Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone heard of the 4L60E "power gear" upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still not worth it, moved on.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, this parts should only cost $400 at most, if its such a great et gain, then they will sell the **** out of them.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
IMO, this parts should only cost $400 at most, if its such a great et gain, then they will sell the **** out of them.
Never happen. The cost involved in the man hours alone overide the $400 you think they should cost.....
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You can dump 300 pounds out of the car easily if there has not been much weight reduction and for the most part it cost nothing. Just depends on how bad you want that record.
Yeah 300 pounds will cost you something. It will turn your street car into a race car. And the same car you strip 300 pounds from to gain the time reduction could still further benefit from the better gear ratios. So whats your point? You don't make any sense and your post has no logic. You obviously don't think this is a worthy upgrade for the money. I personally would rather gain the .3 from this mod then destroying my car through mindless weight reduction.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

My post has perfect logic, Weight to HP ratio. Like stated there are people out there that may want it. If they have the cash, and really do not want to get too into their car. As for weight reduction, its approx 1 tenth per 100 pounds. Some people gotta be able to Live with out certain things or just remove for "Race Day" where ET matters.

22..Bumper, front reinforcement and brackets
21..Bumper, rear reinforcement and brackets
15..Sound deadening (peel the backing off the stock carpet)
15..AC compressor
8.6.AC condenser
21..AC fan motor (entire assembly)
5...Coolant Overflow
13..Firewall Insulation w/ plastic (heavy rubber stuff)
5...Floormats
8...Heat sheilding
28..Seats, rear (leather)
9...Seatbelts (rears and passenger's)
40..Seat, passenger (leather)
14..Swaybar and brackets, front
8...Windshield washer fluid
37..Spare tire and jack
-------
So far thats 270 (rounded), not much work needed, except the AC which lets say you dont do that your still @ 225 With out spending a dime. Thats 2 solid tenths and all can be reinstalled at the end of the event. I'm not even touch hood/truck shocks, or radio/changer/speakers, door skins still in place, passanger side seat belt in there.

Now we still have 1100$ to play with and for a decent price you can get a used set of Centerlines or Weld Draglites with Tires for about 400$, throw in a K member, or a host of other things. Another thing that comes to mind is DHM Fab has Carbon Fiber Door Skins which weigh ALMOST nothing and saves a ton over stock door skins and I think are 100$ each.

I get to work on 9 and 8 second cars and you learn stuff the average guy does not and beleive me I got my Mentor here who wants me to do a total GUT of my car and I wont. BUT I found a lot of weight that can be removed with little work.

You will waste SOOOOOOO much money once that tranny frags, and IT WILL, in your subsequent rebuilds.

I think I make perfect sense but no one needs to subscribe to my Logic.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

** To add to my thought.

Do the weight reduction I mentioned, @ 225.
Used Drag Rim and Tires 500 (call it there)
Nitrous Kit 100 Shot 500-600
Run Mixed Race Gas Should only have 3-4 gallons in the tank anyways. TR-6 plugs, and Resistor Mod to trick the car into pulling some timing.

2 Tenths from Weight Reduction, 2-3 tenths From Tire set up (assuming better 60 Foot), Lets say 5 Tenths from the Shot. My 1100.00 is easily 1 Second, probably more as I am underrating the Nitrous.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL @ the $400 comment... Must have missed the fact it's all billet...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Okay, I have news to report. I actually bought one of these and tried it in my Impala SS (A pretty heavy car) with the hope of going faster. It appears that the Impala is too heavy for this to be effective. I actually need the 3.06 low gear to get the boat moving. While it didn't really hurt, it didn't help either.

That said, if someone wants to try one without spending the $1200.00, I am selling mine for $ 750.00, which includes shipping. Mine has 12 runs on it and is in perfect condition.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1Fast94
Okay, I have news to report. I actually bought one of these and tried it in my Impala SS (A pretty heavy car) with the hope of going faster. It appears that the Impala is too heavy for this to be effective. I actually need the 3.06 low gear to get the boat moving. While it didn't really hurt, it didn't help either.

That said, if someone wants to try one without spending the $1200.00, I am selling mine for $ 750.00, which includes shipping. Mine has 12 runs on it and is in perfect condition.
I wish I would have waited to pick up a used one lol. That's the second one I have seen out there used since I bought mine. I don't have any results yet as my trans is not back yet, but am hopeful to see a nice gain.

I do have a couple questions for you,

how much rpm did you gain in the shift extension between 1-2 and 2-3? Right now I am seeing an average of 1400 between 1-2 and 1200 between 2-3, and that sucks.

Did you change your converter at all when you did the swap?

