Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best 60ft with a 4l60E

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaltech Tuning
JL your posts about race setups and turning 8500rpm are irrelevant here. The OP said he drives the car a lot and I'm willing to bet he's not turning anywhere near 8500 rpm. Your proclomation that the 60's are junk because no trans builder will send you a free one to try and evaluate in your race setup is ridiculous and absurd. First off, who are you that any trans builder will care about your review enough to send you a free trans to flog? Secondly I'd be more worried about the trans builder that suggests a 4l60e for an 8500 rpm race setup than another trans. There are way better options for that setup for a variety of reasons. I don't see too many 8500 rpm street cars around that are putting enough street miles on the vehicle to reap the benefits of a 4l60e.
Really, and who are you to say what a 4ljunkie can take and what it cant? Have you ever put one in something that was making enough power to be considered an extreme condition?

I've thown that out there to the tranny builders years ago not to evaluate wether it would work for what I'm doing, but to see if what they say the transmissions can take, is true or not. I put it out there that it would be an honest test and good or bad the results would be shown.... apparently noone wants to take the chance about the bad news getting shared.

I've offered to pay for the shipping to and from of said transmission, and I have absolutely no intent if keeping it. All I wanted to do was put it in the car, and see if it would live. Noone wants the feedback, becasue they already have it: the thing's not gonna take it. Period. I've had 3 well known people strait tell me that, and if they had any hopes that it would, they'd have had one on the way the same day.

I have seen countless junkie E transmissions, and their 700R4 non electornic counterparts fail in the last 17 years to know that neither of them are meant to stand up to any serious amount of power. The case itself does not have the strength needed, drums, planataries, and pretty much the rest of it can't take alot of abuse.

If you have mroe then 500 at the tires.. I wouldn't even consider one of these, unless you want to be on the exchange program where you're sending it back at least once a year to get rebuilt. If that's what you call acceptable life, then so be it run the thing. To me, that's something I would expect to have to do with something that's seeing 100 passes into the 8 second range, not a transmission in a car that's being driven around for 7500iles a year and is getting less then 50 track runs on it.

You can do what you want, I don't feel comfortable telling someone that you can put a transmission in a car that probably isn't going to last more then a year, and in alot of the above cases, less then that.

I've said it before, an engine builder that has a problem with his engine, will commonly tell you that "there's something wrong with the transmission, so we're leaving" when he blows it up at the track. And guys that sell transmissions, will tell you "there's an issue with the tuning or the motor"... noone ever spills the complete truth on here about what really fails and how often it happens. The guy that's fixing that motor he built, is the same as the guy that's fixing the transmission he built..... they're gonna do it for next to nothing "as long as the owner doesn't say anything about the problems he had"

Goes on all the time, hence why the real story doesn't come out. Noone likes to hear it, and absolutely noone ever admit's it, but that's how it is.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Really, and who are you to say what a 4ljunkie can take and what it cant? Have you ever put one in something that was making enough power to be considered an extreme condition?
What defines "extreme" conditions?

In one post you say only use a 60 under 400rwhp, then later you say not more than 500rwhp, then in others you talk about 8500 rpm race applications. You speak as if your word is gospel even when others in this same thread have shown these trannies to live. The OP wants to run 9's, are you seriously saying there aren't many cars here running 9's on that trans?
You seem to love to argue your ideas in threads even if they're not relevant to the question in the thread. The OP wants to street drive the car a lot and run 9's, the 60 can handle that. Is it the best answer for him, maybe, maybe not but it's at least something to consider. 8500 rpm race applications don't apply to the OP and your offer to trans builders is irrelevant because any trans builder that would recommend a 60 for a race application isn't worth a ****. No one here is saying the 60 is a good race piece, they're just saying it should be a consideration for the OP and his street car, you're the only one that doesn't seem to get that.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Race your car!

Any car that's running in the 9 second zone is not going to stay together with street car parts. You're into race car territority. 700 rwhp is enough to make a 3500 lb car run pretty deep into the 9 second range.

4ljunkie's... will not stand up to that.

Let me put this another way. If YOU were going to have to honor a warrenty on a transmission, and eat the cost of putting it back together when it fails after a short time, would you be telling the guy to put one in his car? Probably not.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Any car that's running in the 9 second zone is not going to stay together with street car parts. You're into race car territority. 700 rwhp is enough to make a 3500 lb car run pretty deep into the 9 second range.

Let me put this another way. If YOU were going to have to honor a warrenty on a transmission, and eat the cost of putting it back together when it fails after a short time, would you be telling the guy to put one in his car? Probably not.
1.37 60ft @ 3800 + lbs 9.62@139 H/C w/ F1A on 275/60/15 Radials / smokenz16 / Z/28

1.32 60ft @ 3600+ #'s 9.6@142 416ci 175ish shot on 275/60/15 Radials / Z8's 01 SS

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/racing/index.htm

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/gallery/index.htm

You can add jfm to that list, he went 9.87 @ 134 I believe 1.30 60'

so apparantly they can live in the 9 sec zone, and apparantly at least one in the 8's...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/cust...mcustomers.htm

Al Brodbeck - 2001 Z06 - 9.04@156mph 1.46 60ft (60-70 passes so far without issue)
Arun Ahuja - 2004 Z06 - 9.04@155mph 1.40 60ft (over 200 passes so far without issue)
Mark Caryle - 2007 Z06 - 9.20s@155mph (Currently the worlds fastest IRS car with 8.15@174 with our TH400 conversion)
Jason Fetter - 2007 Z06 - 9.27@157mph

None of these are light cars. All are full weight with a/c radio and Al's car has a water to air IC setup. All are roughly 3500lb race weight.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JL give it up man! We all realize without a free trans you are going to hate on the 4L60E even though there is lots of proof here they work.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Race your car!

Honestly, I'd rather spend the 5000 on one that I have faith will work, then get a free one and roll the dice on it. Cause when it lets go, who knows how bad it will be... will it be puking fluid all over the tires/track at 150+, will it zing the motor and end up hurting that?

Also, the guys that are running them into these single digit times, what are you doing for a shield and bellhousing so it's legal? Anyone make a containment shield that fits, so you can meet tech requirments?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CF shield on my car by CSR http://www.csr-performance.com/shop/...-700r4---4l60e. There are also blankets.

Last edited by LS1 SPEED; 11-23-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: best 60ft with a 4l60E