Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone removed there HVAC through the firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone removed there HVAC through the firewall?

I am wanting to tackle getting my HVAC out of the car to lower my weight as much as I can before I start doing all my custom suspension/ dieting.

I see this bigass box poking out of the rear left part of the firewall. I am wondering....if I remove that, or cut it. Can I not just reach in and rip, break the **** out of whatevers in there and cover it up with the HVAC delete plate?

The goal is to leave my creak free, uncracked, dash right where it is if possible.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a couple of threads I found that were showing people doing this. I did mine inside the engine bay, but I kept heat. Let me see if I can dig them up.

Edit:https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-heat-how.html

Here is the thread that I had saved. I used my die grinder to cut the box flush firewall, but kept the fittings for heat. If you wished to delete heat also, you MAY be able to break everything apart and pull everything through the huge gapping hole. I have not tried it though.

I also didn't want to deal with all of the BS from pulling the dash and interior apart. From now on, every one of the deletes that I do, that wish to keep heat, I will do this way.

Last edited by SMOKNSS; 02-21-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want the whole hvac out...just pull the dash, it isn't very hard at all, took me 30 mins first time. I highly doubly that you could pull it all through the firewall
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
If you want the whole hvac out...just pull the dash, it isn't very hard at all, took me 30 mins first time. I highly doubly that you could pull it all through the firewall
I do not doubt that I could have the dash out, and the box out within a day. but my dash has never been removed, and it does not creak or rattle. I doubt that will be the case if I take it out.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your gona be cutting and breaking it out, if you take it out into the engine bay hole. So you will mess up other things that will get bent, and loose, so the dash is gona be alot more messed up, and loose piece still in there. Then it you took the dash out and put it back.

All the little 7mm bolts tighten right back up, dont worry about that.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, you'll end up doing more harm than good. The hvac box stretches from the passenger side to the trans tunnel, have fun fishing all that out. If you think while you take the dash apart and put it together, you will be fine in keeping it squeak and rattle free.

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed there HVAC through the firewall?