Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on chutes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Default School me on chutes!

Well this year we are planning on putting a chute on the car, but we need some help. The big question is launcher or no launcher. From what I can tell the wolfe style mount looks like its for a non launcher set up that will use a pilot chute. Is this right, or no? Is a launcher really needed? What advantages/disadvantages are there to either style? Basically any info you can add to chute knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

biggest thing is with a launcher you can pack and remount the chute by yourself. with the old school spring type pilot chute style you will need two sets of hands. a launcher also helps to get the chute away from the car and into the air stream which will deploy faster. also for those cars with wheelie bars the launcher will keep the chute from just dropping onto the wheelie bars and causing things like delayed(or non) deployment, and the possibility of the chute blossoming with the tethers tangled in the bars and possibly causing a crash.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also the pilots are heavy so they drag and beat the ground once you start to slow down, so they will need to be replaced after awhile if you use the chute on a regular basis. A Stroud mechanical launcher is the best option in my opinion. Easy to pack by yourself, deploys faster than a chute with a pilot, and you don't have to worry about wearing out as fast if you regularly use it.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 AM
9 Second Club

So a launcher is the way to go huh. Now I guess lets move on to size. According to the calculator on Strouds website, we need a massive chute. Rounding numbers the car will weigh 3250 at the most, should MPH 160, which comes out to (3250x160)/1000=520. Of course for the MPH its a guess since we havnt gone that fast yet. It may go slower than that, and it may go faster than that. I know we are not the heaviest and/or the fastest so what size should we really get?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I know it isn't a good idea to use whatever chute that Big Daddy Don Garlets used on his last run!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stroud with launcher all the way.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

stroud chute for sure. If your willing to spend the extra money for the launcher, get it. Its worth the extra money just by being easier to pack.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

My chute is a spring loaded one from DJ Safety. It does take two people to pack, atleast I always use two people when I do it. I don't use it every pass so I didnt think it was worth the money for one with a launcher. Who ever you go with just call them and give them your cars mph & weight and they spec out what size chute you need.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

stroud with pilot is fine...sure the pilot wears out over time, but they are offered separately from stroud for ~80 dollars.

go with the stroud 430 (prostock) chute...packs really easily due to the inner bag design...I helped pack a simpson once and would never own one after that
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A Stroud chute and launcher package is what we will be installing. it is exactly what you need and some of the best products out there for safety. I'll get the correct size chute and launcher for you guys when we do the install.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
A Stroud chute and launcher package is what we will be installing. it is exactly what you need and some of the best products out there for safety. I'll get the correct size chute and launcher for you guys when we do the install.
It was always going to be a Stroud chute, there was never a question on that. I was just interested in learning more about launchers since I dont know much about them. We figured a spring launcher was the way to go, but again without having any knowledge I wanted to double check. Thanks for the help guys.

Eric, as always thanks for all your help. Hopefully the car will be much faster, and much safer this year!

Sean