Sponsored by:

Tubes vs No Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
ive seen the same thing first hand, after that i refuse to use it as well

i havent screwed my wheels yet because ive been debating selling them, but they spin about an inch on every launch.
WOW, I watched the guys break mine down off my 15x10 Welds with no problem. I will definitely pay closer attention going forward to avoid the bending.

However the trick does work, I guess you just have to weigh your options. For me it was the best option at the time and until they start slipping I will stick with the High Tack.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Putting soap inside the tire, like any liquid dish soap does absolutely work to stop them from going flat. The issue with screws, is that they commonly will leak at the screw holes, due to the screw poking thru the tire all the way giving the air a way out, which is why I'd run tubes from now on with screws in the wheels.

If you can get away without the screws then I wouldn't use a tube.

But, I went dbl beadlock, so now I have the benefit of screws, without the headache of having to deal with them.. I'm going to try it without the tubes, if they don't leak, then I won't run tubes. If they leak at all, tubes are going right in there.

For the OP I'd reccommend tubes for him, since the weight of the car is up there, and the tube will make the tire act like it's stiffer. He will have to screw the rim, because you can't run a tube without a dbl beadlock, or screws... the tire moves on the rim it will rip off the valvestep, cause the tire to go flat, possibly wrecking the car like mentioned above, etc.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

When you screw wheels the screws aren't supposed to stick all the way through the tire! Just stab into the bead slightly. The surface that the screw embeds into isn't the surface the tire seals on so there shouldn't be any leaks.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

i ran my set of hoosier slicks without tubes for a while and had troubles with the screws not biting into the tire and pushing the bead off and leaking so i went to tubes and have had no issues yet
Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by custm2500
When you screw wheels the screws aren't supposed to stick all the way through the tire! Just stab into the bead slightly. The surface that the screw embeds into isn't the surface the tire seals on so there shouldn't be any leaks.
On paper that would seem to be the truth.. but it never works that way. I've been down this road several times over the years....

Tire slips on rim, put screws in, tires leak like a ****. Happens with every type of rim and tire it seems, and it doesn't make a hoot of difference what kind of screw or length you use.... just is what it is.

Tubes with screws, maybe with beadlocks, that's all there is to it.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We tried to run screws with no tubes and its just a pain in the butt, they go flat quick. We put tubes back in it.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
On paper that would seem to be the truth.. but it never works that way. I've been down this road several times over the years....

Tire slips on rim, put screws in, tires leak like a ****. Happens with every type of rim and tire it seems, and it doesn't make a hoot of difference what kind of screw or length you use.... just is what it is.

Tubes with screws, maybe with beadlocks, that's all there is to it.
I have no personal experience but a guy I work with has screwed many sets of wheels, including a set he just did for a Samaria for off roading. He has also done them for drag cars. I don't think he has ever used tubes that I remember. I will ask him if I talk to him this weekend or worse case Monday. I know he doesn't have any leaking issues regardless of drag race or off road, but I will have to verify he doesn't use tubes,I know he didn't on the last set of Sammie tires he just did.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Race your car!

The offroad tires are a different deal, they're most likly abotu 3 times as thick and have a TON more material, both in the rim and the tire, I wouldn't expect them to have the same issues leaking. I also have NO idea why you would screw them for offroad use.. if you are running the pressure so low that you have problems with the tires coming off the bead, you should be running a bead lock type rim. Screws help, but aren't a total replacement for beadlock wheels.

My experience with these things is real world, not 2nd hand, not my cousin's brother's uncle's, 3rd nephew's next door neibhor type ****.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Full slicks with 8 screws per side. Took tubes out last year.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

i have had my tires screwed for a year or so now did the soap trick have never had them leak down . i run goodyears ,my buddy with mickeys seem to go flat all the time even with the soaping of the tires
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Stupid question to follow....

My car has 26x11.5x15 MT ET Streets (Bias of course) - no tubes. I typically run 14-15psi on them and dead hook with shitty high 1.6 low 1.7 60's. All my videos show I'm murdering the sidewall.

If I switch to a 26x10 or 28x10 stiff sidewall MT slick would I still kill the sidewall without a tube? I really don't want to drill my wheels for screws. If I went 28" it'd get 4.56's as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Race your car!

The S slick has a TOn more material in the sidewalls, you won't have anywhere near the issues with the sidewall getting crushed.

I know the issue you're having, been there with that tire, know all about it. The sidewall's are really soft, you really almost have to have a tube with them.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

So if the screws go all the way through the tire wouldnt it tear up the tubes?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

The screws don't (and should never) go all the way through, the leaking is caused by the pressure points created. I run tubes and screws on the Mustang, mainly because to get the traction I need, gotta run these tires soft. It's got the 4-lug rear in it still and stock tubs, no wheel choices + no room = sucky. It used to have 26x10.5's that I moved to the Camaro when it got some 28's, the 26's sealed up without tubes (no screws) even though they have had screws in them for a long time. My theory is that the screws push the bead in just enough to let air leak by.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there a reason more ppl dont run a beadlock? Maybe a little excessive for a 10 to 11 sec car, but a 10 sec M6 car hits the tires pretty hard.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Race your car!

1000 bucks a piece or beadlocks unless you go with the sander engineering ones, like I did. Other issue is you have to run drag brakes so they don't hit the inner ring, and with the offset's available, you will probably have to narrow the rear to put a beadlock wheel on.

I couldn't get the 15x12 with anything more then a 5 inch backspace... so the things stick out about 5 inches LOL. rear's gonna get narrowed 6 inches per side, shocks, control arms, phb, all getting shifted inward at the same time to do that too.

A 15x10 I think you can get a 5 inch backspace with too, but that's still gonna require at least a 2.75 inch cut on the axle to get the thing inward enough so the tire's aren't chico style out of the wheel well.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

http://cwibeadlock.com/SSc1lock.htm The speed series look to be about 500 for single locks And they look pretty good, wondering if I am missing something. Lucky I have drag brakes Wonder If they would work fine for a slower M6 car. Sorry for the Hi jack OP
Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Race your car!

Single lock doesn't get it done though, you need it on both sides, or you're screwing the tire on one side, and beadlocking the other (defeats the purpose)

I also heard how much those wheels weigh.. #'s I have heard were about 40% heavier then what the other brands are....
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Single lock doesn't get it done though, you need it on both sides, or you're screwing the tire on one side, and beadlocking the other (defeats the purpose)

I also heard how much those wheels weigh.. #'s I have heard were about 40% heavier then what the other brands are....
answered my questions. Was also wondering about weight of them thought they would be heavy. Would probly be good on my street/strip car. I hate screws wonder how much $$ to beadlock my street lites
Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Race your car!

I have a local guy that does the OMF bead lock conversion if you want I can get you his contact info, shoot me a PM

Quick Reply: Tubes vs No Tubes