Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best way to launch a stock LS1 6 Spd Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way to launch a stock LS1 6 Spd Camaro?

I'm trying to improve my 60 ft times. I'm usually around 2.25 or higher. Is it better to start slow and build up speed or rev to 2000 rpm and dump the clutch? I use street tires with 20 lbs of pressure. My 99 camaro is stock with headers, 6 spd, and 4:10 gears.

Here is a video of my best launch - 2.15. Any tips are appreciated.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would do 3500-4K and ride the clutch, idea was to never let the rpms get under 4K the whole run. Keep the tires on the edge of traction as you let the clutch out, if anything chipping a few times, and hammer 2nd and squawk them. This is not good on the cluch at all, but works got getting alot better 60s on summer tires. My Z28 rims with 245s think was getting 1.8s 1.7 bolts only making 330whp. With cam, pulled the stock wheels (little hop lol) think been 1.6 or a 1.59 even. (low 400 whp, and a better clutch) takes alot of work, but you have a ton of improvement from were you are now.
if your on the stock clutch you need to let it sit and cool off, after runs. You will get it hot, but dont over heat it and burn it, I got buy for a summer doing that, untill it would slip street driving 2-3-4gear. And if you mess up a pass, spins, miss a gear.. ect just drive slow and shift slow and get off the track, as easy on the clutch. You seam to get good at staging and holding it at a rpm. Nice work there. And just TnT if its a loud *** car or a bike like that, I would sit till they left, and you can hear the tires better. there s alot of info on this too if you search

whats tires and clutch do you have?

with a cam
http://vimeo.com/1822370

I know there some other vids, SI with bolt ons, I posted here years ago.

Last edited by studderin; 02-02-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
I would do 3500-4K and ride the clutch, idea was to never let the rpms get under 4K the whole run. Keep the tires on the edge of traction as you let the clutch out, if anything chipping a few times, and hammer 2nd and squawk them. This is not good on the cluch at all, but works got getting alot better 60s on summer tires. My Z28 rims with 245s think was getting 1.8s 1.7 bolts only making 330whp. With cam, pulled the stock wheels (little hop lol) think been 1.6 or a 1.59 even. (low 400 whp, and a better clutch) takes alot of work, but you have a ton of improvement from were you are now.
if your on the stock clutch you need to let it sit and cool off, after runs. You will get it hot, but dont over heat it and burn it, I got buy for a summer doing that, untill it would slip street driving 2-3-4gear. And if you mess up a pass, spins, miss a gear.. ect just drive slow and shift slow and get off the track, as easy on the clutch. You seam to get good at staging and holding it at a rpm. Nice work there.
whats tires and clutch do you have?
I used to do the same thing^^^^

I would ride the clutch out and try to keep the rpms up and then just grab second.

I would say best bet is to invest in some bias ply tires. That really takes alot of the guess work out. On the Hoosier QTP I used to just ride it out in first and keep the RPMs between 4K-5K then grab second and the jug. LOL!!!

Also like studderin mentioned you will need some cool down in between runs or your clutch will start fading really bad. Keep a check on your clutch fluid and just have to make some passes and get the "feel" for it.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Street tires are not meant to be run at that low of a pressure and can actually be dangerous. Bring them back up to 30 or so. Since they are radials the lower pressure isn't helping anyway.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Slipping the clutch with high power is a formula for varnishing your clutch disc and warping your flywheel and pressure plate (ask me how I know). The MSD-LS 2-step is super easy to install and only costs a little over $200 and can be installed in a Saturday. You want to install it so that it deactivates when your clutch is all the way out. There's probably a switch on your clutch pedal already that you can tap into. If you use the 2-step to control your launch rpm (start at 2500rpm and increase until the car isn't bogging out of the hole, but not spinning), you can dump the clutch without worrying so much about spinning or breaking things. That allows you to dump the clutch-that keeps it from overheating and either varnishing or warping. Your reaction times and 60' times will come down immediately. I dropped my 60' from 2.30 to 1.50 in a single track session. In fact, my 60' dropped to 1.65 on my first try after wiring in the 2-step. If traction is then a problem, you may need to get some drag radials or slicks to match those times.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Set of slicks and leave on the limiter.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to launch a stock LS1 6 Spd Camaro?