Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice/help removing AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice/help removing AC

so i got all the tubes n compressor out of the hood area but i went in under the passenger dash to get everything else out and now im in a rut. questions: do i have to remove the dash itself to get it out or is there a way to do so without having to remove a bunch o' crap? i probably wont continue with this till tomorrow but also when i drove to get gas earlier i could hear the vaccuum leak like when the car was idling it would make a hissing sound. normal? bad sign? anybody have any pictures (always helps) or hints?

much appreciated. (n00b)
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the dash if you are comfortable with it, its not bad. Bag the bolts. You have to cut the underhood portion of the hvac box off and then make or buy a delete panel. Are you keeping heat?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 PM

i want to keep heat. ive seen the way they connect the hoses back into the heater core. is there a way to pull the system out by just going under the passenger area?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

No, pull it all out to do it right or take a hammer and beat the plastic protrusion till its flush with the firewall and have at it.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup dash has to come out.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM

ok. so ive got most of the glove compartment out and ive got to the heater core and some of the plastic out. where should i start with the dash?
and am i gonna need any special tools. ive pretty much just got simple wrenches, sockets?
(ex. the steering wheel puller).

nvm i think i got a link
Old 05-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Teching In

not to thread jack but i have my dash out and all of the hvac out. all thats left is a hole. lol anyways my hvac delete plate is on its way and ive cut my box to the firewall. is there a write-up on how to keep the heat tho? if theres a link it would be much appreciated thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Just cut some of the plastic between the fan and the heater core so it will push more air through, stock it goes through the evap to the heater core for the most part. Bend a piece of metal etc to fit the small opening so its sealed off, use some rtv etc if you want, and enjoy.