Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which muffler/bullet after flowmaster merge fits

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which muffler/bullet after flowmaster merge fits

I got a 3 inch Y into a 4 inch flowmaster merge and need something to put off the end of that. I want the quiestest (LOL) muffler or bullet I can get that will fit. When I go to the track I'll take it off so it doesnt matter how restrictive it is. Anyone got some ideas?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sam put a 4inch dynomax bullit
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can go down to 3.5 inch a moroso spiral flow will fit pretty good... nore sure if that's an option or not.

If not, then you may have to go with a regular bullet, or something like a dynatech slipt flow or the like.

If, you can remove some of the seat hump out of the passenger's side you can make ALOT of room to put whatever you want, not sure if that's an option or not though.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you can go down to 3.5 inch a moroso spiral flow will fit pretty good... nore sure if that's an option or not.

If not, then you may have to go with a regular bullet, or something like a dynatech slipt flow or the like.

If, you can remove some of the seat hump out of the passenger's side you can make ALOT of room to put whatever you want, not sure if that's an option or not though.
I can put whatever reducer on it to make something work since I'll take it off for the track anyway. Been looking at some magnaflow stuff too.

Originally Posted by john563
sam put a 4inch dynomax bullit
Right lol, I want to be able to drive this thing without getting pulled over constantly.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Would something like this work? 14" long 5x8 oval case.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/14153/10002/-1
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I cannot access my car for a few more months since it's in storage so I cannot measure. I finally upgraded my restrictive intaake / tb combo to match up w/ my big cam / ported heads deal, All flowing through 1 3/4 Hooker Super Comp Lt's and Hooker 3"ORY. I am going to chop the y pipe up and I want to install a flowmaster merge like you, and dump it before the axle. Stock ride height, but clearance is a real issue, and a bullet will give me more attention from cops than I want. Mines running through a Magnaflow catback which in reality is (2) 3" pipes jammed into (1) 3" pipe, the split off into (2) 2.5" pipes. Not the best. Loudness doesn't attract unwanted attention at normal cruising or idle through my setup now, but for max power, I need to open the exhaust up, but try to keep noise about the same. Kinda stumped.

I like the idea of that Magnaflow muffler. I cannot determine if the case size for that muffler will work good since my car isn't here. Only other option I thought of would be a custom x pipe and build true duals to the axle, but again, mufflers are a little limited and I need it not to make everyone staring me down.

Are you planning on dumping it before the axle, or going a route like a Mufflex setup?

I found this one, but unsure because I haven't heard anyone have one on a car:

Dynatech split flow, straight through baffled, case length 14", overall length 19", 7" wide
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-776-14402/

or there are Borla XR-1's, but if I remember right, it's almost like running nothing
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-40948/

mark jr.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 02-14-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

I actually ordered the one from mufflex for hooker headers. I plan on putting a muffler right after the merge. I should have it mocked up in about a week to see what kind of space I am working with.

Before you use the hooker Y make sure its actually 3", mine wasnt and it was really restrictive. I have tsp duals now and gained 3 tenths and 3 mph at the track but now ground clearence and noise sucks.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TA1364
I actually ordered the one from mufflex for hooker headers. I plan on putting a muffler right after the merge. I should have it mocked up in about a week to see what kind of space I am working with.

Before you use the hooker Y make sure its actually 3", mine wasnt and it was really restrictive. I have tsp duals now and gained 3 tenths and 3 mph at the track but now ground clearence and noise sucks.
I just checked out their website and saw the y-pipe you are talking about. For now I am keeping the coated super comps, but want to some day upgrade to 1 7/8 stainless kooks, or hookers. I need to upgrade the exhaust since I upgraded to a 90/90 combo, big cam and cnc'd 243's. Needs to breathe better. Also don't want it over the axle because I tear the exhaust off the car many times a year working on it, and I don't like exhaust tips showing on my car.

Their y-pipe is a little much for me, but I know their quality is worth it. I can get the tubing for pretty cheap at some of the bigger swap meets (Raindolf and Canfield) and the diesel exhaust guys have the bends and everything pretty cheap. Plus I can cut it all up and weld it myself so I can save a bunch there.

I will for sure measure the y-pipe when I get my car out of storage and see if it's exact. I wish there was someone local w/ either 3" true duals, or a single 4" so I can hear it. I need it kinda quiet, like the setup I have now, but able to flow. Don't really want to gamble and build an exhaust hoping its not over the top loud and it really is. Not sure if (2) 3" mufflers is quieter than a single 4" or not. If I found someone local w/ a Mufflex setup for sale, I would grab it if the price was right.

looking forward to seeing your finished setup. I have a bunch of pics of single 4" setups I have compiled over the years from the exhaust section of this site. Gives me ideas

thanks for the tip on the hooker y

-mark jr.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Got the Y pipe on, it fits great. I am going to take some measurements for a muffler tonight.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like the best bet is to add about 8 inches of tubing off the Y then there is a little more room for one of the above mufflers. Only other option is bfh mod.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Which muffler/bullet after flowmaster merge fits