Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

setting pinion angle with jegs non adjustable TA

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting pinion angle with jegs non adjustable TA

I Have heard it needs to be at -2 but i dont know how to get it there its a tunnel mount non adjustable and i have read u set it with the slider one inch out anyone have any pics of how to install it at -2 and how/where to put the angle finder. You have to drill holes with this booger so u got to get it right the first time any help would be awesome guys thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

BMR has a good video on how to do this
Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill look but im sure its using one of there products it maybe a lil different
Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

uh, if u wanted to be able to set pinion angle, u probably should have bought an adjustable ta

just sayin
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent the better part of an hour working on my pinion angle and I learned a few things.

1) The suspension needs to be loaded, so get on a drive-on lift.
2) Have a good angle finder.
3) Follow BMR's instructions on-line.
4) Use some paper and make references.
5) Take all measurements from one side of the car. I used the passanger side. So I would be standing on the passanger side, and looking at the inside of the driverside rim.
6) Take both measurements and know that you have to picture the Driveshaft and Rear end diff as 2 seperate lines.
7) IF you can, use 2 angle finders at the same time. Makes it easier to figure out reference.
8) Rear end is Negative if it slopes down towards the front of the car and Positive if ramps up towards the front of the car. D/S is Positive if ramps up towards the back of the car and Negative if it slopes down to the rear of the car.

(Rear End Angle) + (Drive Shaft Angle) = Pinion Angle

Example: Do not take too litteral.

(-1) rear end angle + (-1) driveshaft angle = (-2) degrees. Yes!
(-5) rear end angle + (-2) driveshaft angle = (-7) degrees. No!
(0) rear end angle + (2) driveshaft angle = (+2) degrees. No!
(-3) rear end angle + (5) driveshaft angle = (+2) degrees. NO!
(3) rear end angle + (-5) driveshaft angle = (-2) degrees. YES!

** I had one guage (used to have 2 darn!) so once I picked my side I would start taking measurements. On a seperate sheet of paper I then drew a circle and put the Negative and Positive reference on there to help me remind me when the rear end tilted down then I was going negative and when the DS was going up, I was going Positive.

If the top of the circle is "Zero" then on the rear end, if the diff tilted down any # to the left of the needle was negative, and anything to the right was a positive number. Then on the D/S anything on the right became negative and anything on the left was positive.

So long story made short, we were making a mistake in reading the numbers on the guage as the same for both measurements. Since we are trying to find out the pinion angle we need to understand that the U-joint between the DS and Yoke is the focal point that the results will become mirror opposites.

So for you. I would get an Adj. TQ arm and resell yours.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 05-18-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have good suspension parts in the car... I would highly suggest you put it at 0 and start there. Adding pinion angle with a suspension like these cars have is not going to do what it did with a leaf spring car that had an axle that wrapped in a circle when you launched it..... only thing you are really doing is adding a mechanical bind to the driveline, and making the car have to work harder to turn the driveshaft.

I ran my car a -.5 degree, becuase that's what it had to be at so as the suspension conpressed it never went positive. At ride height, it was -.5, and as far down as the car ever compressed at the track (I pulled the back of the car down until the tires were hit, which they never did at the track) the angle was @ 0.

Worked for me, car went on the bumper with that setting.... certainly wasn't hurting anything in the traction department.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you have good suspension parts in the car... I would highly suggest you put it at 0 and start there. Adding pinion angle with a suspension like these cars have is not going to do what it did with a leaf spring car that had an axle that wrapped in a circle when you launched it..... only thing you are really doing is adding a mechanical bind to the driveline, and making the car have to work harder to turn the driveshaft.

I ran my car a -.5 degree, becuase that's what it had to be at so as the suspension conpressed it never went positive. At ride height, it was -.5, and as far down as the car ever compressed at the track (I pulled the back of the car down until the tires were hit, which they never did at the track) the angle was @ 0.

Worked for me, car went on the bumper with that setting.... certainly wasn't hurting anything in the traction department.
Exactly. The pinion angle on these cars is really not that important. The main thing is that you don't put the drive shaft in a bind. I messed with mine over and over and finally put ithe rear pinion at -1. The main thing is to have the rear end pinion pointing done slighty negative the drive shaft will follows it.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

^ agreed, Ultimately you have to tune your car to suit your needs and combination. The info I provide is my exp. in doing this and sometimes the confusion that follows. The one thing no one ever talks about is the reference points for the readings and if you can, or if you do this a lot is to have 2 guages and if you can swing it, have them be electronic for ease of use.

