Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Loading Stock Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Yeah sure the car used to squat... no problem saying that. But, it also hooks on zero prep, as well as it does on perfect prep... if that's a bad thing then I'm guilty as charged. Probably would have been able to run some #'s on the street like it did on the track too
What is your interpretation of hooking?
I watched you race at Englishtown twice. Never breaking more then a 1.4 60' time while others pulled 1.30-1.31 60' times. Must have been poor track prep?

You made your best and only ever 9.5 passes there. That would be a total of 2. Then you blamed the track prep and claimed you could run 2 tenths faster at any other track but never did...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperLT1Z28
I'm just running the stock shocks. I have tried an air bag in the right rear before, with no success. How much pressure do you run in yours?
You need shocks. Even the cheap Competition Engineering ones will work good with what you have. An air bag by itself will not do the job. I run mine at 15-20 psi depending on the track.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with airbags the springs will never wear because the air bags support them from inside and the bags don't lose their shape cause the springs hold the side true from the outside. My car is a '98 and I still have my stock rear springs.
Why fight and try to narrow down a spring rate if you could just change a few psi here and there? Good track conditions, more psi, better chassis response. Track going away, soften them up a bit. It's another adjustment to fine tune your suspension.
One thing of mention, with the dragbar and actually Spohn recommended to me years ago, if you are going to run airbags with a drag bar run 2 separate fill lines, don't tee them together because they will share air dragbar won't work like it's intended to.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tektrans
Why fight and try to narrow down a spring rate if you could just change a few psi here and there? Good track conditions, more psi, better chassis response. Track going away, soften them up a bit. It's another adjustment to fine tune your suspension.
I have actually found some small improvements running different springs.

One thing of mention, with the dragbar and actually Spohn recommended to me years ago, if you are going to run airbags with a drag bar run 2 separate fill lines, don't tee them together because they will share air dragbar won't work like it's intended to.
I only run one, but if you are running two as a launch aid you should never tie them together drag bar or not. If you do, you will be passing air from one bag to the other instead of compressing the air.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
I watched you race at Englishtown twice. Never breaking more then a 1.4 60' time while others pulled 1.30-1.31 60' times. Must have been poor track prep?

You made your best and only ever 9.5 passes there. That would be a total of 2. Then you blamed the track prep and claimed you could run 2 tenths faster at any other track but never did...

Well. the car went 9.5x at etown, lvd, and island... never had a problem getting the car to run consistant... attached an image of one slip I had scanned from LVD. Nice 1.4 60 foot time, just for you. But, I also would do that with the rear tires... see sig picture. Apparently you don't remember that day very well either, as it went 9.59, 9.56 and a 9.53 3 runs in a row...

It's easy to get a car toput up a 60 foot number with the bumper coming down and tripping the beams as well...

Car took care of business. Regardless what you seem to think, and will take care of business again when it's back together. We build/set up to win races , and that does happen. Pretty, ugly, whatever you want to call it... but I get win lights. Wether it be off a reaction time, car setup, etc.

My junk gets the job done.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 08-14-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Yes. GM used to have a bunch of different springs for these cars. I have found that they like stagger in the rear (my application). I currently use aftermarket springs because GM only lists one number now.

I have never seen this in my stuff. I have had the same springs and bag in Gump for a lot of years and a lot of passes. The ride in the trailer is probably the hardest on suspension if you are not careful about what you are doing.

At the LTX Shootout in 2009 we made three passes within .01 heads-up back-to-back. When we run in bracket mode we are normally within .01 unless we really miss our tune-up.
Do you have a ruling that says you can't run a coilover? You can get coil over springs made in 10 lb increments... fwiw.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
9 Second Club

JL, that 60' time of yours is not with the rear tires. lol
Nice try though.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have a ruling that says you can't run a coilover? You can get coil over springs made in 10 lb increments... fwiw.
Stock Eliminator doesn't allow a coilover. I buy stock size replacement coil springs in 25 lb increments.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GIZMO
You need shocks. Even the cheap Competition Engineering ones will work good with what you have. An air bag by itself will not do the job. I run mine at 15-20 psi depending on the track.
What part number shock? CEE-2700 from Summit?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sleeperLT1Z28
What part number shock? CEE-2700 from Summit?
Yes. Obviously, there are better (more expensive) shocks available too.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firehawk441

Damn, my old patriot heads cam setup that went 10.9's did low 1.42 consistantly with a 6 speed.... 1.4's with an auto????

**** jfm's h/c 346 car went 1.31 with 400 rwhp and 10.1....
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
8 Second Club

Well. the car went 9.5x at etown, lvd, and island... never had a problem getting the car to run consistant... attached an image of one slip I had scanned from LVD. Nice 1.4 60 foot time, just for you. But, I also would do that with the rear tires... see sig picture. Apparently you don't remember that day very well either, as it went 9.59, 9.56 and a 9.53 3 runs in a row...

It's easy to get a car toput up a 60 foot number with the bumper coming down and tripping the beams as well...

Car took care of business. Regardless what you seem to think, and will take care of business again when it's back together. We build/set up to win races , and that does happen. Pretty, ugly, whatever you want to call it... but I get win lights. Wether it be off a reaction time, car setup, etc.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I knew if provoked you'd cave and tell us all how full of B/S you are. 9.5 at E-Town couldn't be overcome by 2 tenths at any other track like you boasted.
Keep trying, eventually you'll go faster then you talk...

Last edited by Firehawk441; 03-26-2011 at 11:54 AM.