Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weighed a stock spindle today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
Not bad but was hoping for 45+. Thanks for the info! Got the whole setup for $560 shipped so i'm not complaining!!
Tha is a killer price! Considering a bathroom scale plus boxes, etc...you are right there on the weight.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get lucky once in a while! LOL You'd be even more impressed if you knew what i paid for my car! Just lucky sometimes!

Well im sure i'll be well over my 50 lb weight loss once i add the strange rear brakes. Then deleting the abs crap and going with a strange manual master cyl should get me close to -75 lbs or better hopefully. This is the first car i've put on a diet. No cutting yet though.

I think i'm hijacking the thread....my apologies to the op.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My stock 93-02 uncut (brake ears) spindle with stock ABS hub and 2inch 12mm ARP studs 40.8#'s for the pair
Racecraft 2inch drop 93-02 spindles for 3rd gen brakes. NOT ultralights (ever lighter spindles) With the strange hub and 2inch 1/2 wheel studs 28.4#s for the pair
12.4 #s lighter going to the 3rdgen style spindles

Stock 93-02 spindles with the ears trimmed off (to fit the 93-02 brakes), With the strange hub and 2inch 1/2 wheel studs 37.2#'s
3.6#'s lighter then stock parts

More real numbers, I'll get the fully assembled brake setups later.

Stock front rotors 38.2#s pair
Strange pro2 rotors 13.6#'s pair
24.6 savings in the front rotors

Last edited by studderin; 04-13-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Launching!

A few more numbers to throw in for everyone.

My Stock LS1 Rotors, pads, calipers (clearanced for 15" rims), and spindals weighed 50.2 per side on my scale.

New Burkhart Spindals with 3rd gen Aerospace brake setup weighed 23.2 per side.

Total savings 54lbs.

I've lost 167lbs off the front of the car this winter (includes moving battery to trunk). Think it's good for the last tenth i'm looking for?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

Quite possible! Throw in a th350 with a brake and at least a 4400 stall and you'd be there all day long! But driving it would suck *** which is why i would never do that myself. Good luck hitting that 9 second pass!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

One more weigh in...Stock spindles with ears removed, Strange aluminum hub, rotor and caliper with brackets and nearly new pads and 2 1/2" studs.....29.5# each.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good info TAGOES11S. Are you using the stock rack, or wheels? I'll get the weight of the racecraft spindle with the strange pro2 3rd gen brake kit, and my stock stuff for reference.

You have to be careful about piling parts on a scale like that and getting a good reading. The weight has to be balanced and centered. If its tipping, and off balanced the scale will bind and real less. Move the parts around and you will get diffrent numbers. I found its better to do the weight yourself, and hold the part close to your body. We stand centered and balanced on the scale.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
But driving it would suck ***
Have you ever tried driving a non-overdrive car on the street?

When my car was 3600 lbs and I was running it n/a I drove it around, with a set of 4.10's and a 28 inch tire, with a 5200 n/a converter. The ONLY part that was bad was trying to go anywhere on the highway. It required either keeping the car at 60 mph (2500 rpm) or ya have to spin it up a good bit to go faster....

Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. Considering I knew I could put my foot right up the *** of pretty much anything I came across, even from a roll on the highway, well at least to about 145 where it ran out of gear.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only thing I wouldn't do, is have a setup that required race fuel and try to do that. The 8 mpg isn't a big deal even at the 4.25 it is here in CT for super. 13 bucks a gallon for good race fuel? That sucks ***.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

I'm ALL highway around here so maybe around town it's a lot better to deal with for sure. I haven't had a non OD tranny since my '79 TA over 15 yrs ago. It wasn't all that bad on the highway but it had 2.73 gears in it too! LOL Not quite the same at the 4.11's i have now or even the 3.70's i'll have soon. But i do about 70 everywhere i go living in the country and would feel like i'm crawling if i had to step it down to 60. If i move back to the city this summer and decide to stay there if i find work, then who knows. I'd much rather sell my built 4l60 while it's good then to tear it up and come 100% out of pocket for a th350.

I guess i could just try driving it in 3rd after the gear swap and see if i could live with it and go from there. How much less does a th350 weight vs a 4l60?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
Good info TAGOES11S. Are you using the stock rack, or wheels? I'll get the weight of the racecraft spindle with the strange pro2 3rd gen brake kit, and my stock stuff for reference.

