Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to reduce weight in my 9 second Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to reduce weight in my 9 second Camaro

Hello, I have a 92 Camaro, backhalf 4-link car, all chrome moly, small block, AJE front end, pinto rack etc. the car runs 9.70's in the heat @ 138mph and its 2600lbs without me in it, race weight 2800.I want to keep my stock doors just beacause I like the roll up windows! I wonder what else I can do to reduce another 100-150 lbs of the car besides doing fiberglass body, any advice is appriciated, I'll post pics later
Old 10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whats done to the doors so fa?
. 2600... sounds like you know a little about this
Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

doors are stock, I still have all stock glass all the way around the car, I also have aerospace brakes and coil overs front and back, no brake booster etc, under the hood is all cleaned out
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Are the crash bars and crash plastic behind the front/rear bumpers? Seeing as you have stock glass still maybe go that route and replace it all with lexan?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

I do have the crash bars plastics on front and back. I wonder if there is too much weight to loose from those, any idea? I'd rather keep the glass on the doors and windshield, its nice to have the roll up windows especially in Florida's race tracks and also I'm keeping the car in enclosed trailer so I'm sure if i switch to fibirglass doors it will be pain in the rear to get in/out of the car
Old 10-01-2011, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1 Freak
I do have the crash bars plastics on front and back. I wonder if there is too much weight to loose from those, any idea? I'd rather keep the glass on the doors and windshield, its nice to have the roll up windows especially in Florida's race tracks and also I'm keeping the car in enclosed trailer so I'm sure if i switch to fibirglass doors it will be pain in the rear to get in/out of the car
Pretty good amount of weight can still come out of the car if you still have those plastics. I see you're in the Central Florida area and I know TRZ could build you a moly support front and rear that will lose some weight while maintaining structural soundness. How about cutting the frame back to the strut towers and running moly bar as the front end/radiator support. My friend has a similar SBC 3rd Gen on stock style suspension that runs 9.00's@2750 on a 275 radial. If you switched over to a radial you could lose a significant amount of weight and also pick up MPH over the slick. Kevin Neal (the fastest man on 275's as of last night, 4.72) switched over to radials and picked up everywhere with no changes in suspension. Somewhere in all of my paragraph is 100 pounds waiting.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

I can do the plastic thing u r talking about but def. not going back to small tire, I've spend lots of $$$ to do backhalf/ 4 link suspension and it works great, the car is very consistant plus I bracket race with it.I wonder how much I will loose if i take all the plastics and supports from the front and back, might not be worth the trouble
Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 PM
8 Second Club

Do lexan front and back
Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

I can do the plastic thing u r talking about but def. not going back to small tire, I've spend lots of $$$ to do backhalf/ 4 link suspension and it works great, the car is very consistant plus I bracket race with it.I wonder how much I will loose if i take all the plastics and supports from the front and back, might not be worth the trouble
I think it's worth the trouble, plus all the plastic stuff isn't helping. How's the front of the car setup? Does it still have the framerails extending all the way to the front and still have a radiator support (I guess it does if you have all the plastic supports). Cut the framerails back to the strut towers an use moly bar as the front end support and radiator support. However, lexan would probably be the easiest route to lose 50 pounds.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the 4th gens go there is alot of weight to be lost off the front by just cutting off radiator support and frame rails and using chromoly(or aluminum if you can get so fancy) tubing. Running a bar from your cage through the firewall and to the frame in front of the engine allows you to cut alot of useless metal out.

Got any pics of the car? Im a big third gen fan and was going to build one before I got the deal on my car. Besides some drooling pics would help us see just what is taken out up front.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Old 10-02-2011, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Its showing as a red X.

As for removing the crash plastic/bars you can lose about 60+ lbs. I haven't done it to my 00' because its my street car, but I did do it to my 86'. Some companies make a lightweight crash bar to replace the stocker if you want the extra support.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

its been I while omn this forum, forgot how to upload pics.lol
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

This should work :-) those are the only good pics I have

Attached Thumbnails I want to reduce weight in my 9 second Camaro-img_1269.jpg   I want to reduce weight in my 9 second Camaro-img_2256.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

I see a lot of weight loss in the front engine compartment. Depends on how far you want to go but I would run bars from your cage out to the front. After that cut all of the factory wheel wells out and cut the stock frame back a good ways and plate it off. then run moly bar to support the front end and the radiator. That should be a drastic weight drop!

Quick Reply: I want to reduce weight in my 9 second Camaro