Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After crash rebuild by Midwest Chassis!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
It was a 2.5qt puke tank. When the crankcase went to the same boost level as the intake. It wasn't enough...
I hope other people have seen what can happen and make changes to make there cars safer. But you just never know what can happen.
We did also add another safety measure to keep this from happening. We installed a hobbs switch on the valley cover. That is connected to ground and the ignition. So if pressure happens in the crankcase it kills the ignition.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice safety system with the Hobbs switch. Simple and effective.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what I did. I have my turbo and all my breathers draining to this tank and the pump puts eveything back into the dry-sump tank. Testing everything next week.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what caused the piston damage?
I thought us nitrous guys were the only ones who burn up pistons?

Crazy wreck, good luck with the rebuild and racing this year.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

LSmonster, Very nice setup. If you don't have a splitter in your Wilson elbow. You may want to have one added. This will help with cylinder equalization.

ATVracr, We had a bunch of correction in that cylinder and it looks like it wasn't enough. From what we can tell it got hot and a piece broke off. Then it just torched down the side of it.
Thanks. Well be back at MIR this year if all goes as planned. Keepn the sunny side up.

Quick note and a thanks to Kurt Urban. Incase anyone else tries the hobbs switch idea. You need to run a one way valve in front of the hobbs switch. So the motor can't refire once the crankcase pressure has dropped.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
LSmonster, Very nice setup. If you don't have a splitter in your Wilson elbow. You may want to have one added. This will help with cylinder equalization.

ATVracr, We had a bunch of correction in that cylinder and it looks like it wasn't enough. From what we can tell it got hot and a piece broke off. Then it just torched down the side of it.
Thanks. Well be back at MIR this year if all goes as planned. Keepn the sunny side up.

Quick note and a thanks to Kurt Urban. Incase anyone else tries the hobbs switch idea. You need to run a one way valve in front of the hobbs switch. So the motor can't refire once the crankcase pressure has dropped.
The new manifold should help a bunch.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you know about how many runs on those pistons before it did that?

are you staying the same exterior color?

i think i would have retired after that one,good luck with everything & the best of luck to you!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Look forward to seeing your car in Atlanta in June!

Was it #7 or a different cylinder that had issues?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Yep, took care of that. Sent everything to Wilson and they hooked me up. And again, it is good to seeing you get everything going back together... I'm sure it will be better than ever.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by heymoej
do you know about how many runs on those pistons before it did that?

are you staying the same exterior color?

i think i would have retired after that one,good luck with everything & the best of luck to you!
From the slips I could find. Near 30 1/4 mile and 25 1/8th mile passes. It only takes 1 to melt a piston tho.
The car will be the same color next year. With racing starting and the little time I have to get it done. It will be flat black and ugly all this year.
If I would have listened to my checkbook I would have retired. But racing and goin fast is worse then crack.
Pro Stock John
Was it #7 or a different cylinder that had issues?
It was #5. My elbow came in from the passenger side of motor.
LSmonster
Yep, took care of that. Sent everything to Wilson and they hooked me up. And again, it is good to seeing you get everything going back together... I'm sure it will be better than ever.
That will help a ton. I didn't have that it in my elbow. Probably would have saved the piston and the car.
Thanks... It's gona be ugly this year. But it's already lighter and looking to be faster. I pick the car up on Monday. So there should be some new pics added soon.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Glad to see things are coming back together for you! Lets see some pictures sitting down on the ground again! Good luck and see you guys soon!

Quick Reply: After crash rebuild by Midwest Chassis!