You have to be careful about piling parts on a scale like that and getting a good reading. The weight has to be balanced and centered. If its tipping, and off balanced the scale will bind and real less. Move the parts around and you will get diffrent numbers. I found its better to do the weight yourself, and hold the part close to your body. We stand centered and balanced on the scale.
Not sure if you were talking to me or not but on my shipping scale it doesn't matter where you load the weight, it comes out the same every time. I've tested it by putting everything in the middle and then on each corner and it's the same to the 10th every time. However i'm sure you're right on a standard bathroom scale such as the one i originally weighed just the spindle on.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Studderin, I switched over to a Burkhart Manual rack as well. I've decided to switch the upper a-arms out at the last minute since it's the only stock piece left in the front suspension. I'll have everything back together next week and I'll report back on fitment etc.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I weighted my stock stuff, for some numbers on the brake and spindle setups

Factory 01'Z brake and spindle setups right off the car. Spindles (uncut), rotors, pads, calipers (not ground), 2.5inch ARP m12 studs 103.2 pounds for the pair

Racecraft 2inch drop spindles (normal, non ultralight) Strange pro2 3rd gen brake kit, greased right off the car. 2.5inch 1/2 wheel studs (alum rotor hat, this PN and model not available right now) Right at 50.0 pounds for the pair.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

awesome weight savings!! my only question is how streetable is it ?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
9 Second Club

The spindle is the only thing i was concerned about getting so i got picked up the 4th gen conversion that uses the stock unit. There's a big weight savings to be had with the after market ones and 3rd gen strange setups. I live in the country so i'm not worried about streetability much at all since i can go miles and miles before finding a stop sign or light! LOL
Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

my camra got stolen, but I have some cell pics I need to get up. But want to get these weight listed while I have them. I bought a set of burkhart spindles for 3rd gen brakes (stock height) So I have had stock, racecraft and Burhart parts I'll organize this better with the pics for better reference.

Burthart spindles with the strange hubs, studs, greased ready to bolt on. 26.8#'s for the pair. (1.6#'s lighter then racecraft, 14.0# lighter then stocks)

The bare spindles are 19.4#s for the pair with castle nut, and caliper bracket hardware (3/8-24 bolts w/ nyloc nuts, and a .250 slum spacer)
Old 10-16-2011, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

How streetable would the burkhart units be?

I'm interested in doing a light(er) weight spindle and 3rd gen drag brake set.

The racecraft spindles look like the strongest (albeit heaviest) spindle available, and I'm fine with that, since I can go with 3rd gen brakes as well, but I think a 2" drop will be a little much.
If burkhart spindles are up to the task of a little weekend cruising with a responsible driver (who knows to dodge a pot hole) I'll go with them.
Any input?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

i'd say go for it if you live where the roads are good! it's a very nice weight reduction for sure and i would think as long as you have adj height struts you can always raise it up. might ask them if they have one that doesn't have a 2" drop just to see what they say. GL
Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
How streetable would the burkhart units be?

I'm interested in doing a light(er) weight spindle and 3rd gen drag brake set.

The racecraft spindles look like the strongest (albeit heaviest) spindle available, and I'm fine with that, since I can go with 3rd gen brakes as well, but I think a 2" drop will be a little much.
If burkhart spindles are up to the task of a little weekend cruising with a responsible driver (who knows to dodge a pot hole) I'll go with them.
Any input?
Just becarefull before you order and cover all your basis. Neither of these will except a stock 17 inch wheel....
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Just becarefull before you order and cover all your basis. Neither of these will except a stock 17 inch wheel....
Well, that really throws a wrench in things. The convexed curve of the burkhart units look like a standard 8" or 9" wheel would hit the area of the spindle that runs from the hub to the upper ball joint.
The racecraft spindle looks more like a factory unit that's fabbed instead of cast/forged, but the added in 2" drop really kills it.
I think a stock height racecraft spindle would work great. Basically a slightly lighter stock looking spindle that runs 3rd gen brakes.

Oh well, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and run drag wheels all the time
Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
Well, that really throws a wrench in things. The convexed curve of the burkhart units look like a standard 8" or 9" wheel would hit the area of the spindle that runs from the hub to the upper ball joint.
The racecraft spindle looks more like a factory unit that's fabbed instead of cast/forged, but the added in 2" drop really kills it.
I think a stock height racecraft spindle would work great. Basically a slightly lighter stock looking spindle that runs 3rd gen brakes.

Oh well, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and run drag wheels all the time
Totally what i thought also. I spoke with Racecraft about just making a standard height spindle also and there are no plans. The drop really kills it for me also since my car sits low already. I really would like the weight savings but it looks like it's not going to happen......

Quick Reply: Weighed a stock spindle today...