Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.

Just thought I would share my new project. Picked up an 01 Z28 a few months ago and have been gathering parts for it and finally started working on it last week. My goal with the car is to eventually get it deep in the 8s with the 6 speed while still keeping the car streetable. It will be turbocharged with a built 408 iron block engine, G force upgraded T56 transmission, Motec M800 ecu, Spec twin disc clutch ( will go to a Tilton triple carbon eventually, when funds allow).

Picked up a Strange Dana 60 rear end for it and installed that last week. The install went really smooth, had it all done in about 2 hrs. Also installed some UMI lower control arms and panhard rod too add some strength and to get rid of the worn out factory bushings. And some Competition Engineering drag shocks went in to replace the blown factory units.

Weld RTS 15x10, and Mickey Thompson 28X10.5S tires. I have the Weld RTS 15X4 fronts also but haven't put them on yet, still waiting on the front runner tires to come in. Will post pics as soon as I get them installed. I had the rear narrowed 2" on each side and am running a 5.5" backspace on the rears.

Driveshaft shop 4" aluminum shaft with strange billet yoke.

My Racepak IQ3 dash also came in today

Here are a couple pics of the Motec M800 installed. I hardwired it into the factory harness for now, but will eventually make a full custom harness for it when I have time.

Will update this thread with more pics soon.

Thanks,
Darin
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Love that dash!!! Keep it updated, are you gonna do major weight reduction?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Definitely going to do some weight reduction. Nothing too crazy but I'd like to be around 3100-3200 lbs. My supra was around 3300 lbs when I was running 8.30s, but I broke axles and rear diffs a lot which got pretty annoying. The camaro is going to be a lot more stout in that department with the S60 rear end and 35 spline axles, so it will be nice to be able to launch as hard as I want without worrying about breaking an axle every other pass.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No offense but for thouse goals you should take the whole car apart, like everything. The 1st post shouldn't be installing anything. I know you can take it in steps but your going to be re doing everything you did so far, and a few times over. UMI poly rearend stuff, and thouse rear shocks. you think thats gona get it done?
Is that the tire you want to try to run? You know the full spec and setup your planing.
whats the t56 record a viper? low 8?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh wait just read about the supra.

I'd go to a bigger tire, off the bat and set it up around that. You can fit 30 with a tub keeping it stock suspension easy on these cars. I think even 10.5W with a normal 1 1/4 LCA and the rodend right against the body tab.
Gona street drive this car?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by studderin
No offense but for thouse goals you should take the whole car apart, like everything. The 1st post shouldn't be installing anything. I know you can take it in steps but your going to be re doing everything you did so far, and a few times over. UMI poly rearend stuff, and thouse rear shocks. you think thats gona get it done?
Is that the tire you want to try to run? You know the full spec and setup your planing.
whats the t56 record a viper? low 8?
I've run 8.60s on that same tire, so I know they will do what I want, but I will probably switch to a 29.5 eventually. I'm not looking to beat the viper record, just the camaro t56 record which I think is high 8s. I definitely think mid 8s are possible with my current rear suspension components. I am trying to keep the car as streetable as possible so I'm not going to put a 4 link in the car or anything like that.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by studderin
oh wait just read about the supra.

I'd go to a bigger tire, off the bat and set it up around that. You can fit 30 with a tub keeping it stock suspension easy on these cars. I think even 10.5W with a normal 1 1/4 LCA and the rodend right against the body tab.
Gona street drive this car?
Yea I've seen a few guys that have done a tub with the stock suspension, looks like I may need to do that for the 29.5. I'm just using this tire for right now to get the car driving. The 10.5W is a great tire, I've broken a shitload of parts with that damn tire haha! I was cutting consistent 1.27-1.29 60 fts with it in my supra before I sold it. The 28x11.5 is also a good tire and has a little less section width than the W so it fits easier, but I think I will need the extra rollout of the 29.5 to be able to go 170+ mph.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Can't wait to see it hit the track! Seriously running a MoTec and if you can get your hands on a Tilton will put ya ahead of the pack! I'm gonna be pissed if my supra isn't faster than it though
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darin D
just the camaro t56 record which I think is high 8s..
I am looking to Change that at the shootout. I got a Build thread in here somewhere. No offense, I think its going to take more than bolt on parts.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darin D
just the camaro t56 record which I think is high 8s.
And its a LT1 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice build but I would ditch those rear shocks. I had them on my car and they were no better than stock shocks on a t56.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

We will figure it out as we go.. You have to understand we come from the world of Supras which i guess are a bit more superior then? Because it doesn't take much to get them in the 9's and 8's and hell, they've even 7's on a stock transmission and rearend. There are a few key parts that most don't use in the Street Camaro world that we are trying out and will help in setting it up correctly from a tuning standpoint as well as other features. We will have to see how it goes! Hoping for the best but either way excited to be trying a new and less familiar build and seeing what we can do with it.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

I cant wait to see what you guys can do with this. I remember watching your supra vids when I was in the market for car they are sick
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Teching In

His supra was definently fun! I think the Camaro will be even better

http://youtu.be/VLHbXGM1lIQ
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Im sure you can get it well into the low 8s with the right engine setup and weight reduction and suspension mods. Itll be a fun and expensive new learning experience trying to get it right.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess my biggest problem is my budget. I am very limited compared to many of those "8 and 9 second supra's"

hell I bought my car as a shell for next to nothing, go buy a supra shell and its 12k. half my whole build.

Got enough money you can make anything fast.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

and I dont mean to be negative about anything. Just coming in here and pretty much acting like some of us trying for this stuff have no clue what we are doing, and that it should be a no issue in doing so.

I dont know what trans those supra's have, but kinda seems these T56's have their limits. I have yet to hurt mine though. Bent some valves on a missed shift, but trans seems fine.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AChotrod
And its a LT1 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice build but I would ditch those rear shocks. I had them on my car and they were no better than stock shocks on a t56.

I know the video has vanished, but didn't Joe Honeycut go 8.60s with a T56?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I know the video has vanished, but didn't Joe Honeycut go 8.60s with a T56?
a 4 speed T56. haha
Old 09-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Teching In

our trans in a supra are completly stock getrag v160's.... Supras dont really make torque though which might be what keeps those trans alive. My tanny has 180,000 miles on it and shifts perfect. We also run Tilton clutches which i think also saves our transmissions alot. They are a really nice clutch but they have a carbon shortage right now for them and they are hard to find. We are working on getting something made for this car but its going to be tough.

We are on a tight budget on this car too, which is why we are using just a few key expensive parts that we feel are the most important and keeping the build simple and changing things as we go from there. Just don't want to go all out and over do this build if its not necessary. It would be nice to keep it as street able as possible. Its more fun that way.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
a 4 speed T56. haha
We have built a few 4 speed T56s lol. Just removing the extra weight. But did I miss something with that setup? Was it not a T56 or what?

Quick Reply: MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.