Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does unhooking your swaybar do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does unhooking your swaybar do?

i posted a thread a while back about my crappy 60' times.
some people told me to unhook my swaybar. just wondering how that will help me improve my 60' times? should i remove it all together? and will it be ok to drive back and forth to the track? (approx 25 miles)

right now im at 1.9 60'. im trying to be around 1.7 or even a 1.69
im trapping 88.2

full bolt ons
lunati cam boxed lca's with sfcs a4 with 4000 nitrous stall and 295 MT dr's
i know,i know.its pathetic.i need some help.will post video after i get it tuned for 100 shot.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Removing the front sway bar improves the wieght transfer to the back tires. Also lightens up the front end. I drive Mine every where without it, so u should be fine.

I went from a 2.1 60, to a 1.9, but my car is as stock as they come.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, it improves weight transfer to the rear wheels, thus improving traction.
You're OK to drive without it, so long as you don't have to dodge a dog...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 32mm hollow sway bar up front for years. I recently took it off (it was cracked) and I honestly barely noticed much of a difference. Now, I've lowered my car a little bit, have qa1's all the way around, with 300# springs up front. My rear shocks are set to 3, and my fronts are at 1 (softest setting, because one of the dials jammed on me) so I find the front bouncy, but that is due to the shock. Handling wise I can't complain, I've been able to swerve no problem

Try it out, take the sway bar off, go for a drive, see if you notice a difference...try hitting a corner a little agressive when it is safe to do so and see how she responds. Try yanking the wheel left to right on an empty road see how she responds.

I really thought I would miss mine being off, and started looking for a new bar right away, after driving it, I've opted that I don't need it and won't be replacing it.

My hollow 32mm bar weighed in at about 15lbs, I think the endlinks are a 1lb or so, and the brackets are 1.5lbs each
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I took mine off. It did improve my 60' a bit and doesn't seem to make a huge difference on the street. Of course I'm not driving it crazy or anything on the street.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah don't drive too crazy and you will probably never notice it. I drove mine like that for a few years and never had an issue.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Launching!

thanks for the response,guys. i think i will be removing mine next time i go to the track.i need to take a video also.so you guys can see what im doing wrong on my launch.

Quick Reply: what does unhooking your swaybar do?