Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions on rear suspension - 99 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Opinions on rear suspension - 99 Trans Am

A few weeks ago I swapped out my single adjustable panhard bar with an on car one that I had laying around. Obviously it a lot easier to center that axle with that one!
That one has rod ends (heim) on each end. That and the poly rear LCAs felt a bit squirrely on an 80 mile drive yesterday.

That said, I'm thinking about replacing the panhard bar's rod end (on the body side) with poly. Also, while I'm there, replace those LCAs with the stockers, which are rubber.

Any thoughts or advice on this?
Old 07-04-2024, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
A few weeks ago I swapped out my single adjustable panhard bar with an on car one that I had laying around. Obviously it a lot easier to center that axle with that one!
That one has rod ends (heim) on each end. That and the poly rear LCAs felt a bit squirrely on an 80 mile drive yesterday.

That said, I'm thinking about replacing the panhard bar's rod end (on the body side) with poly. Also, while I'm there, replace those LCAs with the stockers, which are rubber.

Any thoughts or advice on this?
Check out these rear control arms. I have these on my Camaro and I have an identical set on a Mustang but they are sold under a different name whcich is J&M. The bushings are a three piece deal. They have soft rubber outer “shells” cupping a hard poly ball. The design is suppsosed to give a best of both worlds deal. It’s supposed to be able aid in launching while still being able to articulate in the corners so there isn’t any binding. I think it works. In both vehicles there isn’t any wheel hop and the rear end goes where I want it when cornering. They are also plenty strong I guess because I curbed it pretty hard in the rear once and they stayed straight and true. The Camaro has a non adjustable Founders Performance panhard (stock springs w/ modified rear isolators), and the Mustang is four link suspension with no panhard. I kinda want one for it though. I opted for the black pair but here they are in red. LCA’s
The J&M’s have been on the mustang for nearly ten years now and it used to make 1/8 mile drag runs with them on. There was a nite and day difference in the launch for the better after they were installed and cornering was improved quit a bit as well. Don’t let the price tag fool you. The J&M’s were a little more expensive than theyb Founders but both look to be of the same design.
*Edit*
They are not loud at all. They sound the same as the oem.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 07-04-2024 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Agree with Y2K.

I put the founders LCA on my Camaro recently and they give a better then stock ride.. Also replace panhard bar with Founders non- adjustable bar.
Well worth the money and better feel/ride of the rear end.

My stock LCA and Panhard bar were in good condition.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Biebs
Well worth the money and better feel/ride of the rear end.

My stock LCA and Panhard bar were in good condition.
Mine were too. My Mustang is a little bit more rowdy than my Camaro. Launching it can be a handful. After those control arms it was a lot easier to get out of the hole at the drags.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting. I have the Founders poly-poly LCAs. I love the tubular design, but not the bind. I remember contacting Founders a few years ago about removing those bushings and pressing in some rubber and they said it couldn't be done with what I have.

I ordered a set of those LCAs along with the poly bushings to replace the rod-ends on my on car adjustable Founders panhard bar.
Y2K_Frenzy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting. I have the Founders poly-poly LCAs. I love the tubular design, but not the bind. I remember contacting Founders a few years ago about removing those bushings and pressing in some rubber and they said it couldn't be done with what I have.

I ordered a set of those LCAs along with the poly bushings to replace the rod-ends on my on car adjustable Founders panhard bar.
Good luck Maddog.
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Good luck Maddog.
Thanks and I also appreciate the info on those control arms. I'm looking forward to some better cornering and less noise from that panhard bar. I had to crank the Rockford Fosgate higher than normal after replacing that PHB -LOL.
Y2K_Frenzy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks and I also appreciate the info on those control arms. I'm looking forward to some better cornering and less noise from that panhard bar. I had to crank the Rockford Fosgate higher than normal after replacing that PHB -LOL.
Lemme ask you this. How could you tell that the LCA’s with the poly bushings were binding? Sound? Feel? If I’ve ever expirenced it I’ve never noticed or didn’t know.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; Yesterday at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on rear suspension - 99 Trans Am