Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which front coilover spring for mild weight reduction street/strip car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default which front coilover spring for mild weight reduction street/strip car

01 Firehawk 80/20 street/strip, so i dont want it too bouncy on the street. trying to decide between 275 or 300 lb spring to go with strange single adjustable shocks

has/will have the following weight reduction on the front end:
-k member
-sway bar removed
-upper and lower a-arms
(has kooks long tubes and ORY, which i'm not sure if its heavier than stock manifolds & stock cats/y)

i assume other weight reduction stuff doesnt matter when choosing front springs? if it does, i can list out other mods.

seems like most people go with 300lb spring on 'street' cars, but i didn't know if taking just 50-ish lbs off the front end was enough to warrant going to the 275lb springs.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I was told 300 unless you have pulled a lot of weight out of the car. If its just mild stuff then I say 300.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would definitely recommend the 300lb spring, removing the little bit of weight you did doesn't justify running a 275lb spring. If you need a pair let me know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kyle, you know what the weight diffrence is between stock front coils and the once you sell? My buddy got a set a few weeks ago form you, and side they were a bunch lighter then the stocks. He didn't weight them, but knows I look into that stuff I'm still running stock front coils.

and whats the rate on stock coils anyway?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by studderin
Kyle, you know what the weight diffrence is between stock front coils and the once you sell? My buddy got a set a few weeks ago form you, and side they were a bunch lighter then the stocks. He didn't weight them, but knows I look into that stuff I'm still running stock front coils.

and whats the rate on stock coils anyway?
Are you talking about the difference between the coil-over style spring and the stock spring? If you are there is a 2.5lb difference between the two which doesn't seem like much but it is over 30% weight savings when compared to the stock spring. The spring rate of stock Z28 spring is 291lbs in the front.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Are you talking about the difference between the coil-over style spring and the stock spring? If you are there is a 2.5lb difference between the two which doesn't seem like much but it is over 30% weight savings when compared to the stock spring. The spring rate of stock Z28 spring is 291lbs in the front.
Is there a difference between that 291 rate for the stock z and like say an SS/Ws6 spring rate? Do the 1le cars come with stiffer springs? Thanks for the info.

hey slayer, how do you like those strange sing adj shocks? Im in the market for new shocks/springs too...

Last edited by Fb0dy0nly; 02-01-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the smaller sized aftermarket coils that fit the adjustable shocks. Over the stock bigger coils springs.

thanks for that info.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Is there a difference between that 291 rate for the stock z and like say an SS/Ws6 spring rate? Do the 1le cars come with stiffer springs? Thanks for the info.

hey slayer, how do you like those strange sing adj shocks? Im in the market for new shocks/springs too...
The SS/WS6 springs are rated at 360 lbs/in. The 1LE cars come with the 360lb front springs.

My personal experience is that the Strange adjustable shocks are probably the best adjustable shocks of the cheaper more affordable shock available. I drove a car with them on the street for quite a while and I really didn't think you could even tell that they were there. It is nice becuase you can just tighten them up when you want to drive the car on the streets and loosen them up for the track.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
havent even bought them yet. this thread is part of my homework on figuring out what i'm actually buying.

my goal for 2011 is to get my bolt-on car into the 11's.
my shopping list for my next round of mods is:
-bmr lowering a-arms & upper a-arms
-bmr rear springs
-strange single adjustables in the front
-competition engineering 3ways in the rear
-LCA relocation brackets

now that i have my front spring rate figured out, i'm just waiting for all the vendors to have their tax season sales so i can make the damn purchase already
Old 02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with 300lb springs I actually with to a 315lb spring.

Quick Reply: which front coilover spring for mild weight reduction street/strip car