Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed drag racing tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buzz12586
The tires are spinning. Its only a couple of revolutions but it is what keeps the car from bogging. Something has to give when you let go of the clutch. Its either going to:

A. Spin the tires
B. Slip the clutch
C. Bog
D. Dead hook and put the car on the bumper hard

If you have a car on bias ply tires then you can dump the clutch and the tires will spin a revolution or two and keep the car from bogging. If you have a car on radials you will need to slip the clutch since radials won't recover once they start spinning, you need to dead hook them.
This guy brings up an interesting point. If I was running on a drag radial i would rather slip the clutch due to the fact that once a radial starts to spin it wants to continue to spin due in large part to the stiff side wall. But if am running a slick then I like to side step the clutch due to the fact that the side wall of a slick will let the tire rotate and if it starts to spin if will continue to try and regain traction due to soft side wall.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is a good video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRUjQFVHnBQ&NR=1
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=buzz12586;14814744]If you have a stock style clutch (non slipper) its going to be quicker with more gear and dumping the clutch. It will need to be a bias ply tire though.

If you went with a slipper clutch it would be quicker. It gives you a lot of adjust-ability.[/QUO

I completely agree. Does anyone make a slipper clutch for a lt1 car by any chance?
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by starbucks
ill be honest with you I do not know anything about tanners car, so as far as power levels and being on spray I can not debate that. All im saying is I can find a lot more videos of people with fast street car like tanners and the guy that you posted side stepping the clutch than slipping it. Let me ask you a question lets say my car cuts 1.70 60ft with a 3.90 gear is my car going to run quicker 60ft time with more gear or by slipping the clutch?
It can be done both ways but if your doing it by gear you will need wheel spin like i have said and others.

if slipping your Rpm's up up way up to carry the car and stay in its power band and carry it along same with tire spin so no loss of E.T every stick car you are watching is spinning the tires atleasts 3 times as it leaves the line trust me here is a vid to prov it. This is a dump but look the tires spin to keep the rpm's up and the car in its power band go to 1.23 in this vid and watch the tire spin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzm2pk9-nY

your failing to see the point

if i had a car with a 3.90 gear and a 26 tire i would run a slipper break's less parts easyeron the drive train 60's better.

to be true i wish i didnt go the big tire and gear route. if i could get back the money and time i wasted on that setup i would still have my 3.89 gear in my car with maybe 27x11.5 tire and a soft lock clutch. my 60's would never be hit or miss and way more con·sist·ent way more and then all them A4 cars would have a M6 to be scared of
Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Question

The tires are spinning. Its only a couple of revolutions but it is what keeps the car from bogging. Something has to give when you let go of the clutch. Its either going to:

A. Spin the tires
B. Slip the clutch
C. Bog
D. Dead hook and put the car on the bumper hard

If you have a car on bias ply tires then you can dump the clutch and the tires will spin a revolution or two and keep the car from bogging. If you have a car on radials you will need to slip the clutch since radials won't recover once they start spinning, you need to dead hook them.
doesnt that mean more when you add power level into it? i would think when talking an ~11 second car on radials, side stepping the clutch on radials would be fine.

its a lil more confusing when considering that radials can and have out 60'd the bias ply slicks along with the idea of "hit radials hard" to get em to work well. just seems like there 2 lines of thought that have worked well is all.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=starbucks;14814769]
If you have a stock style clutch (non slipper) its going to be quicker with more gear and dumping the clutch. It will need to be a bias ply tire though.

If you went with a slipper clutch it would be quicker. It gives you a lot of adjust-ability.[/QUO

I completely agree. Does anyone make a slipper clutch for a lt1 car by any chance?
Mcload Soft lock they make them
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
my seat back only goes till it hits the cage
Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
It can be done both ways but if your doing it by gear you will need wheel spin like i have said and others.

if slipping your Rpm's up up way up to carry the car and stay in its power band and carry it along same with tire spin so no loss of E.T every stick car you are watching is spinning the tires atleasts 3 times as it leaves the line trust me here is a vid to prov it. This is a dump but look the tires spin to keep the rpm's up and the car in its power band go to 1.23 in this vid and watch the tire spin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzm2pk9-nY

your failing to see the point

if i had a car with a 3.90 gear and a 26 tire i would run a slipper break's less parts easyeron the drive train 60's better.

to be true i wish i didnt go the big tire and gear route. if i could get back the money and time i wasted on that setup i would still have my 3.89 gear in my car with maybe 27x11.5 tire and a soft lock clutch. my 60's would never be hit or miss and way more con·sist·ent way more and then all them A4 cars would have a M6 to be scared of
I will go as far as to agree with you in this sense, something needs to slip or is going to slip but it all comes down on what tire you are running. If you’re running a slick tire car (which mine is) then I suggest side stepping the clutch but if you’re driving a drag radial car I would slip the clutch.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
doesnt that mean more when you add power level into it? i would think when talking an ~11 second car on radials, side stepping the clutch on radials would be fine.

its a lil more confusing when considering that radials can and have out 60'd the bias ply slicks along with the idea of "hit radials hard" to get em to work well. just seems like there 2 lines of thought that have worked well is all.
When my car was a 6 speed I never had any luck side stepping the clutch on radials. I always had to slip it otherwise it would bog/spin. I know Tick Performance has had a lot of luck with there 6 speed car on radials but they run a slipper clutch I believe.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

When my car was a 6 speed I never had any luck side stepping the clutch on radials. I always had to slip it otherwise it would bog/spin. I know Tick Performance has had a lot of luck with there 6 speed car on radials but they run a slipper clutch I believe.
hm. i wouldve thought u could get a decent controlled spin out of the radials given how sticky are. guess not..
Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

hm. i wouldve thought u could get a decent controlled spin out of the radials given how sticky are. guess not..
sticky has nothing to do with the Radials its how stiff the side wall is
Old 04-21-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
sticky has nothing to do with the Radials its how stiff the side wall is
the sidewall too stiff on a radial (say M/T) for wheel spin to be controlled?

you had said that radials cannot recover as well as slicks when it comes to wheel spin. i thought that referred to the stickiness of the tire.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

recovery is all related to how stiff the side wall is. the softer the side wall the more it can rotate the tire to help recover form spinning.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

the sidewall too stiff on a radial (say M/T) for wheel spin to be controlled?

you had said that radials cannot recover as well as slicks when it comes to wheel spin. i thought that referred to the stickiness of the tire.
here is a good hi speed shot of how a slick works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HldiiDmvTxI
Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Perfect example.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you m6 guys...is an a4 even allowed in this thread...
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
you m6 guys...is an a4 even allowed in this thread...
Always picking on the M6 guys.... but yes anyone and everyone is welcome
Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Nice info Rob. I thought Tanner was running a slipper clutch too. I believe it's a Mcleod Softloc, I could be wrong though. So the "BIG QUESTION" is, are you gonna run a slipper this year Rob????
Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
Nice info Rob. I thought Tanner was running a slipper clutch too. I believe it's a Mcleod Softloc, I could be wrong though. So the "BIG QUESTION" is, are you gonna run a slipper this year Rob????
now that is the right question....
Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
Originally Posted by chrs1313
now that is the right question....
lets just say i am starting side jobs to get the money for some 2,500 junk anyone need there cars fixed ??

Quick Reply: 6 speed drag racing tips