Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Z28 running slower than anticipated

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012 | 07:45 AM
Teching In

Default 2000 Z28 running slower than anticipated

I have a 2000 Z28 and I'm just a race for fun kind of person. I've only run my car a few times but only ever ran in really hot/humid weather. Last time I ran when it was hot out I ran a best of 13.7 @ 99mph. I've been waiting the last few months to run again so it would be a bit cooler outside and maybe I'd pick up a few tenths and 5 or 6 mph. So I ran last night as it was only about 60 degrees out maybe even a little cooler and was at Summit Motorsports Park so it is a premier track. Same outcome!! 13.7 @ 103mph, so I picked up my ~5mph but my time was the same. My 60 foot times were worse last night than the last time I raced. I was consistantly hitting 2.0 second 60ft a few months ago, last night my best was a 2.1 60ft. It seems that the car is doing all it can do and possibly it comes down to my pedal skills (this is an A4 car so it's a matter of launching the car correctly). It's a stocker besides SLP exhaust, SLP lid, slightly ported & smoothed throttle body, EGR tube mod, air box mod, that's about it. I just keep seeing other LS1 cars rocking 13.0 to 13.4 times and I'm thinking there is no way I have 7 tenths that I'm losing somewhere and 3 tenths would probably be tough as well. any thoughts??
Old 10-04-2012 | 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you getting a lot of wheel spin off the line? If, so, that will kill your time on a stock car that doesn't have enough power to make up for it once it eventually gets going.

Does your car have 2:73 or 3:23 gears? If it has the 2:73 that may explain why it's a bit slower. A nice stall converter will really wake up an A4 car even if you have the 2:73 gears.

And like you said, most stockish fbodys can run low to mid 13's easy. You just might have to start modding some more if you're looking for more speed. That, and weight reduction if you don't have a problem with that.
Old 10-04-2012 | 03:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Are you getting a lot of wheel spin off the line? If, so, that will kill your time on a stock car that doesn't have enough power to make up for it once it eventually gets going.

Does your car have 2:73 or 3:23 gears? If it has the 2:73 that may explain why it's a bit slower. A nice stall converter will really wake up an A4 car even if you have the 2:73 gears.

And like you said, most stockish fbodys can run low to mid 13's easy. You just might have to start modding some more if you're looking for more speed. That, and weight reduction if you don't have a problem with that.
Actually for having cheap ***, all-season tires on the rear it hooks up great! but it is a 2.73 rear car. I wasn't launching the car very well last night, i even red lighted on first round of eliminations, was a bad night of racing for me, i guess. More than likely it's a combination of my skills and the 2.73 gearing, it will get a 3.42 gear in the spring probably (have them in my 3rd gen as well and it's a pretty good all-around gear for an A4 car). It's a strong running car and only has 68k on the odometer so it's not super high mileage either.
Old 10-04-2012 | 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

High 13's is about right with a 2.73 car in humid air.
Old 10-04-2012 | 06:30 PM
Banned

My first night out in my car, SLP lid and SLP exhaust, no other mods, 'cept I do hav ethe LS6 intake on mine, I ran a 13.5, mine's A4 with 2.73's. This was also with a little bit of spinning.

I'll be going back to the track in a few weeks. I was launching from idle, pretty sure if I hold the brake in and launch from 1,000-2,000 RPM I can knock a tenth or two off that time, I've also got better tires.
Old 10-04-2012 | 06:33 PM
Banned

Oh, AND I raced mine in Mississippi, humid as hell down here. Only good thing was elevation was like 150ft or so.
Old 10-05-2012 | 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
My first night out in my car, SLP lid and SLP exhaust, no other mods, 'cept I do hav ethe LS6 intake on mine, I ran a 13.5, mine's A4 with 2.73's. This was also with a little bit of spinning.

I'll be going back to the track in a few weeks. I was launching from idle, pretty sure if I hold the brake in and launch from 1,000-2,000 RPM I can knock a tenth or two off that time, I've also got better tires.
Not too bad, but gears aren't too big of a hinderance as some people think. Switching over to 3.42's-3.73's won't yield drastic gains really, maybe a few tenths. It sure does make the car "feel" faster though.

Remember, a Lid, Cat back, and intake is a pretty decent step up from a totally stock car. With DR's/just decent raction, I bet 13.2-13.4 wouldn't be out of the question uncorrected. You can always use a DA correction calculator to give you a better idea of what you could theoretically run in perfect conditions.
Old 10-05-2012 | 11:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01

Yeah, i went out to the track on Wednesday searching for 13.2's but really expecting about 13.5. I have always launched the car from stall speed. 1500-1600ish RPM.... There's arguments for and against doing that with a stock converter because of excess heat buildup in the stock converter but I'm guessing it makes little difference, especially since I'm running crappy tires. I'm building on my 3rd gen right now so the funds for the 4th gen aren't there, just been having fun with it pretty much stock for now, it's a pretty amazing machine for something that is 12 going on 13 years old.
Old 10-05-2012 | 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Not too bad, but gears aren't too big of a hinderance as some people think. Switching over to 3.42's-3.73's won't yield drastic gains really, maybe a few tenths. It sure does make the car "feel" faster though.

Remember, a Lid, Cat back, and intake is a pretty decent step up from a totally stock car. With DR's/just decent raction, I bet 13.2-13.4 wouldn't be out of the question uncorrected. You can always use a DA correction calculator to give you a better idea of what you could theoretically run in perfect conditions.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking also. Better set of tires alone should get me in to where I want to be. I'm sure I need to practice my launching technique as well. What I like about the 3.42's on my 3rd gen is it did give the good "seat of the pant's" feel, which is really what you're looking for anyway, but my gas mileage actually went up. Swapped the same 2.73's out for 3.42s and a posi. Good all around set if you're someone who does DRIVE their car. Altitude at Summit Motorsports park is also a lot lower than I thought as well at 853ft.
Old 10-05-2012 | 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats pretty standard for a stock-ish car up here. I wouldn't feel to bad about it.

I just worked on a bolt on car that went 13.6's. We added a converter, LS6 intake, AIR and EGR delete, and ET Street radials. Picked up over 1 second and 3 MPH untuned.
Old 10-08-2012 | 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Thats pretty standard for a stock-ish car up here. I wouldn't feel to bad about it.

I just worked on a bolt on car that went 13.6's. We added a converter, LS6 intake, AIR and EGR delete, and ET Street radials. Picked up over 1 second and 3 MPH untuned.
Yeah, that sounds about right, now anyway. I've never run slower than 13.7 with only me in the car. I hit 13.6 a few months back in 98 degree weather and probably 98% humidity, but never broke 99mph. I'll be searching for 13.4's next year......... if I'm lucky, 13.2.

Quick Reply: 2000 Z28 running slower than anticipated