Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising tq arm mounting point higher up in chassis ok in lowered car ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raising tq arm mounting point higher up in chassis ok in lowered car ?

High all,

I have the bmr xtreme torque arm which has a crossbrace the hangs realy low and I would like to lower the car also. So for more ground clearance I would like to mount it higher up in the chassis, but I'm wondering if this would effect the car in a negative way,(change instant center) ?

The Bmr crossbrace unit is a non adjustable linkage style, so I can't just raise the crossbrace and drop the tq arm to the next hole. I thought about rotating the brace 90 deg towards the rearend and then raising it, as to try to keep it near the stock location, but I'm concerned with a hard enough launch, the tq arm could twist the crossbrace as it trles to lift the car up.

Please tell me your ideas, knowledge, opinions.

Thanks, Derek !
Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Raising the torque arm will hit the tire harder,it may like it,you will just have to try,if not you need to find a way to make the front ajustable.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the higher the front of the tq arm the less it hit the tire? Either way I would call BMR direct as your question is a design issue only they will be able to answer 100% correct and I would imagine they would advise against it. May want to try to sell and get a fully adjustable version.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Ya, I've been chating with Lee@BMR via email last couple days, he's been helpfull but pretty short with answers or ideas.

From what I've read, mounting it higher up would hit the tires harder but unload the tires quicker also, kinda like the same effect mounting your lca's to low on your relocation brackets. That's why I was hopinging lowering the car would decresa the steaper tq arm angle and it would be all gravy again.

I've been looking at madmans and racecraft inc tq arm for a while now, I was just hoping to make this work as this build has already been two years in the works.

Quick Reply: Raising tq arm mounting point higher up in chassis ok in lowered car ?