Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run no alternator in my LS1 drag car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run no alternator in my LS1 drag car?

im putting my supercharged 383 LS1 in a fully tubbed and 10 piont caged 68 camaro ss and ive ordered a motor plate to mount the motor ( the motor has been pushed back 6 inches and lowered 3 inches for a better launch ) so mock up the motor plate to the motor and notice on the drivers side im goin to be cuttin way too much of the motor plate for my liking because of the supercharger mounting braket and the alternator and bracket soo i wanna know if if can run without an alternator and just charge the batery every run? im going to be running an electric water pump aswell and an electric fuel pump an electric fan and the sump fir my intercooler .all guages are manual guages (oil and water) im also running a th400 manual brakes and no pwer steering an NO EMISSIONS BS can somebody help me out ?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badass68camaro
im putting my supercharged 383 LS1 in a fully tubbed and 10 piont caged 68 camaro ss and ive ordered a motor plate to mount the motor ( the motor has been pushed back 6 inches and lowered 3 inches for a better launch ) so mock up the motor plate to the motor and notice on the drivers side im goin to be cuttin way too much of the motor plate for my liking because of the supercharger mounting braket and the alternator and bracket soo i wanna know if if can run without an alternator and just charge the batery every run? im going to be running an electric water pump aswell and an electric fuel pump an electric fan and the sump fir my intercooler .all guages are manual guages (oil and water) im also running a th400 manual brakes and no pwer steering an NO EMISSIONS BS can somebody help me out ?
I can't answer your question but I have seen multiple drag cars with out an alternator. But not sure how many electronic parts they are running.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

With all the electric components you're running i suggest you find a way to include an alt. It sure beats having to run a charger between runs and the spare batteries...maybe a dual batt setup?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a 16v battery yes, with a 12 volt probably not.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tough if you plan on running a stock PCM. There are tables that change engine parameters based off ignition voltage and when the voltage starts dropping during a run it will affect the tune. Injector offset vs ignition voltage is the only one off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure there's one dealing with the fuel pump as well.

Even with two batteries you'll probably have issues with the amount of stuff you are trying to run. Dual 16 volts would likely do the job but I have seen folks fry the stock PCM trying to switch to a 16 volt system. Aftermarket engine management would allow the 16 volts.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

I don't mind charging in between runs or running a dual battery would that work ? I can get towed from the end of the track to my trailer at the end of every run and towed to the line up before but I'm wondering if it will power everything and for how long? I'm just racing for fun not for money
Old 04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Is there a passenger side alternator kit out there that bolts up to the head ? Does it have a way to tension the belt too?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Fabricate a passenger side low mount alternator bracket. It would not be hard for any fab shop to do.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

ill just fab the alterntor bracket i have into a manual tension one like on the old style blocks making the tensioner outta hiem joints like on a march pulley kit that should work
Old 04-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info guys

Quick Reply: Can I run no alternator in my LS1 drag car?