Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Loading Stock Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-Loading Stock Rear Sway Bar

My car launches really hard, and pulls the entire left side of the car up. I was thinking of trying to limit some of this motion by pre-loading the suspension in the rear. Has anyone ever tried shortening the driver's side end-link on a stock sway bar set up? Is a 19 mm bar with poly bushings even stiff-enough to make this change effective?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

I have tried this last year. Will not work right no matter what you do. Pony up for the drag bar like I did.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It is way easier to just bite the bullet and buy a anti-roll bar, doing it right the first time will save you a ton of headaches in the long run.The anti-roll bar will make a night and day difference and alleviate the issues you are having launching.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Get a rear airbag for the right side rear as well...
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Get a rear airbag for the right side rear as well...
With a good anti-roll bar there is absolutely no need for an airbag.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't put airbags in a car period. Anti roll bars, are designed to make a car leave strait. Springs, are for setting suspension rates.... airbag's are nothing more then a band aid for an inadequacy in one of the previously mentioned parts.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to the mengs. He knows what he talks about. Plus with the Front sway off, the car actually drives good with the Solid Rear Sway.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting rid of the airbag is one of the first things I did when I traded my vette for the camaro I have now. I took the stock sway bar off and put in the adjustable BMR and the car leaves straight as an arrow and you can damn near launch it with just your thumb and index finger on the wheel.

I just didn't throw it on there either. I had the car scaled with the driver in it and preloaded the sway bar. No twist and leaves straight.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Would not drive on the street with an ARB. Swap just like slicks.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wolfe solid bar.

/thread
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

03 Busa, why wouldnt you drive thr ARB on the street??? I am getting ready to put one in...
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
With a good anti-roll bar there is absolutely no need for an airbag.
Not to disagree with BMR but I have effectively used dual airbags with my stock style drag bar but not to level the car, I used it to vary rear spring rate. (stock springs)

To the OP, just buy a dragbar. You can't steer with your fronts in the air-Dragbar is alot cheaper than bodywork.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I wouldn't put airbags in a car period. Anti roll bars, are designed to make a car leave strait. Springs, are for setting suspension rates.... airbag's are nothing more then a band aid for an inadequacy in one of the previously mentioned parts.
Disagree with you too on this JL.
That kinda thinking is why your car squats like a girl taking a **** in the woods and mine leaves like an animal.

seriously, truth to what I say here but I'm just bustin your ***** a little. You can take a little ribbing can't ya?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Wolfe solid bar.

/thread
Wolfe torsion style bar for the win.

Add this:

Get this:

Nice, even launch.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by tektrans
Disagree with you too on this JL.
That kinda thinking is why your car squats like a girl taking a **** in the woods and mine leaves like an animal.

seriously, truth to what I say here but I'm just bustin your ***** a little. You can take a little ribbing can't ya?
They're a band aid. If you had luck running them... then you would have been better served with a stiffer spring. 20 years of racing exp with multiple different types, cars, atv's, sand drag's, r/c.... it's all the same in one way or another. Nowhere else, is an airbag ever even considered.

Yeah sure the car used to squat... no problem saying that. But, it also hooks on zero prep, as well as it does on perfect prep... if that's a bad thing then I'm guilty as charged. Probably would have been able to run some #'s on the street like it did on the track too

What it will do when it's back together? Who knows... it might just blow the tires off at the hit when the track's not there for all I know.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperLT1Z28
My car launches really hard, and pulls the entire left side of the car up. I was thinking of trying to limit some of this motion by pre-loading the suspension in the rear. Has anyone ever tried shortening the driver's side end-link on a stock sway bar set up? Is a 19 mm bar with poly bushings even stiff-enough to make this change effective?
What rear shocks do you have? Your car would do just fine with an air bag and Competition engineering shocks. That's what we have in our stock internals LT1 car. It has had a best sixty foot of 1.41 on slicks. It is also deadly consistent.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Air bags are a crutch.......LOL!

The truth is that they work fine on low HP cars like mine. When you are making more serious HP it is time to upgrade.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Race your car!

Gizmo have you tried increasing the spring rate, to see if actually changing the spring itself, rather then playing with the air bag would do the same thing?

I would bet good $ that if you did, the same or better results would be possible. Certainly be able to know what the actual spring rate is, and would be able to replace with the same spring rate every couple seasons or whatever to keep things 100% and consistant.

That's the other issue with bags... as springs settle over time, the bag pressure will need to be changed... alot of times guys get into the "it worked there before so don't change it now" mentality.. and then the performance will get chased. Airbag's themselves do wear out, as do springs, so now you have 2 things doing the same job that can wear out/change....

Not what I want to deal with when trying to keep a car consistant enough to be able to repeat within .01 every round, for seasons at a time.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Gizmo have you tried increasing the spring rate, to see if actually changing the spring itself, rather then playing with the air bag would do the same thing?
Yes. GM used to have a bunch of different springs for these cars. I have found that they like stagger in the rear (my application). I currently use aftermarket springs because GM only lists one number now.

That's the other issue with bags... as springs settle over time, the bag pressure will need to be changed... alot of times guys get into the "it worked there before so don't change it now" mentality.. and then the performance will get chased. Airbag's themselves do wear out, as do springs, so now you have 2 things doing the same job that can wear out/change....
I have never seen this in my stuff. I have had the same springs and bag in Gump for a lot of years and a lot of passes. The ride in the trailer is probably the hardest on suspension if you are not careful about what you are doing.

Not what I want to deal with when trying to keep a car consistant enough to be able to repeat within .01 every round, for seasons at a time.
At the LTX Shootout in 2009 we made three passes within .01 heads-up back-to-back. When we run in bracket mode we are normally within .01 unless we really miss our tune-up.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GIZMO
What rear shocks do you have? Your car would do just fine with an air bag and Competition engineering shocks. That's what we have in our stock internals LT1 car. It has had a best sixty foot of 1.41 on slicks. It is also deadly consistent.

I'm just running the stock shocks. I have tried an air bag in the right rear before, with no success. How much pressure do you run in yours?