Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage questions! NHRA experts welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cage questions! NHRA experts welcome!

So i've been reading up alot on cages. Sadly most of the things i'm coming across are for street cars modified for the track. I need info for a fiberglassed body hot rod.

This is it:

It has a removable hardtop, so im betting it's considered a convertible. With my combo, although i've never been to the track before, i expect under 13's my first time out, and eventually getting into the 10's with spray.

I won't be at the track too often, unless i get addicted quickly. But the car will be daily driven, and i want it to be safe. The glass isn't much protection if i get t-boned.

Since its an aftermarket body, and the floors and firewall aren't original to anything, im assuming i need a full cage??? I know swing-outs for doors are acceptable up to 8.50 i think. What about having the windsheild loop and bars from the overhead bar to the windshield, can they be removable? I't might look a little funky when the top is off, or possibly bad *** idk.

Looking for any advice, along any good information sources are great too.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong but a removable hard top is still considered a hardtop as long as the top is on, ttops are still considered hardtops.

No part(other than swing out doorbars) can be removable, expecially not the upper halo and front bars because thats where all of your support is.

Any cage you get will need to be custom

Last edited by MrElectric03; 02-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, any nhra officials on this board???
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The body composition has no bearing on rules other than convertibles. Assuming that car has a real steel frame from something like 2x3 tube, the rules state that all attaching points of the roll bar or cage must be directly to that frame. A "roll bar" is a minimum 6 points(on a full frame car) with forward and lateral support of the main hoop(other stipulations apply). A "roll cage" is the same 6 point(minimum) bar with the addition of the upper halo and a-pillar bars. The roll bar is required on hardtop vehicles from 11.49 1/4 mile to 10.0, the roll cage is required at 9.99 and quicker. As stated earlier, the only bars that are NHRA legal removable are the swingout style door bars and only to 8.50.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was measuring out the car for the cage and im really hoping its considered a hardtop. Its a vert tight fit, and will reduce visability.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be considered a hardtop AS LONG as the top is on. I would go ahead and do an 8pt so that you wouldn't get hassled about the bar going in behind the dash being that you don't have a stock firewall.

Usually just for Test N Tune, track aren't going to tear it down to look. They aren't going to be hard nosed about it unless your going to run a series in NHRA/IHRA.

Only the door bars can be removable.

More than likely you could get by with a 6pt, but an 8pt would be better.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so i've decided to stick to a roll bar, but still at a hoop on its own inside the firewall, with connections to the front of the frame.

Why not just connect that to the rear roll bar? Well there really isn't much room to begin with, and since i will be on the street 99% of the time i'll avoid the loss of visibility and space.