Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darin D
Got the racepak dash installed, it was pretty easy to setup. For the fuel level I just ran the factory fuel level pcm input to a custom channel on the Motec ecu and set it up as a user channel with a 0-100% range so the Racepak can read it and display properly.

These pics were before I got the dash completely setup, obviously I don't need the tach to read to 9k haha.

Also got my mickey thompson front's in last week so I was able to put the front wheels on.

Crank came in last week as well.

Since it actually stopped raining today for a few hours I was able to finally drive the car a little today after all the new mods. The car drives awesome now and feels much more solid with the new rear end, shocks and control arms. Also, the g-force trans shifts really smooth and easy into every gear. The engine is stock internally right now with just longtubes, y pipe and eliminated maf sensor. So it's pretty damn slow right now, but still kind of fun to run around town with. I may put a single fogger 100 shot or something on it for now and see what it runs at the track..
racepak looks good.i cant wait to get mine in my car
Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks to be a sweet build!

One of the things I see that hasn't been addressed is the difference in gearing that you'll need between the Supra's that you guys are familiar with and the LSx motor you'll be running. I'm assuming a big-power turbo Supra will be seeing 8000+ rpm shift points or darn near, based on your video that I watched. A big V-8 turbo engine seeing 900+rwhp will be making peak power at 6500 or so, maybe inching close to 7k at the stripe. You guys want mid 8's which is 165-ish mph. You want to run a 29.5 inch tire as well. I plugged the numbers into a gearing calculator. I picked 7000rpm with a 29.5" tall tire and then a speed of 165mph. It spit out a ratio of 3.73 for the rearend. A 3.73 equipped car with a 29.5" tall tire is not going to 60-foot very well. You will need one hell of a top-end charge to get the ET and mph. If you were able to take the LSx motor to 8k with the same tires and same top-speed, it would be able to do that with a set of 4.30's in back, which would make it a beast out of the hole.

Just adding a little information out there for you guys, not trying to stir the pot in any way. I like seeing non-domestic owners stepping into the domestic world because they tend to look at different areas of the car with a fresh eye and introduce new things that us domestic guys overlook. Keep us updated with the progress!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

I should have some more updates soon. Right now waiting on pistons to get made, should have those in a few weeks then this engine will go together. Once the engine is together, i still have to build the turbo kit and fuel system. Turbo I'm going with is a Precision Pro-mod 91, and will be running and air to air front mount intercooler. I'd like to have everything together by sometime in January if time allows.

Right now I have a 3.54 gear in the rear, and that should be about perfect for the car right now on the 28x10.5. It should top out at around 175 in 4th which is enough for my goal with the car which is consistent mid 8s.

I love how a couple people seem to be offended by the "cheap" suspension components that I'm using. The whole thing with the torque arms is funny to me, it's a fairly simple piece, if this thing ever breaks I will just build my own. Same goes with any of the other suspension parts, If I end up needing to move the rear end around I can always install some heim joints, if I end up needing more rebound dampening than these shocks can provide, then I will get a different shock,etc.

This car is a work in progress, and will be built as money and time allows, so just because i'm using certain components now doesn't mean I don't want something different or that it won't ever change. I should have some updates soon, lately I have been busy at the shop and I have been running Jessica's car at a few races, went 8.64@170 at MIR during the world cup finals and ended up getting to the semis before the race was canceled due to track temp and track curfew. She is racing the car tomorrow at west palm beach, im hoping she can better my 8.64 Here is some footage from the WCF race if anyone is interested:

http://youtu.be/tXDC49ffja8
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with your project, obviously you have a clue, the supra is evident of that.

but it can be a bit tricky. if i had a bunch more funds i would definitely love to go forced induction. nothing wrong with the bottle.

mine is street driven, and i wouldn't have it any other way. 3200 pound race weight, well you have an aluminum block which helps...but good luck getting her done that light. not an easy task, trust me i know, lol!!! then again i weigh a tick over 230#, s (height has certain adavantages, unfortunately body mass is not one of them, lol!). unfortunately we have seen snow up here, and more scheduled for in the next couple days might be time to pull the insurance and put her away for the year

I think next spring should be interesting, for those with serious 6 speed projectiles. I took some time last year to strip and rotissiere my car, repaint, rewire, and pull a couple of pounds out of it (with some help from some great firends). late start this year but i think the spring will be a blast. starting to sort out a few things. car ran a 9.3 on a small hit, should be a hand ful with the second kit turned on.

my condolences on your transmission, you may not break axles now, but i would love to see how long your trans is going to last!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Teching In

We are doing our best to accumulate these parts fast so we can take advantage of testing the car while the weather in Florida is nice. Hopefully we will have more build updates very soon and get this sucker on the track shortly thereafter!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supragrl93
We are doing our best to accumulate these parts fast so we can take advantage of testing the car while the weather in Florida is nice. Hopefully we will have more build updates very soon and get this sucker on the track shortly thereafter!
Lol
Hurry up I'm in Orlando for only 2more weeks
I want to see it go down the track

I watched u race this time last year after pri show
I was hanging out with louis g...

