Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling front tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you just want to get soime air under the front for a pic. just take the front sway bar off, out the friont shocks and full loose ect, or drill out some extra stock ones. put 500-700pounds in the Ttop well, a 330whp car it will pull a wheel on stock wheels and DRs
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would love to hear why traction (granted you're hooking), or the sixty foot time has anything to do with it.
Have you been drinking? You are under the impression you can "hook" without traction?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Negative. You're not catching what Im saying.

If you have enough traction to hook... Traction is irrelevant to lift the tires. If you are spinning then traction might be relevant to hooking, if the car is capable of it. If the car isn't capable of lifting the tires, traction is still irrelevant to lifting the tires.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by lemons12
Negative. You're not catching what Im saying.

If you have enough traction to hook... Traction is irrelevant to lift the tires. If you are spinning then traction might be relevant to hooking, if the car is capable of it. If the car isn't capable of lifting the tires, traction is still irrelevant to lifting the tires.

Get back to putting your damn car together and bring that thing down to Tampa and we will settle this on the track. Then we can show the open poster what wheels up looks like.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speedtigger

Get back to putting your damn car together and bring that thing down to Tampa and we will settle this on the track. Then we can show the open poster what wheels up looks like.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

to further elaborate on what some of the guys were saying earlier about lifting the wheels causing a slower time slip. thats often true.

force is a one direction vector, it can only be applied in one direction at a time. that direction can be on any axis (forward, back, up, down, etc)

for example, any amount of force used to accelerate a car backwards (braking) will eliminate that amount of force from being able to be used to accelerate forwards (acceleration).

any amount of force used for cornering will also eliminate that amount of force from being able to be used to accelerate forwards or backwards or any other direction for that matter. In other words, any attempt to turn a car from its direction of travel will ALWAYS diminish its ability to brake or accelerate, even if just slightly.

this same logic applies towards pulling the front off the ground. The only difference being that the force is being applied upward as the wheels are pulled and the car is lifted, which would lead to diminished acceleration. Obviously the car is still moving forward therefore the vector isn't straight up but between straight up and straight forward, and anything other than straight forward (acceleration) is less than ideal.

this is in simple terms and some things aren't ENTIRELY correct just for the sake of simplicity but thats the general logic behind it, hopefully what i said is understandable haha its 1am and im half in the bag.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine only pulled them a small amount, 1.56 60ft, Bilstein shocks, tubular control arms and panhard, stock springs and torque arm. The nose of the torque arm is on the lowest setting on my BMR crossmember for the instant center adjustment. My pinion angle is still positive so I will need an adjustable torque arm to fix that. This was with heavy china knock off 17s not my lightweight poor mans skinnies aka the stock wheels I usally use.

Last edited by Troy5061; 12-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Justinktm
what should i expect? would it feel any different then just regular launching ?
I ran the nitrous over the weekend and when the wheels came off the ground, my steering wheel jerked a little or maybe twitched is a better word. But, the second I felt it, I knew what it was. However, my car twists and that may exaggerate that feeling a bit.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So some adjustable and a little weight out back will make for a good pic, then adjust back remove said weight and bam doing good passes again
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Skinnies + adj front shocks, and you would pop them up just fine.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

Ah right right, some dr's can't hurt either
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus_gs1
O yea I get that. I would like to also... I really wanna do it on the street. Just sitting at a stop light and boom all the way across. Thats the photo/video I want
A little Vin Diesel-ish eh?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Lmao I guess, I forgot he did that'ish damn it. Well I have wanted to before that movie came out haha.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow so many false comments in here about big wheelies slowing you down. That is simply not true. Stock/super stock eliminator and some bracket cars like myself run are great examples of this topic.

Work on your chassis/suspension if you want maximum traction and with the converter you have you should be able to lift a wheel and watch your 60's and e.t.'s drop
Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Can you explain further?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure, in short you want a "controllable" wheelstand obviously not bumper dragging wheelies each pass but to achieve maximum traction and take full advantage of the suspension components and converter/gearing combo. You know that you are not spinning the tires and dead hooked if the front end is in the air.

Personal experience with my Nova is that the higher the wheelie, the faster the elapsed times. It is capable of putting it on the bumper but with good shocks and other components it is a controllable wheelie but there are times for whatever reason where it gets a little higher and it has always gone faster.

Last edited by BAMALS1; 12-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, but for the sake of a discussion... What about wheelie bars? That would keep you from really pulling the wheels, but still allows the car to squat. But at the same time isn't the point of wrinkle walls to help you get traction and pull the wheels at the same time? I'm not expert by along shot. I'm just asking questions to try and get answers and get some more knowledge
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right, wheelie bars are for having the ability to control a wheelie. Some are spring loaded and some are not depending on your setup/car/class you run. Also, you don't want your car to "squat" because then it is not moving forward. Squatting is wasted energy. You actually want the rear of the body of the car to seperate from the chassis and push the rear axle into the ground for maximum traction/weight transfer. To "wrinkle" the tire is not always a good thing either. Try and run as much air as possible until it breaks traction. You will just have to test n tune to figure out what the car likes and dislikes and every track in the country will be different. More air in the rear tires = more MPH. i don't know everything either and you will get several different opinions. I have spent a lot of time and invested in some informative books that have helped along the way. i'm just telling you what I know from experience. My advice is first to understand how it works. Purchase good parts, install, tweak/tune, and enjoy!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, I just want to pick up as much as I can. I have heard about people saying you want it to separate when you launch. But then it became a big cockfest between madman racing and others fighting on how to get it to do that and blah blah. And quickly became about calling each other on bs and not giving out info. I don't know much about suspension, I was raised with the idea on ladder bars was all you needed, paired with big gears, big tires and a big motor lol. Not much science to it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

I've cut a 1.29 60ft in my 99 ta and never picked up a tire with factory shocks front and rear

Quick Reply: pulling front tires ?