Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Looking Car.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Creeper98
Nice Looking Car.
I owned it for many years and didn't have very many people say that haha. Jrob56 really cleaned it up. Car looks great with chrome ZR1s. I used to have 315s on it. As for the crushed fender bracket...thank the Indiana State police for that. I think all three cars we bought from them were like that. It is awesome that the car went to somebody that actually knows what they are doing. Can't wait to see what you else you do.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah so you're the owner that got it after it was decommissioned and owned it before Josh? Very cool! Now I know the basic history and can put the car with 'people'.

Yeah that fender mount area is jacked- pun intended- on both sides. The driver side significantly worse though before.

It's been great so far, plan on having it a while and definitely taking my time and starting with the basics. When I took the rear seats out I noticed bolts in the floorpans, did the car used to have duals on it? Did you ever change the shocks/struts on it? I noticed the bumpstops were 'molested' haha, did you bang in the front spot that protrudes where they normally rub? I haven't fitted the tires yet, that's coming soon after the brakes are swapped.

Josh, the canary sound definitely was the a/c idler, pulled the belt and started it up today to make sure the battery was still good after sitting for 2+ weeks with no startup. No more canary!

Made some more headway today with the day off. Cut the front springs 1.5 coils and the rears 1 coil and hose-modded. Reinstalled the fronts strut assemblies and the nose back on with the clear corners installed. Realized in trading the black depo headlights I accidentally left the bulbs in those housings and the guy I traded with pulled his. So, no bulbs! Guess that's a good enough excuse as any to put an HID kit in them

Here's the nose freshly 'stripped', lots of room now for an intercooler/piping in the future!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Yep car had dumped duals with magnaflow 4x9s for a year or two, also yep we "massaged" the bumpstop mounts back in the day. I forgot about that, think I was still in high school back then haha. Struts/springs should be originals.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Photochop;17159588]Ah so you're the owner that got it after it was decommissioned and owned it before Josh? Very cool! Now I know the basic history and can put the car with 'people'.

Yeah that fender mount area is jacked- pun intended- on both sides. The driver side significantly worse though before.

It's been great so far, plan on having it a while and definitely taking my time and starting with the basics. When I took the rear seats out I noticed bolts in the floorpans, did the car used to have duals on it? Did you ever change the shocks/struts on it? I noticed the bumpstops were 'molested' haha, did you bang in the front spot that protrudes where they normally rub? I haven't fitted the tires yet, that's coming soon after the brakes are swapped."

Yeah, I used to have Magnaflow 4x9s on it dumped. One of them is still on the car, sold the other one to Jrob for is TBSS. Never did any suspension work. I knew the car would never handle so I was just going to wait until I had to do them. As long as the car went straight when I went WOT I didn't care haha. That is how good the ZR1s looked on the car, I couldn't resist doing away with the bumpstops. It looks bad, but cutting is just a neat way of doing the same thing. My brother's car (Cop Car) got the same treatment. The wheels didn't rub at all from what I can remember. Keep the posts coming.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

No biggie on the bumpstops, they won't be missed haha.

I figured the struts/shocks were stockers, one of the nuts on top of the struts was rusted worse than any I've ever seen. The stuff I replaced it with is from a 50k mile car and will work til I can get some qa1s up front.

I'll keep it updated as it goes along
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Anymore updates?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah I've been meaning to update the thread, been driving the car around over the last couple weeks breaking in the new brakes, noticing/fixing rattles in the suspension from the lowering, and clearancing the rear quarters for the 315s since lowering it.

Recap of the changes over the last couple months:
Remove backseat/belts
Remove cargo partition
Remove rear speakers
Remove front swaybar
Remove front bumper support
Remove windshield washer reservoir

Remove 1.5 coils from front springs
Remove 1 coil from rear springs
Remove isolators/install heater hose
Remove 170k+ shocks/install 50k mile factory shocks

Install brakemotive slotted rotor/ceramic pad kit
Paint calipers black/camaro decals on fronts
Install Chrome SLP SS 17x9 wheels & 275/40/17 front tires
Install Chrome (not sure what brand) 17x11 wheels and 315/35/17 Nitto 555R drag radials
Beat in a couple spots on rear inner quarters/Roll quarter panel lips

Remove factory headunit
Install JVC media receiver - for bluetooth/usb, also lighter than stock radio

Install clear corner lenses
Install 'new' factory headlights
Install 'new' SLP grill

