Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Opinions Fellas. Nitrous Or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Some Opinions Fellas. Nitrous Or Turbo?

I am building a 91 mustang coupe as a track car only and i am pretty confused on what to do. my plan is to strip the whole car down to be less than 2700lbs race weight. i am putting a 6.0 in it that is equiped with ARP rod bolts, and main studs with LS3/L92 heads, a single plane victor jr, and a carb. now what im confused with is i was gonna put a plate system on it, something around a 200 shot max. but i was thinking maybe i should turbo it now? i have never really seen to many turbo cars in person or seen any run in person but i know boost does put down some crazy mph traps. and nitrous is instant power. my question is what would u guys do? nitrous or turbo?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F1 Procharger. You'll never have the excuse my bottle is empty!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Lol i dont think so. Im not that ballin.

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

If you think a F1 is expensive, then you might just stick with nitrous......

It really depends on what you want to do with the car, you are talking two very opposite ends of the spectrum here.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
If you think a F1 is expensive, then you might just stick with nitrous......

It really depends on what you want to do with the car, you are talking two very opposite ends of the spectrum here.
i know they r 2 different things. FI or Nitrous. but i have never looked into buying a F1 pro charger cuz im sure they exceed the price of a quality turbo unit which would run me 1k to 1.5k. hell i can get a quality budget turbo from 1 of our sponsors for 600 bucks. BUT a pro charger unit im sure will be 2k+.

on a side note im not tryin to break records or build a outlaw car. i just wanted everyones opinion on what u thought would be better between a TURBO or N2O performance wise cuz i thought if i posted in the N2O or FI section i would get biased opinions and i was hoping for some racers opinions that have played with the 2 thats all .
Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
i know they r 2 different things. FI or Nitrous. but i have never looked into buying a F1 pro charger cuz im sure they exceed the price of a quality turbo unit which would run me 1k to 1.5k. hell i can get a quality budget turbo from 1 of our sponsors for 600 bucks. BUT a pro charger unit im sure will be 2k+.

on a side note im not tryin to break records or build a outlaw car. i just wanted everyones opinion on what u thought would be better between a TURBO or N2O performance wise cuz i thought if i posted in the N2O or FI section i would get biased opinions and i was hoping for some racers opinions that have played with the 2 thats all .
You can't beat a turbo system! But you will need around $4k or more for a complete setup since you won't be fabbing everything up yourself. $1-1.5k is just for a turbo, but there is a LOT more than that goes into a full setup. I'm not trying to crush your dreams just give you some real world numbers.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't really see anyone going from turbo to another power adder.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by studderin
Maybe when they get sick of not being allowed to curtiousy stage, or burning the trans up waiting to run. Happened to a few well known cars.....

As for the debate, Nitrous is VERY competitive until a certain ET and after which point to does get more expensive then a FI setup just due to the fact that you have to be expecting to eat engine parts on a regular basis. But that ET is well into the 8's and lower.

Every guy out there is going to have an opinion and whether they ever had exp or even worked with a particular set up will be questionable.

If the $$$ is put into the short block and valve train, you can run 200 like its nothing and the motor wont even know its there. Will suck down bottle after bottle and all you need to do is regular matience.

or go FI and be constantly changing salt water/ice mixture for the intercooler, or messing with the tune or a bunch of other things.

I throw these out there as thought peices but what I will say is if your going to race, get out there to the track and start looking at what people are running. They probably wont tell you everything but you look enough, you start to see common trends, especially on stang websites. Certain Combos just "work"
Old 12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The real question is how fast do you want to run? If you are looking for a 9-10 second car then either is reasonable and the overall cost somewhat similar. In that range you will be cheaper up front for nitrous, but you will have to fill bottles so it will cost more per pass. Turbo is more up front, but at that range you can stay with an air to air intercooler and never really do much to the car other than maintenance so it cost very little per pass. NOW if you are looking to go 6-7 seconds, that's a whole different story all together. At that point you will be going through a LOT more nitrous per run. Also your inital cost will be a little more even, same with running cost. As it was said, when you get to a certain point with a turbo car you need a lot of ice to keep it happy. Believe it or not ice adds up quick, and can cost you more than nitrous. So how fast do you want to go?

