Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I checked when he was interviewed in GMHTP was that his transmission was far from what we see as a T-56 and that he was constantly needing to rebuild them which If I recall is kinda the reason why he had is business "issues"

I found the article....

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...z28/index.html

plus Joe's tweaking, the motor is estimated at well over 900 horsepower. Unfortunately this is just beyond the capabilities of the Tremec T56, which quite frequently requires Joe to rebuild his trans. It's a good thing rebuilding six speeds is his specialty. His skill at the craft was demonstrated via the many custom features such as the welded and machined dog ring gears as well as the machined Viper output shaft that allows hard clutchless shifting through the Pro 5.0 joystick. To lessen the initial hit to the tires when the clutch is dropped, a Super Stock-style McLeod Soft-Lok single 10-inch disc clutch is used, which allows adjustment to the pressure plate and centrifugal counterweights to increase slip at low rpm and lock at high rpm. Despite this style clutch, the tremendous shock to the drivetrain from the manual trans required a Burkhart Chassis fabricated 9-inch rear with Mark Williams 300M 40-spline axles. Pyle Brothers Performance setup the rear using a backcut Motive 5.43 ratio gear and a spool.

The biggest thing that helped that car run fast was that clutch. Almost a mandetory requirement on drag radial cars and still very useful for cars running bias-ply. Also the note about him frequently rebuilding is a nice way of saying he is breaking **** trying to go fast. In a later GMHTP article he has sinced moved away from the T-56 and is now in a auto I think.

All I can say is I hope you have set some money aside for rebuilds and learning the Soft-lok clutch.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah you might want to think about getting a supra trans in the camaro lol. I hope somebody can figure out how to get these jokers to last. I think the best thing out now is a faceplated t56 magnum from rpm transmissions with some spray nozzles in the right place. Or the straight cut gear setup in the lingenfelter car built by rpm trans. Its just really expensive for those setups. Ask Jeremy.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha.. i know... Getrag in a camaro , hmmm...
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I know the video has vanished, but didn't Joe Honeycut go 8.60s with a T56?
Sorry I was speaking about a T56 with 6 forward gears and reverse. Taner B has the record as far as I know.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Sorry I was speaking about a T56 with 6 forward gears and reverse. Taner B has the record as far as I know.
Ahh. I didn't know we were breaking the record down that specific now Just messin with you.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM
FormerVendor

wow a camaro? crazy to see you give up that fly'n Supra, but hey you still have another sick Supra in the house

good luck with the build
Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the LS-world Darin. My friends and I have followed your Supras for a while now down at the TX2K events, etc. Definitely do some research on here, theres lots to learn about these cars with what works and what doesn't. You're gonna need a STOUT clutch to handle the power a turbo'd v8 is going to dish out outta the hole, and I have a feeling you'll be going thru trannys left and right in your quest. You'll definitely need a well tuned suspension to get you there too, not to mention the weight loss these other guys have discussed. Those comp. eng. 3 way adj shocks are decent, and work well with automatic trannys, but with the power you're going to be trying to manage you're gonna want to invest in some fully adjustable shocks - at least Strange's and even better Afcos for what you're wanting to do with the car with the 6 speed - so you have total adjustability and tuning of the suspension. The way these cars are setup is much different than a Supra...might want to talk with the guys at Madman & Co. Racing for chassis advice. Best of luck!

Last edited by Photochop; 09-28-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribing to this thread. I love the supras that you guys build, especially yours jess. Looking forward to seeing this car run. The only question is, which one of you will be the one to run the fast time? Lol
Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

sub'd
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Darin! Great to finally see good pics of the build. Somehow, I just KNEW you would use a MoTec. LOL

Jess, my dear, if you EVER sell your car and buy a Camaro mullet-mobile, I am flying down to FL and taking you to a psychiatrist. Darin will look right at home in the car, though.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

I would def get with Madman&co. They set up the fastest F-bodies around. Cool guys to work with also!
Jeremy to me compairing a true T56 to Joes is like compairing a Outlaw car to a street car. Sure they look the same on the outside but whats really goin on is a totally different animal. lol
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by supragrl93
We will figure it out as we go.. You have to understand we come from the world of Supras
Who does the cylinder heads for you?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Darin, Your clutch choice will make or break your setup call Tim Hyatt at Hyatt Racing Services. 440-254-1311
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Who does the cylinder heads for you?
Not headgames if that's what your asking.. I like those guys a lot though! I had slowboy do mine cause they were local and i needed it fast. We used to go to the place Titan uses when Darin worked there. That guys name was Bill but now that we have our own shop we don't use him anymore.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Darin, I'm curious to see how the build goes. Good luck with it, Motec FTW.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

I saw joes camaro run a few years ago at tx2k, if i remember correctly he was running some kind of dogbox trans and the car also had a wheelie bar. Im not planning on making this an all out drag car like that, i want it to remain streetable with a/c, power steering and stock suspension.

As far as the clutch goes im going to run a tilton triple carbon clutch like i did in the supra, it is the only clutch i would ever consider for a car like this. The whole clutch assembly with flywheel will weigh less than 25 lbs, it engages as smooth as a stock clutch and will hold 1500+ hp.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Teching In

good luck Darin, cant wait to see the results
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Subscribing, curious to see how this goes
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

It's going to be fun to watch regardless of outcome. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darin D
I saw joes camaro run a few years ago at tx2k, if i remember correctly he was running some kind of dogbox trans and the car also had a wheelie bar. Im not planning on making this an all out drag car like that, i want it to remain streetable with a/c, power steering and stock suspension.

As far as the clutch goes im going to run a tilton triple carbon clutch like i did in the supra, it is the only clutch i would ever consider for a car like this. The whole clutch assembly with flywheel will weigh less than 25 lbs, it engages as smooth as a stock clutch and will hold 1500+ hp.
I'm curious how the triple carbon will hold up to the torque, interesting to see.

I wouldn't even consider wasting your time with that factory sway bar, you've got all the right stuff so far, but the car needs anti-roll bar or it's just going to shift all it's weight on 1 of the rear tires.

Quick Reply: MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.