Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Opinions Fellas. Nitrous Or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

9.4's with a light notch could be done with a 200-225 shot potentially. You could run a fogger or maybe just a big single jet. If you did the latter that's certainly the cheapest setup.

I think for 9's and 10's nitrous has the edge for cheap and simple, but 8's and quicker turbo has the lead for power production.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are gonna run the 8.5 stuff with us and want to spend little money then id build a nitrous car. A lot easier on that tire on a budget. But if you are gonna run the WCHRA you have to weigh 3100 lbs with a single kit smallblock so keep that in mind
Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
9.4's with a light notch could be done with a 200-225 shot potentially. You could run a fogger or maybe just a big single jet. If you did the latter that's certainly the cheapest setup.

I think for 9's and 10's nitrous has the edge for cheap and simple, but 8's and quicker turbo has the lead for power production.
Pretty easy to go 9's all motor in a light notch....
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

True I assuming a budget motor for some reason.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mushroom281
plus it feels like getting hit in the rear with a freight train
Uhhhhhhhhh, yeah-I'm not exactly sure how to interpret that.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camscam02
if you are gonna run the 8.5 stuff with us and want to spend little money then id build a nitrous car. A lot easier on that tire on a budget. But if you are gonna run the WCHRA you have to weigh 3100 lbs with a single kit smallblock so keep that in mind
I dont really plan to race the WCHRA circuit because of the weight limit and the rules about keeping a stock dash and all that. this is just more of a grudge car than anything. just something to make as light as possible and have some fun in. i plan to build something to race WCHRA but not anytime soon. how did u do in vegas?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
I dont really plan to race the WCHRA circuit because of the weight limit and the rules about keeping a stock dash and all that. this is just more of a grudge car than anything. just something to make as light as possible and have some fun in. i plan to build something to race WCHRA but not anytime soon. how did u do in vegas?
Gotcha. Its a good time running heads up stuff if you want to put a little more money into it. But either way the 8.5 tire is fun and can handle a ton.

We lost in the semi's in Vegas on the street tire. Made our best pass of the weekend but just didnt have enough to hold off a 5mph charge.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
Uhhhhhhhhh, yeah-I'm not exactly sure how to interpret that.
Smartass get your head out of the gutter. You know what I mean
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

On a small budget,small tire I agree, Nitrous is hard to beat. You have lots of cheap adjustablility with nitrous. Camscam is perfect example. Just a lil ole cam car with a plate. Work's wonders simply because of a good tuneup and well put together. No reason you couldnt get a little more aggressive and run a stout number.

If you need a hand getting an idea on the nitrous part of this. Shoot me a pm or give me a call.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camscam02
Gotcha. Its a good time running heads up stuff if you want to put a little more money into it. But either way the 8.5 tire is fun and can handle a ton.

We lost in the semi's in Vegas on the street tire. Made our best pass of the weekend but just didnt have enough to hold off a 5mph charge.
congrats on ur best pass. so any plans for ur car over the winter for next season?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
On a small budget,small tire I agree, Nitrous is hard to beat. You have lots of cheap adjustablility with nitrous. Camscam is perfect example. Just a lil ole cam car with a plate. Work's wonders simply because of a good tuneup and well put together. No reason you couldnt get a little more aggressive and run a stout number.

If you need a hand getting an idea on the nitrous part of this. Shoot me a pm or give me a call.
will do. i have always wanted to build a turbo car but i think im leaning more to nitrous cuz i know it works and it works well. plus like i said, im not tryin to break records and a direct port setup is way easier to hook up. maybe when i convert my TA to a class racing car i will go the turbo route.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
congrats on ur best pass. so any plans for ur car over the winter for next season?
Ummmm not really sure yet, depends on money ofcourse. Plans are to #1 make a gear change to help with the 1/8 mile stuff, #2 get kmember/manual rack/strange brakes on, Delete ABS and PS, foglights, horns etc.

Maybe put some heads on it if money allows. Thats about it. But none of it may happen too. Never know with monies.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress

Even with some money to spend you can do a lot with the bottle.......... For example the bottle guru that is know by the Superman logo........

My last BBC had a 300 shot with factory crank and rods and factory main bolts and rod bolts, 2 bolt main and had some lower end forged pistons and head bolts....... no issues at all... it is all in the tune and watching the plugs.........