Sean
Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 PM
7 Second Club

sounds like you need a cheap and easier to maintain... i'd suggest nitrous.

unless its outlaw radial and your looking to bust off some 4.50's

on a small block 4.90's is a pushing point for small blocks on a 275DR.

running 6.00's in the 8th with a run of the mill SBC is no prob.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

L92 heads aren't exactly the best choice for a boosted motor to begin with. 4 bolt head and a thin deck height are the problems with those heads. I say Nitrous is way to go.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird

I definitely understand your point, it is always good to do research before you make your decision. Turbo setup will have quite a bit more upfront cost like everyone stated above. It really depends on what you are wanting to do with the car, and how much money you have to spend.

What are your goals? That might help us give you more specific recommendations.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Broke EF
The real question is how fast do you want to run? If you are looking for a 9-10 second car then either is reasonable and the overall cost somewhat similar. In that range you will be cheaper up front for nitrous, but you will have to fill bottles so it will cost more per pass. Turbo is more up front, but at that range you can stay with an air to air intercooler and never really do much to the car other than maintenance so it cost very little per pass. NOW if you are looking to go 6-7 seconds, that's a whole different story all together. At that point you will be going through a LOT more nitrous per run. Also your inital cost will be a little more even, same with running cost. As it was said, when you get to a certain point with a turbo car you need a lot of ice to keep it happy. Believe it or not ice adds up quick, and can cost you more than nitrous. So how fast do you want to go?

Sean
Thats exactly my point, how fast do you want to go. Also to add when it does come to racing and when I race it is to be competitive. When running 175+ shot, you need to bring MANY 10 pound bottles and to be honest a hot water bath to keep them all at a consistant PSI and then start swapping out every run. Each set up has pros and cons and you gotta decided what your budget allows for.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

thanks everyone for your comments. this is all the stuff i wanted to hear.
my goals are to have a competitive car with some of the local grudge racers in my area. they race 8.5 tire and the top dogs car goes 8.50s or faster with a nitrous setup. now im not looking to go 8.50s at all. just want to compete with the guys around the 9.40s or faster. and most of the 6.0 mustang swaps on here have no problem seeing 9s. so all motor i was hoping for 10.0s or faster and slap a 200 shot on and maybe see 9.20s or faster. that 9.20 would make me a happy man until the motor goes and i could throw a 408 high compression assembly in it and just swap over my Nitrous setup or Turbo setup and go faster than 9.20s easily.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had the cash up front I would have a turbo car.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
You read my mind.

I think you could probably put together a decent budget turbo kit if you took some time, and did the install yourself.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by COOKIE MONSTER
You read my mind.

I think you could probably put together a decent budget turbo kit if you took some time, and did the install yourself.
that would be the plan if i went turbo. i was thinking of building a Borg Werner S400 series turbo kit with truck manifolds to get me started. that is until i would upgrade at a later point. i know enough people that could help me with the merge pipe and the hot and cold side. so it wont b too hard to keep it in the cheap side. just would need to buy all the parts.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
Just the "My belt is slipping" or "my belt keeps getting thrown off"

I worked with a guy that had a 408 with an F1R...... I was not impressed really but it was a good street blower......... for something serious or track only Id say at least an F2 range or an F3R if what you are building will support it when it comes to blower stuff.

I am a turbo fan......
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

UniqueC5 on here has a stock cube F1 set up. He went best of 8.7.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

nitrous isn't cheap either , dont get me wrong it can be but im into my nitrous stuff at over 4 grand , but i love being able to turn 300hp on an off or having the choice of a 100hp or 200 hp or 300hp with the flip of a switch and a push of a button . plus it feels like getting hit in the rear with a freight train