I am planning on doing a results thread once I finish it seeing as how there is so little data available on these out there. Good or bad hopefully that will help anyone in the future who is considering this.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What rear gears, tire diameter and stall are you guys using?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 AM
Teching In

I'm using 4.88's, 29.5 10.5 15 Hoosier Slicks and the Ati 4200 rpm 8" converter
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

3.42:1, 26x10 slick and a yank ss3600- but I'm not sure any of those are gonna remain in place by the time I'm all said and done.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Problem I see with this, is that it's still going to be a **** poor 4l junkie e transmission...... It might make you as fast as you'd be with a turbo 400, but this transmission is still going to fail quickly if you are making any power.... And by the time you have built the pos 4 l junkie with this gear set, you could have already bought a good th400.... So it's a total waste from what I see.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Problem I see with this, is that it's still going to be a **** poor 4l junkie e transmission...... It might make you as fast as you'd be with a turbo 400, but this transmission is still going to fail quickly if you are making any power.... And by the time you have built the pos 4 l junkie with this gear set, you could have already bought a good th400.... So it's a total waste from what I see.
Comparing a 400 and a 4l60e is apples and oranges. For what I do with my car I would never use a 400, and converting to 80 is a much more expensive alternative for me since I already have a converter and built 60e. No doubt a 400 is better for drag racing, as is an 80, but at my power level my trans has not failed once, and that includes the 20,000 + daily driven miles and 100's of low 10 sec passes, and I am confident that it will be just fine into the 9's. Now if I had to do it over again, and had nothing- or maybe a stock trans with a converter to start, I would seriously consider going with the 80.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Race your car!

Already having a converter is a 1/2 *** reason not to swap to a real transmission.... go ahead and keep that junkie in there, spend another 1500 to change the gears in it, and as soon as you start running in the single digit range it will fail, on a regular basis.... been around this TOO long and have seen it TOO many times.

Once you get the car into the single digits and put the needed safety stuff in it, you won't want to be putting any miles on it anyway, couple whacks on that bar above your head getting in and out and you'll be all done driving the car anyway... so again, I would tell you it's not worth it, if you're going to push it into the single digit range, save the money and do it the right way the first time and be done.

I wouldn't say any of this had I not lived thru the evolution of a car from one level to the next.. believe me when I say you'll save so much money in the long run doing it once and doing it right then trying to get away with something that's really not going to survive what you're putting to it, that you'll be able to pay your house off 5 years sooner, whether you want to believe it or not.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Already having a converter is a 1/2 *** reason not to swap to a real transmission.... go ahead and keep that junkie in there, spend another 1500 to change the gears in it, and as soon as you start running in the single digit range it will fail, on a regular basis.... been around this TOO long and have seen it TOO many times.

Once you get the car into the single digits and put the needed safety stuff in it, you won't want to be putting any miles on it anyway, couple whacks on that bar above your head getting in and out and you'll be all done driving the car anyway... so again, I would tell you it's not worth it, if you're going to push it into the single digit range, save the money and do it the right way the first time and be done.

I wouldn't say any of this had I not lived thru the evolution of a car from one level to the next.. believe me when I say you'll save so much money in the long run doing it once and doing it right then trying to get away with something that's really not going to survive what you're putting to it, that you'll be able to pay your house off 5 years sooner, whether you want to believe it or not.
Yeah cause a good converter doesn't cost close to if not $1,000. Point is the trans I already have is not stock, I have already spent the cash on it, and I haven't had any issues with it to date. So I can freshen it up and change the gearset and keep going, or I can buy a core 4l80, pay someone to rebuild and upgrade it, buy a new converter, buy a new crossmember, pay some one to re- do driveshaft and get another yoke, and have to re-pin the harness and get a 99-up computer just to get it going again.

I have been running this combo for a few years, and its not going much further. I built it to do what it does. Its a driver that I can use for anything I want. It is not going to get a cage or any of that, so any of those issues are not my concern. This isn't the first car I have built so I know about how things can get out of control, but that's not a problem as I have another build in process for that.

Don't get me wrong, if I were going racing every weekend, or this car was going to be capable making much more power, than I would not use this trans. I knew about the longevity issues even before I bought the gearset.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Race your car!

Honestly I'm shocked it's even staying together at 10.20 speed... You already have a unicorn in the 4 l junkie realm
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Honestly I'm shocked it's even staying together at 10.20 speed... You already have a unicorn in the 4 l junkie realm
Come on, be serious....these things will last if built right. Many 9 second cars out there running these.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Come on, be serious....these things will last if built right. Many 9 second cars out there running these.
True, that's why I'm not worried about it at all. Look at ebz06, he has taken this trans into the 8's! His car makes really good power and is not a featherweight either.

The problem with these units is that everyone writes them off because they cost alot to build right, and its very important to have an experienced builder with a proven track record of success like FLT, RPM, Rossler and a few others build them. The local joe transmission guy builds are where people run into trouble.

That being said, the trans does have its limits, and considering the cost, application, and what your goals are, other units start to make alot of sense, so JL has a point.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sofls1
3.42:1, 26x10 slick and a yank ss3600- but I'm not sure any of those are gonna remain in place by the time I'm all said and done.
What up bro! What rear are you running?

Quick Reply: anyone heard of the 4L60E "power gear" upgrade ?