Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Bar in the Daily?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Roll Bar in the Daily?

For Xmas my girlfriend offered to buy the cage kit for my trans am. How many of you daily drive cars with rollbars/cages? Do u get used to it, or does it just get old? Last time I ran it, it went 11.97@113 n/a. So I'm hoping for low 11s with the new setup. Do you all think it's worth it?

Old setup
Ls6 H/C/I
3800 stall
Full bolt ons

New setup
F.A.S.T 90/90
228/230 .585 .585 112
Ls6 heads
Boltons/stall
125 shot(ish) w/ nano

Last edited by kdavis; 12-19-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not bad at all if you have the low-slung bars. Or get swingouts and take them completely out when you're not racing.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swingouts are the best setup I have seen because as RamAir said you can remove them for everyday driving and put them in while at the track.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

X3 Thats what I was gonna say, Your MPH says you will need one anyways once you dial that car in.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a friend who had a cage in his street car and was in a accident. I would love to let you talk to him but unfortunetly he is now dead. See when he got hit it was not that bad most people would have exchanged info and drove home. But when he got hit his head hit the halo bar and he died hours later. Had those extra bars not been in his street car he would still be here today. I hate to be a Buzz kill but its the truth. If you do decide to put a cage in a street car please wear a helmet at all times even on the street.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. I've never personally known anyone this has happened to but I've heard stories of people getting injured by safety equipment on the street. Mainly because it's designed to be used in conjunction with other safety items and if not used properly it becomes a hazard. In the OP's case I' believe he means a "roll bar' rather than "roll cage".

I say go for the removeable door bars.

BTW How was your friend able to hit his head on the halo if he was wearing his harness? I assume he had a harness if the car was fast enough to require a 10pt.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

There is also padding that can be bought for cages in various thicknesses.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

My car has t-tops so would I be fine with a 6/8 point or would I need a 10 point? How fast are door bars legal to? Sorry for all the questions this is a big decision for me
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doughboy692
I had a friend who had a cage in his street car and was in a accident. I would love to let you talk to him but unfortunetly he is now dead. See when he got hit it was not that bad most people would have exchanged info and drove home. But when he got hit his head hit the halo bar and he died hours later. Had those extra bars not been in his street car he would still be here today. I hate to be a Buzz kill but its the truth. If you do decide to put a cage in a street car please wear a helmet at all times even on the street.
I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm sure he is racing in heaven now
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Just to throw something else out there that may not have been thought about.

I know this is a pretty rare occasion but it did happen. I am an insurance agent and a friend of mine just recently switched over to me because his old company recently inspected his car and dropped coverage because it had a non factory installed rollcage. Now he was pissed but I told him he was pretty fortunate that they found out before he was in an accident and they denied coverage when he actually needed it. Not trying to deter you from getting it but something to maybe look into or at least keep in mind
Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

either get removable door bars, or get swingouts! i just the low slung and i regret it now. Pay the extra money and do it right the first time, and i believe a six point will be fine
Old 12-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28
Sorry to hear about your friend. I've never personally known anyone this has happened to but I've heard stories of people getting injured by safety equipment on the street. Mainly because it's designed to be used in conjunction with other safety items and if not used properly it becomes a hazard. In the OP's case I' believe he means a "roll bar' rather than "roll cage".

I say go for the removeable door bars.

BTW How was your friend able to hit his head on the halo if he was wearing his harness? I assume he had a harness if the car was fast enough to require a 10pt.
Yes the car had a harness but if you look up state law you are not legal wearing a harness on the street ( They are not DOT approved,not to mention its a pain in the ***). I agree its safer but they can still write you a ticket. He was wearing a regular seat belt, the car has both because it was raced and driven on the street. The car has SFI padding on the bar but if you have ever felt that stuff it is just about as hard as the bar itself. The car hit him hard enough to make his head goto the left making his head hit the halo bar. If you are tall and Sit in a F-body with a cage you will see how easy it is to hit your head. He was fine right after the accident and was out and talking to the guy but by the time the cops got there he had a terrible headache and they made him goto the hospital. By the time he got there he was in bad shape. My point is this be safe and think things out sometimes stuff that makes you safe at the track can kill you on the street.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

6pt cage wouldn't have a halo bar anyways
Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Doughboy692
Yes the car had a harness but if you look up state law you are not legal wearing a harness on the street ( They are not DOT approved,not to mention its a pain in the ***). I agree its safer but they can still write you a ticket. He was wearing a regular seat belt, the car has both because it was raced and driven on the street. The car has SFI padding on the bar but if you have ever felt that stuff it is just about as hard as the bar itself. The car hit him hard enough to make his head goto the left making his head hit the halo bar. If you are tall and Sit in a F-body with a cage you will see how easy it is to hit your head. He was fine right after the accident and was out and talking to the guy but by the time the cops got there he had a terrible headache and they made him goto the hospital. By the time he got there he was in bad shape. My point is this be safe and think things out sometimes stuff that makes you safe at the track can kill you on the street.
Dude that sucks I'm sorry to hear that about you're friend. But actually about the harnesses if the harness has a cam-lock it is street legal
Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Dude that sucks I'm sorry to hear that about you're friend. But actually about the harnesses if the harness has a cam-lock it is street legal
u have any more info on this?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Your a little guy Kevin. It won't be a problem for you. Even though mine isn't a daily, it doesn't bother me getting in or out of the car when I go to the store, cruise ect....... The only thing bad about a cage is that you can forget about putting people in your back seat. Plus since the closest track is 100+ miles away I don't think you want to spend the cash on just a couple of passes before getting kicked out for no cage................
Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

no head room problem in this one.....

halo bars an all.....

thats a complete cage.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...look-cage.html
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1320
no head room problem in this one.....

halo bars an all.....

thats a complete cage.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...look-cage.html
Very nice job!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigj2717
But actually about the harnesses if the harness has a cam-lock it is street legal
That is wrong. Any seatbelt not installed at the manufacturer is not legal in 99% of all jurisdictions since seatbelts are part of a restraint system including several other items which are all tested in combination.

Also, there is only one company (Schroth if my memory serves me correctly) even makes a DOT approved harness (which is only a 4pt anyway).
Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've only seen one harness that was DOT approved for street use and it was double the $ of a normal SFI harness. I can't remember the name or find it now though. Even if it's a DOT approved harness it's still not a factory installed system so there's a chance you could be cited, kinda depends on the officer. Just another thing to remember NHRA states if you have a roll bar you must have a 5pt harness. This is one of those issues that pops up when you begin the transition from street to race car. It's kinda funny the stuff deemed to be safe for track use isn't safe on the street.

OP I'd say a 6-8 pt with removable door bars will do you fine. Keeping the stock seat belt for street use isn't a bad idea (if you have a roll bar) but you'll have to come up with a different way to mount the 5pt, I used the stock belt mounting location for my harness.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar in the Daily?