Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Inc Lightweight Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Inc Lightweight Carpet

I'm looking for some creative ways to shed some weight from my daily driver, but not "gut" it. I did a search on this carpet and it looks like a good option, but I have one question that didn't seem to have a clear answer..

How much louder does it get in the car vs the stock carpet?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the Carpet they sell at menards and homedepot. After I trimmed to fit it weighted 2 lbs. I took my sound deadening and old carpet out and I believe it weighted over 40 lbs. the car is so loud now I can't use the radio. This is on a head/cam ls1 w dumps after the driver door. It used to be tolerable w stock carpet.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Launching!

With sound mat removed from my stock stuff it wasn't bad at all. I believe the speed inc Stuff is a factory carpet with the matting removed which you can do at home.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's going to get louder but it's not going to be intolerable. I use the 80 inch side stuff from yourautotrim.com and it's about as light as you can get. Just stretch it alot to get it to conform to the floor, and use enough spray adhesive to get it to stick down and it will look good. Weight I think 6 yards before trimming with the plastic shipping wrap is about 11 lbs, by the time you are done 1/2 that is not in the car, so you're probably around 5 lbs for the entire car's carpet.

I did the carpet over and did notice it getting louder inside but it wasn't so bad that you couldn't carry on a conversation. Alof of it will be where, and what direction your exhaust exits and points. if it's under the car at the ground it's going to be loud in the car. Point it at each other under the car, or out the sides, or strait back and it won't be as bad. if you still have a system that goes the full length of the car it won't be that bad.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a bolt on car with a big converter and duals. Also have the Ozite carpet for yourautotrim. I honestly don't think its that loud inside the car.

If your accelerating and the car is hanging at 3500+ yeah its going to be loud. When your up to speed and just cruising its not bad at all.

For sure louder than stock but not intolerable at all IMO.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't think I am gonna do the ozite. I kinda of want to stick with a molded lightweight carpet like the one speed inc sells. I will still check it out though.

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I did the carpet over and did notice it getting louder inside but it wasn't so bad that you couldn't carry on a conversation. Alof of it will be where, and what direction your exhaust exits and points. if it's under the car at the ground it's going to be loud in the car. Point it at each other under the car, or out the sides, or strait back and it won't be as bad. if you still have a system that goes the full length of the car it won't be that bad.
My exhaust is a full length single 4" (simialr to a mufflex) with a magnaflow muffler and a single 4" tailpipe tucked under the car. Its actually pretty quiet in the car right now.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99french
With sound mat removed from my stock stuff it wasn't bad at all. I believe the speed inc Stuff is a factory carpet with the matting removed which you can do at home.
did you weight your stock beofre and after, who much did the matting weight?
I did it with 2 stock carpets, and it wasn't that much removed. It was alot = 2 full garbage bags or padding, and mats. But stripped it was still like 30 pounds. Everyone said it was half the weight (40 to 20??) and it wasn't. Stock it was 38,40 depending on how much of the floor stuff you inclined with the carpet.

The speed inc carpet was 12.8 untrimed, no seat, or center holes at all so you can do what you wnat with it. And comes with some matting under it. Also has a nice heal pad for wear, if your car is a driver or M6 car. Its not gona get all fuzzy like the ozite, and cheap stuff dose, and easy to remove to work on the car, for welding, cleaning ect.. The other stuff once you glue it down its there and you have to work around it.

louder, I haven't had a stock carpet in a while, but it helps alot having the front have the the speed inc in over not, thats for sure. With full catbck 2otL ehlps alot for the floor noise of the exhust. On the rear I run a square of the Ozite on top of the gastank so thats not muffled much, I would but some lightweight mat there. I know some friends that used some of the lighter $$$$ dyno mat and said it was alot lighter then the normal stuff. If you have a fixed mount TA, and a spool your gona hear that still, and rocks but thats more the back of the car. I hear my rear end the most, my gears are always loud after some wheelies.

Id get the speed inc. its not alot of money and you can sell it if it too loud. Sounds like the light towel crap is not what your looking for anyway.

