Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Hood Pins or Dzus Fasteners?
Hood pins
29.41%
Dzus Fasteners
70.59%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Hood pins or Dzus Fasteners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is a street car... and a race car haha

but i am willing to make the sacrifices and do a lift off hood. (already have a vfn lift off sunoco hood hanging in the garage just trying to figure out the best method of installing it the dzus seem so incredibly hard and such a pain in the ***. yea they look really cool but are they worth the hassle of installation?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

They are actually not as bad as it may seem. We stayed away from them on the hood partly because we thought they would be a pain to install. Then when I made the font bumper removable (quickly), and used dzus fasteners I found they were not bad at all. There is no way you could get a dzus hood off anywhere near as quick as a pin on. You can pull either off very quickly, but we can get ours off in a couple of seconds. Also FWIW, we have gone 148 in the quarter with no signs of movement with the set up that is pictured.

Sean
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The key to making the dzus easier to deal with, is making sure the bracket that the hood is getting attached by is nice ans solid.. if you try to get away with some flimsey dzus tabs, they are a pita I agree. There's a couple different styles now, I have only dealt with traditional ones. With 2 people you can have a dzus attached hood off in about a minute, and back on probably 2 to 3 even if it fights a little bit. Again.. a solid rail is key here.

Pins are always easier.. and if you have some of the modern style ones like pictured above they are pretty easy to deal with. Here's a link to some that are the same style, if not the same ones as pictured above. They apparently have ones that you can lock as well... if you're going to put a pin on hood on a street car I think this would be a very good idea:

http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/index.htm
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
That means your hood weighs 4#. I never weighed a pin on. just my SS hood(44#) and the carbon SS hood(23#) I saved around 30# with the hood and lightening the supporting peices.
By the way studderin, I put holes/cut on alot of those peices you took off. Not just 8 holes.
I think its 12 or 14lbs to exact, so its 30lbs lighter vs 40lbs. I went to a pin on several years ago I dont remember exactly what it weighed. I'll weigh my pin on hood this weekend when I am filling my nitrous bottles. No matter how you look at it the pin on hood is very light compared to the stock hood.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
mine is a street car... and a race car haha

but i am willing to make the sacrifices and do a lift off hood. (already have a vfn lift off sunoco hood hanging in the garage just trying to figure out the best method of installing it the dzus seem so incredibly hard and such a pain in the ***. yea they look really cool but are they worth the hassle of installation?
We are both headed in the same direction. The weight reduction is huge if you ask me dude but what about the hassle hmmmm
Old 07-03-2011, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
I think its 12 or 14lbs to exact, so its 30lbs lighter vs 40lbs. I went to a pin on several years ago I dont remember exactly what it weighed. I'll weigh my pin on hood this weekend when I am filling my nitrous bottles. No matter how you look at it the pin on hood is very light compared to the stock hood.
Very true. My lightened hinged hood set-up is probally 12# more than a pin-on .
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

To me every ounce matters. Its the little things that breaks records and wins races. To me those 12lbs are well worth it and i think a lift off hood looks absolutly badass on a street car
Old 07-03-2011, 02:21 AM
10 Second Club

The convience is worth that to me....and I'm probally more hardcore than anyone on this site about weight removal. I like to remove parts lighten them and put them back on so the car stays complete as it is my dd. I've done lots of weight redution that I've never seen anyone else do.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I'm probally more hardcore than anyone on this site about weight removal.
Oh I don't think so. Ya have done quite a bit I'm sure.. but more hardcore then anyone on here...... I'm gonna have to give that a negative.

To prove my point take a picture of your engine bay. I am willing to bet there's 50 lbs in there still that isn't gone yet.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Oh I don't think so. Ya have done quite a bit I'm sure.. but more hardcore then anyone on here...... I'm gonna have to give that a negative.

To prove my point take a picture of your engine bay. I am willing to bet there's 50 lbs in there still that isn't gone yet.
Thanks for suggesting that . Who else has lightened their own own k-memeber?

Weight removeal is more than just disassembleing your car

Anyone do this?

How about figure out your own light weight clutch assembly?

