Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not stock seat belts = Airbag light problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Not stock seat belts = Airbag light problem?

I have racing seats with 5 point harnesses. My stock seat belts are gone obviously. When I stomp on the gas from a stop or even hi-way speeds, my air bag light on the dash will come on and stay on until I turn the car off. It has thrown 5 different codes at me now. See attachment.

I'm thinking it's because the factory seat belt isn't there. On the driver side their is 2 wires that go to a plug that connects to the latch part of the belt. It is disconnected and the seat belt guy on the dash doesn't come on, which is fine by me. I would guess I just need to wire the 2 together so it completes the circuit.
Attached Thumbnails Not stock seat belts = Airbag light problem?-airbag-codes2.jpg  
Old 05-07-2011, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not an airbag light. It's an SRS light. Supplemental Restraint System of which both the airbag system and seatbelt system are included.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Is their an SRS light? What I mean is will it say SRS, just like we have an SES light? My light that pops up simply says "Air Bag". I think I get what you are saying though. I do fully understand that the air bag and seat belt system are intertwined.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you monitor circuit resistances with that scanner? If so, what does the driver airbag read? Anything over 3.0 ohms is a problem, and it's most likely going to be a bad clockspring.

Stock steering wheel? What's up with the communications codes? What's been removed from the car?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

It's my buddy's scanner so I don't know. The steering wheel is stock and that nor the airbags have ever been removed. The only thing changed that matters is that all the stock seat belts are out of the car.

Quick Reply: Not stock seat belts = Airbag light problem?