It's all back together and heading to the tuners today to have the tune tweaked and put it on the rollers for a baseline. No offense to who did your tuning, but I feel the car goes into lockup too early (move that from 45mph to 52mph), and when it unlocks the disengagement isn't smooth at all, almost a jerk of a downshift feeling upon unlock. I'm also going to have the shiftpoints checked for normal driving as well as the idle bumped up a tad. There probably isn't much to be gained at WOT, but running 91 octane in it that we have here (no 93 locally), I do notice a slight ping/rattle under load in 1st and if it lets the tires go into 2nd the load of 2nd gear at lower RPMs causes minor pinging/rattle. It'll still light up these 315 Nittos pretty easily, which surprised me for the power it's making. Real curious to see what kinda power its making on a well running stock motor.

Here's how it looks now, with the biggest visual improvements being the new headlights/clear corners and the SLP grill I traded a local guy that actually had the pewter bowtie already on it. I think it looks pretty clean and works well since I don't plan on having any red on the car. Obviously the wheels and lowering help as well.

Fresh out of the garage after lowering before the springs settled (rears came down more over a couple days).

I'm hoping to get the windows tinted within the next couple weeks, as well as paint the tail panel satin black and do stainless inserts on it. I'm shooting to hit the track next Friday - was going to this week but it looks like bad weathers showing its ugly face for this weekend. Probably for the best though, I'm having my tuner friend drain the A/C system and I'm going to remove it this weekend - a friend doing a '79 T/A LSX build wants to run it in his car and I'd prefer the weight savings. I'll report back with better pics and track times soon.

Last edited by Photochop; 03-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Looks great man. Love the progress so far. I cannot wait to see how the tune goes. Sucks that the weather isn't cooperating this weekend! You know how Oklahoma is
Can't wait for that cold A/C

BTW, did you install that foot print gas pedal yet?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Looking good man, hit me up when you go to the track. Interested to see how it does.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Got the car on the dyno tonight, thanks again to Brett @ XP Racing for the tuneup. I'm real happy with the power the car made thru the auto. I was gonna be happy with 320rwhp, it ended up making that on the first pull, and ended up at 340. Got the trans tune updated as well so it's running great now with no bugs or issues. I'm a happy camper

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet man. Glad it is all lined out. I know this was slightly above your thinking too so that is great!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Photochop;17246415]Got the car on the dyno tonight, thanks again to Brett @ XP Racing for the tuneup. I'm real happy with the power the car made thru the auto. I was gonna be happy with 320rwhp, it ended up making that on the first pull, and ended up at 340. Got the trans tune updated as well so it's running great now with no bugs or issues. I'm a happy camper

That is impressive. The stall helped it out a lot I am sure. Not bad for a 200k engine.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Well the converter was locked, I don't really see how it would have 'helped' with the numbers on the dyno, but it def does help it get out of its own way better

I'm not real sure the motor has 200k on it, I know you guys said the donor car did, but with the oil pressure it makes I'd be shocked if it did.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Holy sh*t, that car looks awesome! Wheels and lowering made all the difference! Great numbers, and I would be surprised if it had that mileage too. Wish we could have found out more info on that engine.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

I'll try and get some better pics soon. I'm honestly hoping the front end comes up 1/4" when I remove the a/c so it'll be at the same height as BMR lowering springs - 26"F/26.75"R.

Took it to the track Friday night for a couple test runs. It was consistently slow haha. It was cold out and the track wasn't hooking well for anyone. Best was a 12.7@108.5 w/ 1.9 60'. I think it's got some 12.2x'd in it with a 1.7 or better 60' and I think it's down 2-3mph as well. I'm hoping with more weight pulled, some LCAs and relocation brackets, and a chrs1313 ram air it'll be there or better by the fall.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking B4C.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks man

A/C is off the car now, car's ready for a Chrs1313 ram air
After removing the A/C, the cars where I was hoping it would be right at 26" front fender height/26.75" rear fender height.

Going to try and hit the track again this Friday and see if I can get these nittos to hook. If it goes like it did last time I'm going to sell them and go with a ET street radial. I'm not ready to buy a devoted track wheel/tire setup yet, but I wanna be able to hook basically stock power!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Spent some time last night claying the car and applying a coat of Zaino AIO. Shines up pretty good for an old 171k bucket. Its weird how pewter looks silver when clean and less gold, I love that about it.

Racecar!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Good looking car, but I am a little bit biased

Quick Reply: Pewter B4C Street/Strip Build