Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual rack help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the spohn unit, and it seem's to have a odd feeling to it... While turning, it is right, then loose, then tight and loose.. I think it has to do w/ the length of the shaft, but i dunno.. i'll lop it off and see how it goes...

Brian, is your shaft avail separately?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got a friend over to help me and we tightened the **** out of the bolt at the column and now its 100x better and its alot easier to turn as well. I'm going to tighten up every bolt on the linkage next.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

I finally got around to installing mine. There was a small amount of slack in the fit and it was allowing only a small amount of twist when shaking the wheel back and forth. There's not enough room to shim it so that is not an option. What I did was when drilling the new shaft for the bolt is intentionally drilled at a slight angle so that the bolt contacted the opposing sides on the slot in the column. This did a good job of tightening up the slack.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So you had to tap the bolt thu then?
think thats gona hold up for a while? is it passable to weld, not like a full bead but a few tacks on the joint to steering shaft?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
So you had to tap the bolt thu then?
think thats gona hold up for a while? is it passable to weld, not like a full bead but a few tacks on the joint to steering shaft?
No tapping. The column has a slot in it and the stock shaft slides over this. The stock steering shaft is threaded on one side so removing this deletes the threads. The manual steering shaft slides inside the column and gets drilled for a bolt with a nut where it passes inside this slot.

I'm sure it could be welded but I was trying to avoid that so it wouldn't be a pain to remove in the future. Especially seeing as it would need to come off to drop the motor/kmember out I can see it needing to be removed/reinstalled a few times.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that little bit of slack makes it much much harder to drive. After getting it tighter it almost felt like I had power steering back! lol.

Quick Reply: Manual rack help