Last edited by studderin; 02-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

There is lots of ways to remove weight. I'm @ 3000lb or so when in drag mode. I have not touch my carpet yet and still have ac, cruise,abs, ps,radio and all speakers. I dd it.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Is it the molded oem carpet on speedinc site that you guys are referring to? Kind of dumb question but if it's oem, wouldn't it be close to the same weight as the junk in the car now without the padding under it. I'm getting ready to gut my car and would hate to order the wrong stuff
Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya, check my build thread, thats why I took some pics of it out of the box, and fitting it to the car. Its has a soild rubber like base, so the backside is sealed for noises, unlive the other DIY stuff thats kinds the same top and bottem, you can see light thought it ect.

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000831
Speed Inc
OEM Replacement Carpet
Nothing improves your interior like a new GM Licensed Carpet Set. Quality Premium 100% Nylon material with thick jute padding for sound deadening. **For racers who want to reduce weight, the jute padding can be removed prior to installation.

itemno description price buy
TP53213 93-02 Camaro/Firebird Carpet w/o Hatch *Specify Color $159.99 buy
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11729357-post146.html

speedinc carpet (3/4 lenght/convertable) is 12.910 #'s out of the box

havn't really unrolled it, has a nice heel pad and some grey jute.
Name:  june09002.jpg
Views: 2668
Size:  113.9 KB
Name:  june09004.jpg
Views: 2623
Size:  121.7 KB
Name:  june09003.jpg
Views: 2675
Size:  101.5 KB
Name:  june09005.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  92.0 KB

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11810317-post158.html
Put the interior back, fit the carpet one day. The drove like 80miles to buffalo NY for some street racing, that night. Seats feel great, was about a 1hr... 15min ther and back same night. Carpet fits great, I'm gona get a piece of darker grey orzites for the top of the gas tank, an sow it to the carpet with a seam. That light greay was all walmart had.

cutting the holes in the speed inc. carpet
Name:  IMG_3262.jpg
Views: 2707
Size:  109.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3264.jpg
Views: 3172
Size:  120.7 KB
Name:  IMG_3266.jpg
Views: 3270
Size:  110.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3263.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  112.7 KB

some "finished" pics I took tonight
Name:  IMG_3271.jpg
Views: 3706
Size:  90.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3276.jpg
Views: 3068
Size:  103.1 KB
Name:  IMG_3273.jpg
Views: 2687
Size:  46.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3277.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  99.8 KB

Can some of you guys weight a stock carpet and your stripped one? thats one thing I found (well alot of posted weights) that were WAY off. I see people saying when I looked into this before I did this, how much a stripped stock carpet still weighs ! I think this is a good DD type mod alot of guys over look, Its 25-30pounds weight savings (just in the carpet alone) and you still have a nice looking interior. Maybe more weight if you ran floor mats, with the stock one that dosn't have a heal pad. M6 car I know I used to take my driver mat out at the track, when it was stock. And just left it out all together and it was starting to get wear marks from shifting. I've had the speed inc for a few years, and they hold up great. Even you you drive the car in the winter and get them all salty, you can just buy a new carpet for $150. ndb
Im gona get to get a new driver kirkey seat cover, the side edge is wearing out from DD. lol

Last edited by studderin; 02-04-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sofls1
I'm looking for some creative ways to shed some weight from my daily driver, but not "gut" it. I did a search on this carpet and it looks like a good option, but I have one question that didn't seem to have a clear answer..

How much louder does it get in the car vs the stock carpet?
I went through the same questions. I did a full carpet delete. I didnt mind it all that much except it sounded like a tin can and the wires showing. Really wasnt that bad. I decided to just take the stuff off the back and trim it so I could put it back. It only weighs 25lbs now anyway. The extra noise is very little unless your **** and wish you drove a mercedes. I say just doctor up your stock carpet. If not then go for the speed inc if your really set on it. Like I said, mine only weighs 25lbs now so why would it be worth it to buy another one?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by studderin
did you weight your stock beofre and after, who much did the matting weight?
I did it with 2 stock carpets, and it wasn't that much removed. It was alot = 2 full garbage bags or padding, and mats. But stripped it was still like 30 pounds. Everyone said it was half the weight (40 to 20??) and it wasn't. Stock it was 38,40 depending on how much of the floor stuff you inclined with the carpet.

