Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tubular Front End Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tubular Front End Question

Ok so i have been thinkin about how much motor i want to build and was planning on going with 408 L92 headed nitrous beast with my powerglide and a 9". But i know as my car sits i will need a decent amount of suspension work to keep this thing consistant since its main intent is bracket racing. Problem is i cant afford to do both like i want to, so ive decided to hold off on 408 and just drop in a Heads/Cam LS1 and do all the suspension work i want so i can be ready for 408 when time is ready. And now to the point of thread, sorry lol.

I have been debating and looking around at tubular front end setups and have an idea of how i want to do my setup. Question is tho what weight savings can be expected from so much labor?
This pic is a rough idea of what id like to do minus all the front support extending out as far as he has it.

I plan on deleting the circled section as well and putting a loop with a flat plate on bottom to mount the stock style suspension (cant afford struts). I believe it will be lighter and also give much more room for when workin on motor to remove this section(look much nicer too). I also plan on making a strut tower bar for added support. delete red/add green. just a rough idea...

other plans for front are tubular k-member, Burkhart Drop spindles with Aerospace drag brakes, QA1 coilovers and if i can afford it tubular upper and lower a-arms.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

I would do exactly what he did and leave the stock shock towers. If you do ever decide to sell the car or race some heads up stuff you'd still be legal cause it would be all factory parts. The stock stuff works pretty well!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can leave alot less then Brian did there, you can have just the mounting point for the top a arms, just requires some mroe tubing/bracing to do it.

As for the motor... I have an ET ls7 headed 408 sitting here that I'll let go for a steal... probably suit your needs perfectly Shoot me a PM if it sparks your interest.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

fenton 06
I am going to use stock suspension still. It will have just a different mount but sam location.

jl ws-6
exactly what i plan on doing.
And trust me, id love to have that motor! but im just a poor college kid right now lol if i get all this done and have a little money left over ill hit you up and see if you still have short block.

Been lookin at Burkharts complete front tubular chassis package as well. anybody have any experience with there complete kit? any wieght savings to be had vs going with say UMI stuff? Also i assume fitment is great seeeing the price tag that goes with setup haha. what about motor plates? they have a mid plate for 350 but whats so special about it? jegs has one for lsx motors with a space for 80 bucks... front plate ill def buy from burkhart
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the whole burkhart kit, and it's a badass piece. Couple features about their setup, that sets it apart from the UMI one:

There's no adjustment "slots" for alignment, there's just holes... makes the alignment harder to do initially, but once it's done, it's DONE, and stays where you put it.

Lighter, I guarintee it's at least 20 lbs lighter

You can pull the oil pan while the motor is in the car with their design, something you can not do with any other K member I have seen on one of these cars..

Drop spindles can be built with any drop, or no drop however you want it... and they can be done to run a 3rd gen brake, making the cost alot cheaper!

Overall the burkhart piece is probably one of the nicest setups out there, and it's been in a TON of fast (7 second cars) cars, and stands up well in a racing enviornment.

I can NOT say how it will do on the street.... to me, these aren't really street car parts, at least it's not something I would drive around with knowing the condition of roads here in CT where I am. That being said, I don't know if I would drive around with any of the aftermarket k members... so I may just be overly catuious.

The mid plate Burkhart has is set up so that it won't interfere at all with the headers and whatnot, front plate I have and it worked out good as well. Burkhart also makes their k member with motor mounts on it now, so you don't have to take the motor plate/mid plate route if you don't want to.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a wrecked 99 camaro that i was entertaining this set up instead of having a collision shop fix it.....just cant decide if its the right route...not too much info for a diy on a project like this

Quick Reply: Tubular Front End Question