Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange vs Afco SA Front Shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Strange vs Afco SA Front Shocks???

Hi in the middle of a h/c/i build for my 99 a4 t/a car currently has kyb agx 8 way adjustables F&R with eibach lowering springs romoved front sway bar, rear lca's/relocation brackets, adjustable panhard rod, umi adjustable full length tq arm and thats about it for suspension with bolt ons FTI 4k stall/3.23's 16" 26x10.5 et streets(worn) & greg weld 3.5" skinnies 1.63 60' was the best I got about 2+years ago no suspenion tuning so it probably had high to mid 1.5's with some adjustments??? car dyno'd 340/341 RWHP on a dynojet so fast foward I dont think the kyb's/springs are gonna give me the 60 that I want so I wanna change em, I've done a bunch of research & know that the afco's are best & strange coming in a close second with qa1 out of the pic due to bad reviews so I have a few ideas Stange Front SA with stock front springs which imo is the best bargain & what im leaning towards but im curious about the SA Front Afco's since I couldn't find any info on them how much better/reliable are they than the stange & do they come with every thing needed or will I have to buy the coil over kit along with springs to make them work???? My car only has minor weight reduction, still has ac/heater, full interior & none of its leaving while I own it no offense I just my preference so its kinda heavy, hopping for 450+ from my h/c/i swap whichis kinda aggressive plus a shot of n02 a lil later & for now the rear will consist of 50/50 shocks/stock cut springs so just looking for some opinions on these two sa front coil overs, I know that DA's are the best but are out of the question due to budget & my t/a is an a4 so SA's should be fine any help will be greatly apreciated especially on the SA Afco's. Thanks!!!

PS...Sponsors welcome to pm me best prices on Strange SA Front & Afco SA Front Shocks!!!

Last edited by 1999BlueTA; 11-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had strange SA on stock coils. Good budget setup, just open the box and put them on. But on DR would really need DA, the comp. was to stiff so the car would be bouncy, like 2-3 little wheelis, pulling 2nd ect. But it worked, 1.45 1.47s, auto stuff is alot easier.
Wanted to go faster, looked into DA strange. Called madman, looking for some info, and ender up ordering afcos. He liked them better for my setup, and not alot more then starnges DA and specd the spring rate, valving on them for my car. Strange you can't, and gave me a free bearing kit, mount kit. And tuning advise to set them up, and later at a race ect. Theres alot of good people out there too, so check around for sure.
I also had the cheap 3 way summit/detech? racing rear shocks them with the SA front was great for the money. But I did and found as you go faster and add more power, betting better shocks is worth it. You can go the buget setup know and learn on them too, nothing wrong with that. I could see starting out just getting DA front and rear, would be alot to mess with at once.

Oh,I just didnt know any better, but if you care about weight, the smaller front spring are about half the weight. And ther the that much money. I think there under $100, just for the weight I would have gotten them.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Studderin, I'm looking for & will be happy with 60's like those with my pig & with being an a4 I think will ease the unloading problem so with SA upfront hopefully I can get it done as da's are out of my budget, yes weight is a concern I forgot to ask in my first post but how much weight will I be saving over the stock style set up???
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

PM sent Studderin!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Strange shocks are by far the best bang for the buck, and with an A4car the singles will most likely get you by. There is a 100.00 difference between single and double adjustable, and Afco's are 75.00 per shock more than Strange.

If you would be satisfied with 60' performance in the 1.3-1.4 range then the Strange shocks will be fine. I have a proven working combination for your application and the guaranteed best prices, along with the street and track experience to back it all up. Give me a call and I can get you setup with the right parts for your needs.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

AFCO all the way and don't look back! I had strange doubles up front and they didn't work near as well as the AFCOS!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

I think AFCO makes a better product in general. I personally run SA Strange up front and DA AFCO's in the rear. I'd much rather have a DA shock up front, especially being mine is a stick car, but hey it's a budget car. I'm not sure how the SA AFCO's operate but the thing I liked about the Strange SA shock is that the **** only controls the rebound adjustments. If you make it full loose, it still has the same compression dampening no matter where you set the ****. The **** on the QA1 shocks I believe adjusts both compression and rebound per click. So if you're on full loose, it's a bouncy ************ because there's very little compression also. Not a good thing, especially for a stick car when the nose drops on every shift.

For an automatic car, I'd say a SA shock will take you a very long way before needing a DA but I'd personally steer clear of the QA1's IMO. If you're on a budget, there's nothing wrong with the SA Strange shocks.

Mike
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an A4 car. Strange SA in front and Strange DA in rear. I have no problems hooking my full weight pig on a drag radial. 1.32 sixty foot.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, I decided on strange sa/300lb hypercoils now im trying to decide on the rear my thoughts are comp 3-way's and smaller 2.5" coil over style springs but im kinda lost on the length 10" or 12" & spring rate 150lb, 165lb or 175lb looking for about a 1.75" drop in rear???
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999BlueTA
Thanks for the replies, I decided on strange sa/300lb hypercoils now im trying to decide on the rear my thoughts are comp 3-way's and smaller 2.5" coil over style springs but im kinda lost on the length 10" or 12" & spring rate 150lb, 165lb or 175lb looking for about a 1.75" drop in rear???
This is a time when you should seriously consider the future goals of your car and order parts accordingly. I wish I had listened and did the same. What you MAY end up doing, is purchasing stuff twice. You don't want to do that. The comp 3-ways are a cheap shock, and will be adequate, but nothing more. They may work, or they may leave you frustrated. The BEST rear shock setup for a 4th gen would be a double adjustable coil-over setup with a custom spring. They are not very expensive either. AFCO's, Strange, Vari-shocks, etc, will all be roughly $300 each, so $600 a set. Maybe shop during a x-mas sale and pick them up cheaper? 600 bucks for incredible suspension that can handle anything you can throw at it, is quite a bargain.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the added bonus to a coil over i sthat you still have full travel of ur suspension. if i am wrong correct me. and then you can grow with teh set up. i wish i would have spent the coin years ago like that but i didnt and now i am going to have to rebuy things.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree that da's/coilovers are the best & i've done a ton of research but i've seen amazing 60's with rear springs in stock location enough so coilovers are out of the question/uneeded to meet my goals plus my car is not a full on drag car its a street/strip/cruiser full interior ac/heat etc...so im not trying to go to extreme just looking for something more drag oriented than my current kyb/stiff lowering spring setup that I have now also im an a4 so less is needed than with a manual car
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running Strange SA 10-way's for a fox Mustang in the rear. They are way cheaper($70)than F-body specific shocks and work great. Only difference is they mount 90 degrees turned from our factory shock stud mount. I just grabbed some shock mounts off an 8.8 at pull-a-part for a couple bucks, put them on my shock mounts and good to go.

Quick Reply: Strange vs Afco SA Front Shocks???