Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 RaceTech update

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 RaceTech update

Well since I got rid of the camaro and decided to get back into a dragster I figured I'd atleast do a small write up on everything that is being updated on the car. Especially since I don't have anything else to do in the off-season!

This year we're going to give the IHRA Summit Super Series a try and also do a couple of the big buck races and also the BTE Million Dollar Drag Race which will be in Montgomery, AL this year.

I know it's not a LS1, 10.5 Outlaw/Drag radial car, or anything of that nature...but it's something different.

Anyway, I traded my 1999 Camaro straight across for this 1998 RaceTech dragster; Turn key for Turnkey. The car is out of Moncks, SC and the guy that i traded has already sold my old camaro locally (In his town).

The motor is a 468BBC with all the normal goodies of a Super Pro dragster.Motor and transmission is suppose to have 15 passes on them. The car is "suppose" to run 4.90's in the 1/8th and that was with a 230lb driver (I'm 158lbs) so maybe it will be just a tad quicker

The paint was terrible and looked like a five year old kid tried to paint it with finger paint, so we decided to lay down a coat of gloss black on it until I can afford to have the car wrapped.

It needs to be rewired. Really don't like how all the wiring is jumbled up and "butt connected" together, so this will be fixed here soon. Also just got my new Pro Cube delay box in today with Z-Force

For anyone looking into a delay box I definitely recommend the Pro Cube. VERY easy to use.

There's a lot of stuff that is going to be updated so I'll just keep the list going when everything gets rolling.

-Body/Paint
-New hood scoop
-New Headlights, interior lights, tail light
-New K&R Pro Cube delay box
-New dash
-Re wiring
-Checking all the fluids. Engine/Transmission/Rear
-New Valvoline 20-50 VR1 oil
-New Autolite plugs AR3393
-Barry Grant 400 fuel pump
-Aeromotive fuel regulator
-3" scoop tray

More coming soon so on to the pictures!
First race/ First pass (In this dragster) will hopefully be this weekend for the Ground Hogs race at Prescott, AR

Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 AM
9 Second Club

Last edited by StreetSilverado; 02-02-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good... I've always wanted to build one of these. The problem isn't building the car, it's buying the truck and trailer to pull it around with!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Skinny
Looking good... I've always wanted to build one of these. The problem isn't building the car, it's buying the truck and trailer to pull it around with!
We stuffed ours in a 24ft V Nose since we just have a small moped . Low height and pulls great,very good MPG with it too.

My little 05' Silverado 4.3L pulls it fairly easy. Hoping to trade our 2004 Dodge dually in on a motor home though. Gas going back and forth to the hotel plus the room itself gets expensive.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Motorhome, is a nice thing to have. If you had a 1 ton truck, I'd suggest looking for a trailer with living qtr's in it. That's not quite as nice, but an option alot of people overlook.

a 36 footer with 10 feet of living space, and the bed up on top of the 5th wheel setup is pretty decent.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good Brother. Good luck this season.

Coach
Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I know the guy you traded cars with very well, I lived in SC for 10 years(98-08). He is probably the most known guy at any track around SC. If he said it runs 4.9's then thats what he ran with, he is very honest. I didnt know he sold the car already, I know it broke the first time he took it the track though, that was the last time I talked to him. Good luck with the dragster, I had one and was putting a LSX motor in but sold it when I moved back to TX.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by minytrker
I know the guy you traded cars with very well, I lived in SC for 10 years(98-08). He is probably the most known guy at any track around SC. If he said it runs 4.9's then thats what he ran with, he is very honest. I didnt know he sold the car already, I know it broke the first time he took it the track though, that was the last time I talked to him. Good luck with the dragster, I had one and was putting a LSX motor in but sold it when I moved back to TX.
Thats really good to know. I guess he sells/trades vehicles quiet often? He had my car for about two weeks and said he sold it locally.

Del Harwell is his name if I remember correctly? Car has some nice parts, just needs a little cleaning up. I remember him saying something messed up the first weekend out with it and then he had everything rebuilt and the motor/trans only has 15 passes since the rebuild.

Hope to see you around this season coach! Good luck to you also.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Motorhome, is a nice thing to have. If you had a 1 ton truck, I'd suggest looking for a trailer with living qtr's in it. That's not quite as nice, but an option alot of people overlook.

a 36 footer with 10 feet of living space, and the bed up on top of the 5th wheel setup is pretty decent.
We had originally planned on getting a trailer with living quarters or buying our buddies 44ft and putting quarters in it, but GEEZ those trailers got expensive.

We got this 24ft for $4,000 and hoping to trade the dually for a nice motorhome here locally. If that deal falls through then maybe we can sell the truck for around $10,000 and pay cash for the motorhome.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
9 Second Club

Now some updates for the night.

I started cleaning up some of the wiring and also got the new dash built/painted tonight. Tomorrow I'll pick up my new seat cushion and mount the new dash and wire up the new delay box; looks pretty sweet and it's coming along nicely

Pics will be up tomorrow evening.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet! Keep the pics coming.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Thats really good to know. I guess he sells/trades vehicles quiet often? He had my car for about two weeks and said he sold it locally.

Del Harwell is his name if I remember correctly?
Thats him. He has bought and sold more cars than everyone I know put together. Hell I have had over 60 cars and dont even come close to how many he had. He has some badass racecars over the years.
The rearend broke on your old car. I am sure he the parts laying around to fix it.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by minytrker
Thats him. He has bought and sold more cars than everyone I know put together. Hell I have had over 60 cars and dont even come close to how many he had. He has some badass racecars over the years.
The rearend broke on your old car. I am sure he the parts laying around to fix it.
No ****? What broke in the rear? We just put some nice Motive 4.33 gears in it and it has a nice strange full spool. Only thing I didn't like were the 31 spline axles.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Looks like a lot of fun.a

What does something like that weigh?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 AM
11 Second Club

I like the dash... good work.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by custm2500
Looks like a lot of fun.a

What does something like that weigh?
A hardtail like the one I have is around 1,8xx with me in it at 158lbs. A nice fourlink can weigh anywhere around 300-500 more depending on how much more you want to add to it.

Thats why you see most of the guys with 565BBCs running 4.80s and my little hardtail running 4.90s with a 468BBC.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Skinny
I like the dash... good work.
Thanks. Took me and my grandpa a good four hours to get everything done to it and then had my buddy paint it with a thick Imron black.

The bad thing is that it's been two days and the damn paint still hasn't dried so I'm gonna run up town and get it wrapped in a carbonfiber effect. I don't have the time to wait on this this to dry any longer; gotta get the dragster out of the shop so I can make some money

I plan on getting the whole dragster wrapped in a couple months; this is the reason the car was just painted a solid black
Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 PM
9 Second Club

Dash is done, wired up the delay box, all the interior lights and the headlights/taillights. Put the body on yesterday and the paint isn't all that great in some spots; looks like the old paint had some weird reaction to the black Imron we painted it with.

So tomorrow I'm going to call the local guy that does vehicle wraps and see if I can get a price on getting a wrap in a solid carbonfiber effect and apply it here at the shop.

Here's some more pictures for now.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wonder what that rail would do with my 408 in it.... it would be a good 100 lbs lighter with the ls motor....

Quick Reply: 1998 RaceTech update