Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling front tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pulling front tires ?

i have a all stock suspension 00 ss with cam converter built trans gears all my mods are in my sig just wondering how close am i to pullin the tires idc how big i just want enough for people to see i cut a 1.6 60ft on radials with a 7.7 1/8 mile only launching at 1800 and i can launch about 1000 higher if not a little more!

mostly what should i expect? would it feel any different then just regular launching ? i may sound stupid but its a legit question a few of my friends swear up and down its sooo close to lifting em i also have the stock 17s on with no front sway bar and i have about 100lb sub setup in back and only weighed 3400 removed my ac not too long ago condesor core compressor and all what do you think??
Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

your probably very close you need to ditch the 17's and get a set of skinnies. why do you want to do a wheelie so bad? if ur car is going up its not going out wheelies just slow you down. but if you wana do it just get some adjustable shocks on the front and set them all the way loose should pop right up lol
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Cutting 1.6's is right there for pulling a wheel! You might even be lifting it up a bit as it sits right now. Spend $150 for a good braille 15lb battery, and remove the windshield washer reservoir. That will take 30-35lbs off of the nose.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89camaro
your probably very close you need to ditch the 17's and get a set of skinnies. why do you want to do a wheelie so bad? if ur car is going up its not going out wheelies just slow you down. but if you wana do it just get some adjustable shocks on the front and set them all the way loose should pop right up lol
Wheelies don't slow you down. Watch a Stock Eliminator car come out of the hole. All of them go straight up, almost on the bumper, there is a reason for that.

Think of a shopping cart full of groceries. Push it forward and you'll have to get all of your weight behind it to move it. Now tip it back onto the rear wheels like a wheelie, and get it to its balance point. You can push it forward with one hand.

There comes a point when it's beneficial to keep the front end down to better apply power but that is usually the case once you are going sub-9 second ET's.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 AM
10 Second Club

Like 89camaro said...those 17's are hurting you. Get a set of skinnys up front and upgrade to a stickier drag radial. Nitto's will pull a wheel, but the track has the be perfectly prepped. If you get the 60's down to 1.5's you should defenately be pullin the wheels. Why not start with some suspension mods like rear LCA's and relocation brackets?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Tenured Member

I didnt see subframe connectors on your list. Put them on and you will get alot closer
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your only looking to do it to get a pic or something maybe just some ballast in the back , say a tool box stuffed with tools and a floor jack , those sound like things that could just happen to be back there at the track lol and it wouldnt cost you a dime if it works
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheelies are not good. Barely lifting is fine.

Short time has nothing to do with it, suspension does. i cut 1.50-1.52s on motor with the old 346 and i wasn't raising them even an inch. The old white car cut mid 1.5s and raised them about a foot.

It only impresses people that don't know anything about drag racing. Anybody that does doesn't care if you lift the tires.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

i have nitto nt05r 315's in the back my girlfriend said my left one comes up a little but its one of things ill see it if i beleive it and my windsheild wiper resovoir is empty should i remove bumper supports?? and ive seen a ss with stock 17s pull tires lol thats my goal is to do it on the 17s
Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a 4200 stall convertor why are you launching at 1800?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I have a 4000 stall and I get my best launches foot braking it as high as the track will hold.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

it seems to spin if i launch any higher i have nt05 315 tires and im running 25 psi just not sure what to drop it down to?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your going to need tires to lift the front , nittos are great street dr's but mickeys or hoosiers hook better
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
Wheelies don't slow you down. Watch a Stock Eliminator car come out of the hole. All of them go straight up, almost on the bumper, there is a reason for that.

Think of a shopping cart full of groceries. Push it forward and you'll have to get all of your weight behind it to move it. Now tip it back onto the rear wheels like a wheelie, and get it to its balance point. You can push it forward with one hand.

There comes a point when it's beneficial to keep the front end down to better apply power but that is usually the case once you are going sub-9 second ET's.
This is so full of bull dooky. I can't tell you how many cars that wheelie and lose the race do to expending the energy in going upward instead of forward.

As for your shopping cart theory, you already expended the energy in getting it on the back two wheels. The ease of the forward motion is because you are taking the weight in the cart to move it forward by unbalancing it. You do that with a car and it will flip over.

If what you are saying is true then every class in every race would be trying to wheelie instead of trying to keep the front down. Pro Stock don't even wheelie at all, neither do funny cars.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC98Z
If you have a 4200 stall convertor why are you launching at 1800?
I have a 4000 and launch holding the RPMs roughly between 1000-1200.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justinktm
it seems to spin if i launch any higher i have nt05 315 tires and im running 25 psi just not sure what to drop it down to?
Your running road racing tires at a dragstrip. If your set on NITTOs then get you a set of the 555r tires. Better yet get a set of Micky Thompson Drag Radials. Set the rears at 18#s and then tell us what happens.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Your running road racing tires at a dragstrip. If your set on NITTOs then get you a set of the 555r tires. Better yet get a set of Micky Thompson Drag Radials. Set the rears at 18#s and then tell us what happens.
have you not seen what the nt05r look like LOL theres just a solid piece of rubber through the middle i had 555r and i hated them
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
This is so full of bull dooky. I can't tell you how many cars that wheelie and lose the race do to expending the energy in going upward instead of forward.

As for your shopping cart theory, you already expended the energy in getting it on the back two wheels. The ease of the forward motion is because you are taking the weight in the cart to move it forward by unbalancing it. You do that with a car and it will flip over.

If what you are saying is true then every class in every race would be trying to wheelie instead of trying to keep the front down. Pro Stock don't even wheelie at all, neither do funny cars.
You missed my last sentence. Once the power level is extremely high, then you want the front end down. You should spend time on classracer.com with guys that run mid-10 second ET's with 375rwhp. There's a reason why they want the front ends to come up. It's amazing to see a SE car cut a 1.30 sixty foot time and then trap 123mph. They do that with perfect launch technique.

Here's one about to trip the beams with the rear tires:

Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

why do you want to do a wheelie so bad? if ur car is going up its not going out wheelies just slow you down.
Fact.

if you wana do it just get some adjustable shocks on the front and set them all the way loose should pop right up lol
This is probably all you need to do to get that cool photo for the garage wall.

Originally Posted by joelster
Wheelies don't slow you down. Watch a Stock Eliminator car come out of the hole.
Yes, you do lose time. It is not an opinion, it is a drag racing fact. Anything you do to go up is not going forward.

There is much more to what is going on in the low power class racers than you are thinking. Those guys are hammering the **** out of their cars on the launch because they are limited on the power they can produce. So they are using maximum RPM and power at launch because that is where the ET is effected most. Most of them are also suspension limited. This is most evident in stick shift class racers where loading of suspension, lifting of the front wheels and a little extra chassis motion at a launch stops them from spinning or bogging. It is like loading up a spring for them. Like I said, much more going on than meets the eye.

Don't forget also that even in competitive situations, there is ego. You are not the only one who gets wood when they hang em' high. I am looking forward to getting that on film too.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger

Yes, you do lose time. It is not an opinion, it is a drag racing fact. Anything you do to go up is not going forward.

If they set the front shocks on full stiff and raise the front end, they lose .05 in the 60ft and .15 to the quarter even though the car still dead hooks.

Quick Reply: pulling front tires ?