Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radial tire 6 speed guys chime in

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radial tire 6 speed guys chime in

This is basically about what is going on with the back of my car. The front has QA1 coilovers on it 275lb springs, the rear has the control arms relocated and a tunnel mounted torque arm and all the other bs. I think all of that is OK, it's the rear spring and shock that is what I think is killing me. I might be hitting the bumpstops too.
Either way, what I think is happening is it's getting on the tire then unloading. It has agx shocks and sportline springs which I know need to be taken out and replaced. The shocks are set at 2. I won't put the v6 springs in as I like the car being lowered, I'm thinking BMR rear springs will only raise it up about 1/4 of an inch and not 100% sure on the shocks. This car is a street car and doesn't see much track time at all. But I would like it to leave a little better.

Should I try stiffening up the rear shock? Change the spring? Obviously the bump stops are getting cut. I'm not looking to do anything fancy, so DA bad dude shocks aren't happening on this car. I'd like to get it to work without putting the slicks on.

Here is a couple crap cell phone videos from the track. Realize the prep isn't very good on this track but it seems the car gets moving then unloads/spins.

Thanks

Kris
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well try stiffening the backs and se what it dose. If i where you I would get da shocks in the back since its a 6speed car so you can adjust the compression and rebound seperate to compensate for track conditions but you say your not trying to do that.

I've herd of people still being able to launch with lowering springs in the back but i don't know.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some real double adjustable shocks on there first picdic and then see what it does. You need the adjustment with the radials
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
Well try stiffening the backs and se what it dose. If i where you I would get da shocks in the back since its a 6speed car so you can adjust the compression and rebound seperate to compensate for track conditions but you say your not trying to do that.

I've herd of people still being able to launch with lowering springs in the back but i don't know.

Good luck and keep us posted
stiffen backs for sure... I have problems launching as well... I have agx and found that setting them on 8 (stiffest lol) all around was better by .1 60ft
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

radial tires and a manual transmisson car never wrks, even mickey thompson says there radial et streets are not for a stick shift car, if u want it to hook they will even tell ya full slick/ bias plys are the way to go

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

havn't put slicks on the car for a year now
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLS1
radial tires and a manual transmisson car never wrks, even mickey thompson says there radial et streets are not for a stick shift car, if u want it to hook they will even tell ya full slick/ bias plys are the way to go
I have no problem admitting that I'm stubborn. But I also don't make 1500hp. I know they don't work real well, but autos and slicks are for race cars.

Originally Posted by camscam02
Put some real double adjustable shocks on there first picdic and then see what it does. You need the adjustment with the radials
That's for the other project. I'm being cheap plus it sounds like a ton of work trying to figure them out lol. You going to Sac saturday?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE

That's for the other project. I'm being cheap plus it sounds like a ton of work trying to figure them out lol. You going to Sac saturday?
If you say so... I can give you some settings that will get it to work right off the bat.

And nope, were making the haul to Pomona this weekend to run the NMCA West race. Running 8.5
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

They'll go on the other car, I'm just not in the position to buy them at the moment or I would. It's hard enough to go racing this weekend, I'm trying to refi my house. Ya I should have remembered you would be there. The only reason Chris is coming to Sac is because Kevin blew up last time. Good luck, go some rounds bro
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
They'll go on the other car, I'm just not in the position to buy them at the moment or I would. It's hard enough to go racing this weekend, I'm trying to refi my house. Ya I should have remembered you would be there. The only reason Chris is coming to Sac is because Kevin blew up last time. Good luck, go some rounds bro
I dont blame you, those babies are expensive. As for these shocks, go 6 out of 8 and slow the front extension some. like 3 out of 12 or so is where I would start.

Goodluck this weekend as well man.Chris' car moves out. I have a sweet vid I took in Bako of that car. And we will try our hardest to go some rounds. Hopefully squeak a 5.70 something out of this baby
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camscam02
I dont blame you, those babies are expensive. As for these shocks, go 6 out of 8 and slow the front extension some. like 3 out of 12 or so is where I would start.

Goodluck this weekend as well man.Chris' car moves out. I have a sweet vid I took in Bako of that car. And we will try our hardest to go some rounds. Hopefully squeak a 5.70 something out of this baby
Hell ya, that would be nice. Hope the air is good and the track works.
I might tame the front down, I'd like to try pull a bigger wheelie since I know the track will work better and I'll be making more power lol I'm at 2 I think, and it seems unanimous I need to stiffen the **** out them. We'll see what it does.

Chris and I lined em up last weekend up here. **** was hilarious, I spun hard so he didn't want to claim the victory but I told him he can tell the world. We'll probably line them up again saturday see what happens. Should be a close race, that bucket moves. It's my new favorite sleeper.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

watching the videos id say you need to heat them tires up a bit more..
Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ballzee
watching the videos id say you need to heat them tires up a bit more..
I was putting pretty decent heat in the tires. The track prep wasn't good either. It seems like the tire would grab then unload to me. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I'm thinking anyways.
What I really think happens is I'm hitting the bump stops and the car is unloading so it starts to spin so I have to get out of it. I am going to cut the bumpstops tonight and stiffen up the shocks. I will bring my video camera with me hopefully someone will film my car from the line so we can see better what it was doing.
Appreciate the help, and always looking for more input or opinions on what could be going on.

Quick Reply: Radial tire 6 speed guys chime in