There is lots of other stuff that has been lightened and some stuff I hav'nt got to yet. Am I gonna remove my sounddeadening? NO! Am I gonna remove my ac or cruise? NO! That's to easy and I'm not looking to ride just a motor around for my dd.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

To me every ounce matters. Its the little things that breaks records and wins races. To me those 12lbs are well worth it and i think a lift off hood looks absolutly badass on a street car
Although im not looking to break any records I agree with you. We are not driving luxury cars so why should we beat around the bush right?
Did you figure out what you wanna do yet? I think the pins that broke ef posted are pretty nice. The link that JL posted I think is the same. I like them
Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HioSSilver you use a drill press, thats alot of holes.

Last edited by studderin; 07-03-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

hiosilver, damn man thats cool. thx for the ideas. yea what did u use to cut through all that think metal perfectly like that? i see what u mean about not wanting to lose the luxury's of the car and ur removing weight in other places i love that idea! but i personally dont care about a lot of the luxuries so now i wanna do both! ur way too! thx man!

and im not too sure what i wanna do. money is super tight right now and im nervous about installing the dzus and screwing them up. but my heart is with the dzus. the fasteners look soooo clean and nice i love them. im just nervouse about buying the rails then frucking up the install.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys.... Yea a drill press and a holesaw kit is handy to have,lol. But there is more to it than that. Alot of the stuff I've done I have cut the extra flanging off also via bandsaw/plasma/ airsaw cut. I leave some weight on the table because I don't want any problem's with breakage or stuff flexing around on my dd. If I were goin you guys route and basically haveing a limited street type car I could see getting a f-body to 2800 pretty easy. Right now I'm @ a little less than 3100#(street on 18's) and my goal is 3000 in drag form (bogarts and front bar removed). Lay everthing out before you start drilling
Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

now are these weights ur talking about with u in it? or car only? right now im at about 3300-3400 with me in the car. i weigh 175lbs so im at about 3100lbs without me in it as well.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

On thing tho is a pin on hood really looses no streetness for the actual driving the car. Its not removing something, the cars not louder, rides stiffer, handles worse, stops worse, anything like that. But it is alot lighter, I remove mine all the time alone it 14.8 pounds. I glued some foam under it so I set it on the roof, or just the windshield. If its windy, and you can't have somone hold onto it for 20secs while I change the 2step in the pits. I lay it in the grass. But thats happened 2 times in 2-3 years. And it was not like I was gona leave it like that for 3 hours working on the car in high winds outdoors.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

For the record the link JL posted is for the same pins we have on the TA. You can read out the install of them here.

We also added one of these in the front between the nostrils to help support it all. Because of where we positioned the front hood pins there was a lot or movement in the middle.

Sean
Old 07-03-2011, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

now are these weights ur talking about with u in it? or car only? right now im at about 3300-3400 with me in the car. i weigh 175lbs so im at about 3100lbs without me in it as well.
With out me.....not really fair comparison to post with driver weight. I'm usally around 155# so there is alot of guys 100# heavier than me.....fatties....lol.
Studderin it's not worth the incoveiniance to do a snapon hood to me. I've had cars with zeused on hoods and our RR BMW's was both ways and it's a pain in the *** for a 12#+/- savings. My hinges probally weigh the same as your zues rails...maybe less, I only use 1 prop shock, the latch and cable is very light and the peice that holds it is drilled up. Most of my extra weight is the hood @about 7-9# heavier.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 07-03-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have a bolt on hood, this thread is about using a pin on hood, with Dzus rails OR hood pins anyway. Your drilled stuff is cool glad you like it, but removing all of it is gona be lighter. My hood setup is 25-30 pounds lighter then what you did.

CamaroRacing12, ya it takes a few hours mounting the racecraft rails. I never did it before either, but once you have them on its good. I havnt had to mess with them at all, taken the fenders and the front end off a few times, and dpnt have to mess with the rails the way the rcacrafts bolt on.. The front rails go thu the fiberglass braket with nuts on the back, so when you pull the nose off I just leave the fiberglass part on. Just undo the 4 10mm nuts on the core support studs. The 5 top push clips do nothings anymore a
It bolts everything together better. The fender/hood/front bumper body panels are bolted together tight with the hood on with the 12-16 dzues.

Max weight pin on hood is the way to go. The weight saving for money spent in really good when getting the car light. And you get a cool looking hood too,
dont forget therse brakets you dont need with a bolt on hood anymore, and the rear hood stut ones too.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/IMG_5080.jpg

Last edited by studderin; 07-03-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Studderin, are your weights in your sig with or with out you. If with then what is your actual car weight?

Quick Reply: Hood pins or Dzus Fasteners?