Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street/strip suspension: what next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default street/strip suspension: what next?

my goal is to get my bolt-on M6 street car into the 11's. i'm at a 12.4 right now, and i think i'm ready for the next round of suspension mods. i've always wanted to lower the car, but didnt want to hurt track performance.

now that BMR has those lowering A-arms, i'm thinking about getting a set of those (along with the non-adj uppers) and doing the heater hose mod on the rear. this should allow me to lower the car and not negatively affect the suspension geometry too much. i'm also trying to decide what shocks to go with it. i'm thinking either HAL or strange single adjustable with 275lb springs. again, its a street car, so i dont want anything too radical.

existing suspension/chassis mods are as follows:
welded SFC's
k-member
STB (yeah probably dead weight i should toss)
adjustable LCAs, PHB and torque arm
stock front and rear sway bars with poly end links
moser 12 bolt, mickey thompson et street radials
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First thing I would do is remove the front sway bar when you are drag racing the car this will allow the car to transfer weight much better, also shocks would make a huge difference I would either do Strange single adjustables all the way around or if you wanted to kind of cheap out you could run the Starnge single adjustable on the fron and use the Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shockd for the rear.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

and i thought i read somewhere on here that the 12-bolts cause your rear to sit a little higher... so would the heater hose mod even be adequate on the rear? or would i need a 1" drop to make the rear even with the front on stock springs and the BMR lowering A-arms?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
and i thought i read somewhere on here that the 12-bolts cause your rear to sit a little higher... so would the heater hose mod even be adequate on the rear? or would i need a 1" drop to make the rear even with the front on stock springs and the BMR lowering A-arms?
I really haven't seen that issues with 12 bolts I have dealt with but it could definitely happen. If you decided you want to do the BMR front lowering A-arms (AA020) which will lower the front an inch you could do the heater hose mod to the rear which will lower the car .75" which will give the car a little bit of a rake or you could use our BMR rear lowering springs which will give it a more level look and the extra stiffness of the rear spring will help with launching the car. I have guys that are using our lowering springs and cutting low-mid 1.3's with other supporting mods.

Kyle

Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have strange double adjustable rear shocks with the isolator removed. Stock front shocks, but I just bought double adj. stranges. The springs are the Eibach drag launch springs, which I have no idea about because they came on the car when I bought it. A good rear sway bar or anti roll bar will be necessary as well, especially on a M6 car. Also, I didn't have any problems with the 12 bolt making the car sit any higher.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I really haven't seen that issues with 12 bolts I have dealt with but it could definitely happen. If you decided you want to do the BMR front lowering A-arms (AA020) which will lower the front an inch you could do the heater hose mod to the rear which will lower the car .75" which will give the car a little bit of a rake or you could use our BMR rear lowering springs which will give it a more level look and the extra stiffness of the rear spring will help with launching the car. I have guys that are using our lowering springs and cutting low-mid 1.3's with other supporting mods.

Kyle
looks like your rear springs are actually 1.25", so it would rake backwards... are strange front shocks height adjust able like the QA1's?

and based on what you're saying, its better to have stiff springs in the rear, but soft springs in the front... and better to have the most adjustable shocks in the rear if you have to cut corners?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
looks like your rear springs are actually 1.25", so it would rake backwards... are strange front shocks height adjust able like the QA1's?

and based on what you're saying, its better to have stiff springs in the rear, but soft springs in the front... and better to have the most adjustable shocks in the rear if you have to cut corners?
The Strange front shock are height adjustable just like the QA1s. Having a stiff spring in the rear will help keep pressure on the tire, especially if you are using a cheaper shock like the Competition Engineering shocks or even the stock shocks. With the Strange you can set the shock to a stiffer setting and it will keep the pressure on the tire also. You just dont want the car to be wasting energy by squatting to much rather than launching forward. The front springs aren't a big deal it is really the shock that allows the weight transfer that needs to happen.

The car already sits with a rake from the factory so if you lower the front 1" using lowering a-arms and the rear 1.25" using lowering springs it will come out to being very close to being level.

Also like someone else previously stated in this thread there will be a point were an anti-roll bar will really help launching the car and be able to launch the car well on a consistent basis. Launching a 6 speed i s a challenge in itself so having the supporting suspension really helps.