it is i think about 13 pounds of foam stuff and it took a few hours to scrape it all off.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

That carpet looks pretty good. Does it match the oe in color?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
There is lots of ways to remove weight. I'm @ 3000lb or so when in drag mode. I have not touch my carpet yet and still have ac, cruise,abs, ps,radio and all speakers. I dd it.
I went this route too and still have all the comforts of home. I still have the all original bumpers. You are kidding yourself if you remove the original carpet replacing it with the lighter carpet thinking it will be bearable. It will not unless it becomes a full race car. I have true duals that dumped at the rear axle and it is fairly loud in the car under hard pedal. Cruising and going to the track, the car is fairly tamed but still way above stock. Just my take.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1
I went this route too and still have all the comforts of home. I still have the all original bumpers. You are kidding yourself if you remove the original carpet replacing it with the lighter carpet thinking it will be bearable. It will not unless it becomes a full race car. I have true duals that dumped at the rear axle and it is fairly loud in the car under hard pedal. Cruising and going to the track, the car is fairly tamed but still way above stock. Just my take.
What pissed me off was when I had no carpet when I was in the process of heat/sound deadening the interior. The sun would reflect off the paint on the floor and since the carpet was gone, the heat insulation (the stock foam padding) was gone too. Right now I have Frost King metal backed foam layers (a few layers more than usual over the exhaust areas) with Reflectix heat insulation laid on top of it, then the stock carpet. I don't really care about the noise as much as I care about the radiant heat (it sucked). Hopefully this lightweight carpet paired with the heat (and mild noise) insulation will be a combo I can tolerate.

In race trim, (stock drivers seat, with spare, no passenger seat, no speakers, no radio, no rear seats, STB, unhooked stock SS front swaybar), 255/50/16 MT ET Streets on stock 16" twisted 5 spokes + 17" Firehawk wheels up front, my car weighed 3450lbs (with tubular rear suspension + relos + 3pt SFCs). Hopefully this along with a couple other weight reduction mods will get the car down to 3400lbs in race trim.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Can you elaborate on your weight reduction? Very curious
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I htink thats just the car?
Im under 3K with driver, and passes full safety tech, looks same in the pics speedinc carpet F T W
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pete91
Can you elaborate on your weight reduction? Very curious
Lots of strategic lightening of mostly existing oem parts. I've posted quite a few pics. Most wouldn't have a clue what it weighs by lookin at it.
Originally Posted by studderin
I htink thats just the car?
Im under 3K with driver, and passes full safety tech, looks same in the pics speedinc carpet F T W
Yea just the car....but a completely streetable dd car . I weighed it the other day with 3/8 tank of gas, my 18's on it, my blanky in the back, a jacket, some nice floor mats, other dd crap and the front bar on it and it came in @ 3080. I have a few other pieces that I can lighten now.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of strategic lightening of mostly existing oem parts. I've posted quite a few pics. Most wouldn't have a clue what it weighs by lookin at it.

Yea just the car....but a completely streetable dd car . I weighed it the other day with 3/8 tank of gas, my 18's on it, my blanky in the back, a jacket, some nice floor mats, other dd crap and the front bar on it and it came in @ 3080. I have a few other pieces that I can lighten now.
Well since your occupation is listed as "Compsite tech" would you mind sharing some of these ideas/pieces? heh heh I saw the two aero mods you made threads for, but nothing else... Any links?

Last edited by ZexGX; 04-26-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

I've posted lots of pics on here of stuff I've done. Although I am not a composite tech anymore and really have not made anything composite for my car that would affect weight. Most of what I have done is remove parts lighten them and reinstall them. There is ALOT of meat on these cars and misc stuff. I have yet to touch the chassis also, everything I have done has been parts that bolt on.

Quick Reply: Speed Inc Lightweight Carpet