Ur car hauls a$$...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Started building the turbo kit today!

Finally was able to get started on putting this thing together. Waiting on parts and companies to re-open from their holiday breaks has slowed everything down. The engine is at the machine shop now and the machine work should be done sometime next week.

Here is a picture of the pistons I will be running, they are custom JE's, about 9.5:1 compression, lightweight asymmetrical design, cut for the 13 deg valve angle of the Trick Flow heads. 4.005" bore.

Also decided to go with Jesel SS rocker arms after hearing about problems with almost every other roller rocker available for an ls1.

We started fabbing up the turbo kit today. I decided to go with truck manifolds instead of making tubular ones. The truck manifolds fit well, they are sturdy and will flow more than enough for what I'm doing, plus they are a lot cheaper than making a set of custom tubular headers . The radiator obviously has to be relocated to fit this turbo, so I went with a universal griffen unit that has the Inlet on the opposite side, that will be mounted right behind the intercooler.

The turbo you see in the pictures is just a Precision "pro mod" mock up turbo, it has no wheels in it.

The only thing i'm not sure about is how I want to run the downpipe. I was thinking about splitting it into two 3" tubes and route them to the back but that seems like it's going to be a mess. In order to run a 4" through to the back it looks like i'm going to need a tubular subframe and solid mounts...
Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and buy the BMR turbo K member. It gives you too to run a 5" DP past the motor
Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

PS the rest of the build looks great
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great, you got some nice peices there. Good luck with the build...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And guy's, he's not being cocky. The title says "record chaser" not "record breaker". I respect them for trying another build. I am impressed with the supra build's and cain't wait to see what the camaro is capable of.

Keep us updated Darin!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like progress, anxious to see what it runs and how far the t56 will take ya.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Looks good, just going to have some trail and error.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Wastegates mounted.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

I could just stare at this all day and wish. Can't wait to see what it does going to be sick!!! And hope you break any and what ever records, so we can all start seeing some badass competion. Im deff a camaro guy at heart, but don't think i could sell a mkIV supra if i had the chance to have one. LOL. But again, good luck and can't wait to see what the outcome is!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I just want to point out that these guys are trying to help you out. (refering to the non adjustable suspension, shocks, TA etc.) There are companies in place that can really help you in your goal and if youre spending all this money on the turbo and bad *** motor then why did you skimp on suspension? Basically your set-up looks good for a 1.5 60'.

I run those same shocks and I am not pleased with them. They squat so bad. Im sure you've heard the old saying "girls squat, race cars dont".

As for the lower control arms, youre gonna need adjustables to place the rear where you want for added control of the launch, wheel fitment etc.

The torque arm is a nice piece. I have a lot of faith in UMI but I personally wouldnt use that one for an 8 second car. It leaves a lot on the table from what I understand. Mad man makes a torque arm that is second to none for these cars.

Madman has the shocks you need to run, they are valved specifically for these cars. They are going to be a must for the 6 speed to control the launch. Basically those shocks you have are going to allow the car to squat and then its going to unload and youre gonna spin, if you ever hook to begin with.

Im sure you know that in order to run the number youre wanting, youre going to have to 60 foot like a man so why would you skimp on those parts that will allow you to do this?

The S60 was an excellent choice. I would have personally gone with a fab 9 to save some weight and add some strength. You didnt make the wrong choice for sure though.

You should read studderin's thread on weight reduction. There is lots of good info in there for you. You could save yourself a lot of effort just by cutting weight out.

We are all here to help and we want you to accomplish your goals. Take that for what its worth though.

Car is bad *** man. I cant wait to see what it runs.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darin D

I love how a couple people seem to be offended by the "cheap" suspension components that I'm using. The whole thing with the torque arms is funny to me, it's a fairly simple piece, if this thing ever breaks I will just build my own. Same goes with any of the other suspension parts, If I end up needing to move the rear end around I can always install some heim joints, if I end up needing more rebound dampening than these shocks can provide, then I will get a different shock,etc.
There is a reason it cost big $$$ to go fast. If it was easy on cheaper parts, people wouldnt bother with the "better" stuff.

I think some are trying to help you and give advice, I understand you dont have to follow, listen or even bother with it but I dont think they would just say things for their health.
Good luck with the goal, I love a fast car with 3 pedals.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Nice build!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I know the video has vanished, but didn't Joe Honeycut go 8.60s with a T56?
Yes... and the more impressive part is that was naturally aspirated..
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/six-sp...ng-lsx-camaro/

And hes been I think 8.30 now with the th400, Still NA still with some old junk cathy heads, and a GM 6L block.

Quick Reply: MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.