Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All options for bumper support?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
ok so lemme get this straight. Your car is on a major diet, this is a drag race forum, but the rear wouldnt be worth it? LOL I thought it was like 20lbs just like the the front no?
Yeah yeah im cheap...lol

From what I remember it only saves 5 lbs. I could be wrong though. I still need to get a kmember before I get the bumper support. (that burkhart will be making
Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Sweet
Yeah yeah im cheap...lol

From what I remember it only saves 5 lbs. I could be wrong though. I still need to get a kmember before I get the bumper support. (that burkhart will be making
Correct me if im wrong but theres no way your cheap if your buying the nice piece like that! lol.
Im being cheap having 2nd thoughts on all this weight savings stuff its insane. Its not cheap to get lightweight stuff. Im mean, where the hell does it end?! Think ill just buy a cam...lol...for now
Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok so lemme get this straight. Your car is on a major diet, this is a drag race forum, but the rear wouldnt be worth it? LOL I thought it was like 20lbs just like the the front no?
Sometimes its good to leave weight in the rear of the car. I mean if you into your weight bias and all.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No support is really needed in the rear. As for the front ,i simply bought a heavy guage aluminum angle,(1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 thick) and tied it across the front frame horns with 1 inch standoffs.Then bolt the bottom of the bumper cover up to the angle. I think it weighs maybe 2 lbs including all the hardware. Id post pics but im not that puter savy.Been down the race track 150-200 times in the 10s and no problems. Hows that for weight savings??
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
No support is really needed in the rear. As for the front ,i simply bought a heavy guage aluminum angle,(1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 thick) and tied it across the front frame horns with 1 inch standoffs.Then bolt the bottom of the bumper cover up to the angle. I think it weighs maybe 2 lbs including all the hardware. Id post pics but im not that puter savy.Been down the race track 150-200 times in the 10s and no problems. Hows that for weight savings??
Thats pretty good I like it. But do you think I better put something stronger in there seeing how its mostly a streecar? I wonder at what speed bumper supports become usless in crashes.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

here a thought......do all you upgrades and get it so fast you cant get it stoped ,then buy parachute mount that included in the rear support......yea.....
Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Thats pretty good I like it. But do you think I better put something stronger in there seeing how its mostly a streecar? I wonder at what speed bumper supports become usless in crashes.
I would run without a support if my car didn't see the street. As my car sees VERY little street time I wanted to have the safety aspect of it.

Correct me if im wrong but theres no way your cheap if your buying the nice piece like that! lol.
Im being cheap having 2nd thoughts on all this weight savings stuff its insane. Its not cheap to get lightweight stuff. Im mean, where the hell does it end?! Think ill just buy a cam...lol...for now
Yes the light weight stuff does get pricey. But I have slowly upgraded my car every year adding more and more. You need to think about where you want your car to be in x years or the life of ownership. Then look at how much money you want to put into it.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

here's another option you can do yourself and get back to real hotroding instead of buying parts.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
here's another option you can do yourself and get back to real hotroding instead of buying parts.
Think I saw your other post somewhere. You lost 7lbs?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you really think a couple pieces of tubing(Burkhardt support) is going to prevent anything damaga wise in a street car?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TA1364
Do you really think a couple pieces of tubing(Burkhardt support) is going to prevent anything damaga wise in a street car?
At a low speed accident I think it will make a difference vs not running anything.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Sweet
At a low speed accident I think it will make a difference vs not running anything.
I have to agree with this. Think I read somewhere that the factory supports are only tested for 35mph and under. Im not sure if its true.

If I did any weight reduction it would be as a whole and not just one thing.
My list if I did this...

Rear seats
carpet
front and rear bumper supports

only at the track...
sway bar
skinnies up front
lighter sticky tires

Things that are gone now...
spare and jack
disk changer
air pump
and smaller things

If I could do all these things and put the car on the track what would I gain maybe .15 ? Im trying to figure if its worth it or not. Time, money, safety...IDK. I can tell you if I did do these things it would end about right there unless I turn the car into a full track car.

Last edited by senicalj4579; 04-01-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

In the rear you can remove the plastic honeycomb and keep the fiber glass cross member. Its light compared to the plastic. Then bolt the rear body work back to it.or use the stock push pins. You can even cut holes in the rear cross member. How much protection does it offer ??? The egg crate piece is there to absorb energy in a crash. With out attaching the rear body work to some thing it will deform at speeds. It already acts like a parachute. I'm thinking of sealing mine up with expand a foam.

In the front remove the foam piece and cut holes in the metal cross member. It probally provides some protection. Doing this opens up alot of space. It saves some weight. I mounted an oil cooler and tranny cooler on the front cross member. The oil cooler has a fan the tranny sits in front of the grill opening. They recieve good air flow and gets them off of the rad. which helps the engine run cooler.

The advantage to the Burkhart pieces are the weight savings and the strength You also can lose alot of the little brackets etc. With a stock hood be careful many of the brackets need to stay so the hood will close and latch.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Think I saw your other post somewhere. You lost 7lbs?
Yeah something like that. That was just the bumper, who knows about all the other parts. I left alot of meat in it so I'm sure more could be cut out of it, but everything is still very sturdy. I got 9-10# out of the rear bumper and supporting rubber peice. Best of all you can do it yourself for the price of a decent hole saw kit. My car is under 3100# and still complete using this technique.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear is about 6 pounds and is 171.00 bare and 191.00 PC. They are on the Tax sale until 4/15. Look for the rear support in an upcomming GM HighTech article.
Is the front support included in this tax sale? How much is a powder coated front support for a LS1 Trans Am?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

If I did any weight reduction it would be as a whole and not just one thing.
My list if I did this...

Rear seats
carpet
front and rear bumper supports

only at the track...
sway bar
skinnies up front
lighter sticky tires

Things that are gone now...
spare and jack
disk changer
air pump
and smaller things

If I could do all these things and put the car on the track what would I gain maybe .15 ? Im trying to figure if its worth it or not. Time, money, safety...IDK. I can tell you if I did do these things it would end about right there unless I turn the car into a full track car.

I have done a lot of different things. I have no hvac system in the car.
I have the stock stereo removed
I have all the wire associated with the radio and hvac removed from the car.
I have no washer tank, rad over flow tank is gone and a small universal one in its place.
Rear seat and belts are removed.
Im sure there are many more things I have forgot too.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
QFTW

-Dustin-
Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
QFTW

-Dustin-
What does that mean?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Quote for the win. Meaning I wish folks would build cars instead of buying them. Everyone wants everything done for them anymore, cookie cutter everything, meh, just not for me.

-Dustin-
Old 05-14-2011, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks!! I gota brush up on my lingo

Quick Reply: All options for bumper support?