Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driveshaft RPM

Just wondering if what setups people have for logging Driveshaft RPM to see what the converter/transmission are doing? I know BS3, FAST, etc. have these sensors...but what are people using that still utilize the factory computer? Would just be nice to see what the transmission is doing going down the track.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Racepack as far as I knew, didnt know about the others. Subscribing, I wanna know more about this, all the really fast cars I have seen log this to optimize the traction tune (bringing in boost or Nitrous). Another thing I just found out this past weekend @ SGMP (Redemption II) is that they are also using G-meters, never would have guessed that myself.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Racepack as far as I knew, didnt know about the others. Subscribing, I wanna know more about this, all the really fast cars I have seen log this to optimize the traction tune (bringing in boost or Nitrous). Another thing I just found out this past weekend @ SGMP (Redemption II) is that they are also using G-meters, never would have guessed that myself.
Yeah, I forgot about Racepack. G Meters? That sounds interesting...

Hopefully we will have some people chime in here.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The vehicle speed sensor is a driveshaft speed sensor. You can monitor Vss and engine speed with any OBD scanner. Simple arithmetic will give you TC slip.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gary Z
The vehicle speed sensor is a driveshaft speed sensor. You can monitor Vss and engine speed with any OBD scanner. Simple arithmetic will give you TC slip.
I wondered about this...what would the formula be to figure it?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have racepak syste which is sport man it has the g meter and drive shaft sensor and volt and rpm .. So after the run you can go back and do your reading and the good part with it you can add any sensor in the fetcher if you want And you can log them with the racepak soft wear . And it's so easy to install .
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Autometer has a tach that has the output for both driveshaft and crank RPM, that way after a run you can go back and look at it, if you want to do something and not change PCM's or go with a race pack dash type setup...

I think they're about 600 bucks, alot of $ for a tach I know, but it's alot cheaper then most of the other options.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Autometer has a tach that has the output for both driveshaft and crank RPM, that way after a run you can go back and look at it, if you want to do something and not change PCM's or go with a race pack dash type setup...

I think they're about 600 bucks, alot of $ for a tach I know, but it's alot cheaper then most of the other options.
This is the route I would go... Autometer has software to save/view/analyze the data, or you can watch either channel playback on the tach which could be easier for some to digest. There's one in the classifieds a few pages deep, they are spendy though...
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

http://www.tciauto.com/Content/Stati...ookieSupport=1
Old 03-12-2011, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bpope
I wondered about this...what would the formula be to figure it?
DriveShaftRPM = MPH*1056*RearGearRatio/(TireDiameter*Pi)

Notes: Pi = 3.14159, TireDiameter (inches), The factor 1056 converts miles/hour to inches/minute
You can record Vss (MPH) and Engine RPM using HPTuners Scanner and export the log to Microsoft Excel
Then using the above formula, calcluate:

TorqueConverterSlip = EngineRPM - TransRatio*DriveShaftRPM

Excel is an easy way to do these calculations and display the results graphically.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gary Z
DriveShaftRPM = MPH*1056*RearGearRatio/(TireDiameter*Pi)

Notes: Pi = 3.14159, TireDiameter (inches), The factor 1056 converts miles/hour to inches/minute
You can record Vss (MPH) and Engine RPM using HPTuners Scanner and export the log to Microsoft Excel
Then using the above formula, calcluate:

TorqueConverterSlip = EngineRPM - TransRatio*DriveShaftRPM

Excel is an easy way to do these calculations and display the results graphically.
Thanks so much for the help. My car has TH350 - so hopefully that sensor is still hooked up. I will have my tuner send me the logs to see if I can check this out.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft RPM