Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 4L60e build List, will you check me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 4L60e build List, will you check me?

So I finally got my hands on a 99 4l60e, that has both the 298 shaft and the removable bell housing. I wanted this trans is because there is a LS swap in the works. (current vortec has low oil pressure) When that engine is done, I will just change the bell housing and input /output shafts to the correct billet peices. So i dont have to build 2 transmissions.

anyways, here is the parts list I have so far. its basically level 3 from sonnax. I assumed all sonnax stuff would be designed to work together....

I know im missing some things (like pump parts and wiring) i need some help on those.

From Amazon
  1. 74574-HD HEAVY DUTY OVERUN CLUTCH HUB $219.18
  2. 77700-01K KEVLAR WIDE BAND $57.92
  3. 77911-03K 2ND GEAR Super Hold Servo Kit .87 Ratio $125.80
  4. 77767k 82+ 4th Gear Super hold Servo Kit $46.95
  5. 77749-02K Smart Shell Reaction Shell Kit $105.87
  6. 77733-06K Smart tech input Housing - no shaft $642.98
  7. HP-4L60E-01 94+ Performance Pack $158.49
  8. Borg Warner 29236AM Transmission Sprag $44.00
  • amazon sub total 1376.79

Summit
  1. 74140-01k Sonnax Clutch backing plates $126.27
  2. 74602-01k Heavy duty Reaction shaft kit $204.33
  3. 77734-01k Smart Tech Clutch Kit (for smart tech input housing) $111.81
  4. GM054 HD Reman valve body $527.36
  • Summit subtotal $969.77

parts i think i need that i dont have yet
  • reverse input drum? stock, after market? Id like a new one
  • Best clutch packs for the rest of the trans?
  • I need a stamped steel forward piston per the smart tech input instructions. I cant find the part number for this, only the bonded pistons.
  • Additional seals?? and Pump parts?
  • best wiring harness? Ive seen a few different ones on the webs

I'll be adding to and revising this list as you guys give me your input so thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist_565; 07-04-2024 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Check with PBA on here. He can probably put together a kit based on what else you need that you don't have already.

These threads may be of interest:

Post 14 here: best reuild kit for 4l60e - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Another 4L60E rebuild based on build thread research - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

The following users liked this post:
Mad_Scientist_565 (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist_565

parts i think i need that i dont have yet
  • reverse input drum? stock, after market? Id like a new one If yours is flat, you can reuse it, just sand the mating surface. A reman unit is okay, just be sure to adjust the 2-4 band accordingly.
  • Best clutch packs for the rest of the trans? Borg Warner High Energy
  • I need a stamped steel forward piston per the smart tech input instructions. I cant find the part number for this, only the bonded pistons.
  • Additional seals?? and Pump parts? ALL NEW BUSHINGS
  • best wiring harness? Ive seen a few different ones on the webs Unless it is damaged, it should be safe to reuse. I know that some will disagree with me.

I'll be adding to and revising this list as you guys give me your input so thanks in advance for your help.
What's your intended purpose for this transmission? You have a good list, but I think some of it is overkill.

I don't see any mention of an upgraded boost valve, or pressure regulator valve.

I strongly recommend that you read through the "Ultimate pan drop upgrades" thread, "Blocking the 3-2 valve," and look into blocking the 4th accumulator.

For the pump, make sure that all of the clearances are within specs. Try a 10- vane rotor with a 13- vane slide; that's what will give you the most flow.
I'd shim the slide spring with a 5/16" bolt to keep pressure up at higher RPMs.

Press out the input shaft from the input drum, and reassemble it with green Loctite. It's a common leak point that can cause a lot of problems.

Make sure that your dipstick is marking accurately; all the mods and parts in the world don't mean jack **** if you don't have enough fluid.
The following users liked this post:
Mad_Scientist_565 (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 527 Likes on 390 Posts

Sorry for going a little off topic but I am about to do a 60 for an upcoming project (or at least planned on it) but if they’re 2500$ in parts to rebuild why not just do an 80?
I figured it would be a few hundred in clutches seals and bushings and I’m good to go
Old 07-04-2024, 11:43 PM
Teching In

because an 80 requires changes to the drive line that adds up to costing more than what it cost to build a 60. and a 60 is just fine for the power levels and use case i have. you dont have to buy all the parts im buying. Im building mine to be beat to death.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist_565; 07-04-2024 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
What's your intended purpose for this transmission? You have a good list, but I think some of it is overkill.

I don't see any mention of an upgraded boost valve, or pressure regulator valve.

I strongly recommend that you read through the "Ultimate pan drop upgrades" thread, "Blocking the 3-2 valve," and look into blocking the 4th accumulator.

For the pump, make sure that all of the clearances are within specs. Try a 10- vane rotor with a 13- vane slide; that's what will give you the most flow.
I'd shim the slide spring with a 5/16" bolt to keep pressure up at higher RPMs.

Press out the input shaft from the input drum, and reassemble it with green Loctite. It's a common leak point that can cause a lot of problems.

Make sure that your dipstick is marking accurately; all the mods and parts in the world don't mean jack **** if you don't have enough fluid.
550hp plus a shot of nitrous in an offroad truck. Tha'ts for play. for work, it'll be towing occasionally. I pretty much drive this truck every day and do whatever I want with it. I know its overkill but I want the best parts inside it. I want the next failure to be after 120k miles and simply a worn out band or clutches. I have to do a lot of engine braking down hills so I really want the over run clutches locked up all the time. That and the fact this valve body has been worked on before, I'm just going to replace it with the sonnax. I have a dipstick assembly for a 99 tahoe, which is what this trans came out of.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 522 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
Sorry for going a little off topic but I am about to do a 60 for an upcoming project (or at least planned on it) but if they’re 2500$ in parts to rebuild why not just do an 80?
I figured it would be a few hundred in clutches seals and bushings and I’m good to go
Some of the parts that Mad_Scientist_565 will be using IMO is not needed. The upgraded parts that are needed will depend on the intend use of the transmission. A good stock rebuild can get up to the $1,000 range, depending on the condition of the core that you are starting with. Most of these valve bodies will need reaming in a few places, and I don't know if you have priced trans rebuild parts lately, but the prices have gotten out of hand.

The cost to rebuild an 4L80e will be close to the same if not more than the 4L60e, plus the cost of the parts needed to do the conversion will add up to more than a very well built 4L60e. Don't forget the tunning that is needed to the PCM/TCM to get the 4L80e to work correctly in its new home.

Quick Reply: My 4L60e build List, will you check me?