly would vote for allowing flycuts and rod bolts on a stock bottom list, its become too accepted to turn back on now. Its just how far will it be allowed to go? I mean first it was flycutting, then aftermarket rod bolts and people are still saying thats a stock bottom end. what if next week someone breaks another stock bottom record, but this time has low tension rings for a vacuum pump? is it still a stock bottom end then?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Flycutting and rod bolts give folks advantages, at that point you could run even bigger cams and spin the engine even higher... Once you do either "cam only" does not mean a whole lot I think.

I think we always have to give props to those brave souls who are spinning stock bottom ends to 7K and run low 10's and high 9's.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

rpm does'nt always equal power with stock type heads...thats why our cam only cars walk a fine line with rpm,cam profile and head flow.....now lets talk about the altitude corretion suggestion..lol
Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think we always have to give props to those brave souls who are spinning stock bottom ends to 7K and run low 10's and high 9's.[/QUOTE]

i always grit my teeth and say to myself,please hold on for one more second...well,thats what i use to say anyway...lol
Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by billyflantos
I think we always have to give props to those brave souls who are spinning stock bottom ends to 7K and run low 10's and high 9's.
i always grit my teeth and say to myself,please hold on for one more second...well,thats what i use to say anyway...lol[/QUOTE]

LOL I get nervous when my stock bottom end with katech rod bolts hits 7,000 on the dyno.....

But so far so good
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Good job guys, 9s cam only is crazy impressive.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
I think rods bolts make a hell of a difference, allows you to spin higher
As does a flycut piston because it's now lighter than stock.
Just kidding.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Flycutting and rod bolts give folks advantages, at that point you could run even bigger cams and spin the engine even higher... Once you do either "cam only" does not mean a whole lot I think.
I totally agree with you John.

Too many try to munipulate what "CAM ONLY" stands for.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good job guys, 9s cam only is crazy impressive.
Thanks Marc haven't been in this thread lately. I'll see you in the spring, car will have a new powerplant
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Still waiting to see under the hood....
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 PM
8 Second Club

I'm sorry but at this time we do not wish to share pics of are work alot of R&D.

Quick Reply: 9s CAM ONLY new record !!!!