In the BMR video you see then using 2 and it makes a world of difference.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Race your car!

The only referance you need is the car on level ground.... none of that other stuff matters.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
^ agreed, Ultimately you have to tune your car to suit your needs and combination. The info I provide is my exp. in doing this and sometimes the confusion that follows. The one thing no one ever talks about is the reference points for the readings and if you can, or if you do this a lot is to have 2 guages and if you can swing it, have them be electronic for ease of use.

In the BMR video you see then using 2 and it makes a world of difference.
The only referance you need is the car on level ground.... none of that other stuff matters.

Hello Can of worms, let me open you up.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. These aren't the old Mopars with super stock springs and a adjustable pinion snubber.http://www.cartechbooks.com/cartech/...iles/13055.pdf

Last edited by 1lejohn; 05-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Hello Can of worms, let me open you up.

LOL. I laugh every time I read this stuff.. people worry about "pinion angle" so much they're stuck in 1960........

Level ground, make sure the rear is parallel with the ground. That's all you have to do... rake of the chassis has the engine/tranny line sitting level if you have the rake set right, done deal.

But, carry on with the conversation. I do get a good laugh out of how over-complicated everyone makes this... not to mention, with our cars, if you have good rod ended suspension in it... it doesn't matter, there IS no deflection!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear you. I've spent about 6 mos doing research and adjusting the arm back and forth. Hell I started at neut (zero) all done with ride height and just bolting up the T arm. I learned the hard way. I also agree if the engine and trans are in the stock locations then the chassis will be close to neutral. Gm designed it that way.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Internet Mechanic

What I can say is that everyone will a specific level of comfort. Its not overly complicated but people get confused when companies really don't explain the concept behind it. All they explain is what you want. But not the "why". Level ground is all that is needed and the last thing people need is miscalculation and have - 7 degrees.

The lenght of the TQ arm or how/where it attatches to the car will have more of an impact then pinion angle. IMO.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Race your car!

Tq arm length doesn't have anything to do with it either. the length, is just one way of people changing the instant center point. You could have a tq arm that's 14 inches long, or one that's 72 inches long. Where the center line of the tq arm and where the center line of the lower control arms intersect on the other hand, have ALOT to do with it. Move that centerlone up, down, forward or backwards, and you can go from doing nothing but spinning to flipping the car over. Any arm can do the same thing as another if you can adjust it to cross the lines at the right point. Madman's arm, has the adjustment built into it to be able to do this, and with the right front attachment design (slider, not a hinge) to make it work properly.

Regardless, of pinion angle.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im glad i read this. this is what i did and it makes alot of sense. thank you!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Internet Mechanic

Tq arm length doesn't have anything to do with it either. the length, is just one way of people changing the instant center point. You could have a tq arm that's 14 inches long, or one that's 72 inches long. Where the center line of the tq arm and where the center line of the lower control arms intersect on the other hand, have ALOT to do with it. Move that centerlone up, down, forward or backwards, and you can go from doing nothing but spinning to flipping the car over. Any arm can do the same thing as another if you can adjust it to cross the lines at the right point. Madman's arm, has the adjustment built into it to be able to do this, and with the right front attachment design (slider, not a hinge) to make it work properly.

Regardless, of pinion angle.
Well that is what I was getting at, you said it better. It's about what is in relationship.

Mine was way out of whack and bring it @ -2 or -1.5 made a big diff in vibration dept. That is what I can say.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Race your car!

The vibration could also be a sign of something else as well. If the yoke is loose in the tranny, u joint isn't as tight as it once was, etc, all will show up more depending on the amount they are worked.

You could have adjusted the pinion angle so that it's not riding in the same spot in the total motion range of the ujoint, causing the vibration to decrease and could still have the pinion angle wrong.

Get the car on level ground, with you in it. Put the angle finder on the rear end and see what it is compared to the ground. If it's off by more then 1/2 a degree, something is wrong, wether it's the rake of the chassis of the car, or the actual pinion angle.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

That you can help me with. So we will talk soon about that.

Quick Reply: setting pinion angle with jegs non adjustable TA