Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous to start drag racing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nervous to start drag racing.

Guys I'm going to start drag racing this year for the first time in my life. How do I go about knowing what the hell I'm doing at the track?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your local track have a website/forum? If so, research on there, they should have something like drag racing 101 or something. Ask around on the local forum if there is one. Ask your buddies that you know that race if you have any. Plus im sure all the guys on here will be happy to give input. As far as my advice, don't be too nervous man. It will all go a lot smoother than you think. Its not gonna be perfect the first time of course, but you will enjoy it and get better each time. Good luck man!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

Save your money, stay off the track!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ya what he said. It becomes a drug bc ull want to go faster and faster. I think the worst part sitting in line to get to the lights. After that it's smooth sailing. After the first 2 or 3 runs the edge will go away and ull just fine
Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was nervous as hell too, but once you go down the track a couple times you'll wonder why you were ever nervous to begin with.

I'd say show up early and ask someone on the track's staff any questions you might have about staging and when you can run. Then if you're still nervous watch a few people get in line and run and just follow their lead.

With an M6 just shift make sure you don't miss a gear, I did that all the time in my old Z28. I drive an auto now
Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree dont do it,youll be broke in no time. lol

Watch what everyone is doing for a while and follow what the burn out box guy tells you 2 do. Oh and if you have street tires please go around the water box
Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing to be nervous about. Just go out and watch some cars go down the track. After watching a few and see how you go through or around the water box and how you stage the car go jump in yours and get after it. Just don't run down the track from the water box, don't stage with the back tires, and don't leave the line in reverse! haha... really man there's nothing to be nervous about!

Jon
Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Watch some people at the track, ask your buds what they do there or ask the guys there that are running the same type or close type car what they do. Just research and learn as much as you can, then just go out an do it. Here is my first ever run, it was in a slow, 300K LT1, that only ran 14s, and I said I would just run the car to see what it would do and to pop my drag racing cherry, but after that first run, I ended up doing 8 total runs that night, lol. It is addicting!

View Video on FQuick
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I whent this past summer and it was the first time in years(only 1 run last time)..Anyway ran 13's just to get the rust off and then a 11.90 with a2.0 sixty the next but had some issues with my tune as soon as I got past the eight..My buddy ran a 7.15 in the 8th with my car though..Now I'm hooked now that got my tuned fiexd and gunnin for LOW 11's
Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

just like anything else, just gotta get out there and go.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Make sure to put the car in drive.. seems to be the number one noob mistake.. don't roll through the lights with front tires staging with rear.. don't pay attention to the lights, leave when you are ready your times will be exactly the same regardless of reaction time.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

lol @ what Jon said.

When I first started what helped me was being the very first car at the track that day and being able to make one of the first passes and hot lap the car a little bit without HUNDREDS of poeple there watching me. By the time i was comfortable with making passes the crowds started to get there and then it became fun. a few butterflies before you get in your car and go WOT are normal, just enjoy them
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am FAR from an expert, but here are a few tips. If the track in your area has a "Test and Tune" day, start there. Usually smaller crowds and the starter (if you ask) will walk you through the staging process. Always pay close attention to the guy pointing you to your lane and the guy at the water box. Do not pull up until they tell you to, and stop when they tell you to. They will position your car where it needs to be when you are on the track. (Look for their hand signals) Pay attention and you will not have any problems.

On your first outing, take your daily driver or something you don't have to worry about working on, or have traction issues on the track. Practice staging and cutting good lights against drivers in the other lane. That will show you things like hitting the gas when light turns green is too late. You will also learn how to yield to other cars when exiting the track to the return road. Be aware of the other racer at the end of the track. Just because yaw both crossed the finish line does not mean it's "over." One of you will have to cut across the others lane to get to the return road... If that's you, be mindful of the other racer. If you are not sure where he is, go to the last return road exit and you'll either meet him there or you'll be alone... Either way you'll be OK.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you can see tires marks from the other cars, get in them.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Launching!

If your junk blows up @ midtrack, pull to the side so you don't leak oil/ant-freeze/trans fluid down the rest of the track. Have seen too many people blow their **** up and then just coast down the rest of the 1/4 mile... lanes then shut down extra long for clean up. Don't be that guy!!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_LS1
If your junk blows up @ midtrack, pull to the side so you don't leak oil/ant-freeze/trans fluid down the rest of the track. Have seen too many people blow their **** up and then just coast down the rest of the 1/4 mile... lanes then shut down extra long for clean up. Don't be that guy!!
+1. but go out and have a good time. pretend its a set of lights if you want.
but id a drug thats for sure.
Cheers Ian

Quick Reply: Nervous to start drag racing.