Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Reduction 100lb goal on already light car

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Counting the loss of weight on the shifter. Not counting the plate I cut out that is yet to be weighed, I lost 1lb 7oz for a new total of 17lbs of loss

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
is that the automatic shifter? I hadn't even thought about that!!
Yes that is the stock auto shifter.
After a little more work and paint, it weighs 1lb 14oz

I didn't remove this but just for weight measurement, here is the weight of the switch on the shifter. You could loose more if you wanted to remove the bracket that holds it, but I'm keeping this part:

Last edited by brandonppr; 04-27-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

after adding this:
column 12lbs
shifter bracket 9oz
part of parking brake bracket 4oz
Total so far 27lbs 13oz

The final weight of my steering column/shaft is 3lbs 8oz including the new bearing. I made a new bracket to mount the bearing to in the car, but it weighed the same as the old one I cut out.
This is a loss of 12lbs from the stock column.

Here is the bracket from the shifter 9oz

part of the parking brake bracket 4oz
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

optima batteries weigh a ton...what about going to a race battery (granted not free). I've taken ideas from you to do my weight reduction so I dont know how much I can suggest...if it were me, I'd start getting down and dirtier.

I love the way your bracket looks for the radiator, but how about hole sawing it? Hole saw and dimple your battery bracket, that should still allow it to have strength yet still take out more weight. Do the same with your pcm bracket.

Was it Studderin that went so far as to drill holes in the throttle linkage?

What about working on things like rolling resistance as well, I know it's not exactly weight reduction, but I have an article saved on my other cpu that shows where to touch up and grind the tabs on the brake pads so that they don't stick and make contact with the rotor after your finish braking. I can't stand how if I take my brakes off the front wheels and bolt the rims back on, it free wheels...but bolt the brakes back on and you get half the spinnage if you're lucky.

Just something to think about
Did you ever find the article on the front brakes?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

All the following weighs 13lbs 15oz
This gives me a total of 41lbs 13oz

I got 2lbs 8oz out of the T-tops by removing the lock and handle assembly. They were 1lb 4.5oz each, but I had to make a pin to keep the tops in which added back a half ounce each.

Just for reference the pins are 9.4mm wide

I removed the fuel level sensor which was just over 1oz

Hatch trim pieces total 3lbs 6oz. I am going to paint the area black.

This is the two pieces of rubber that go on the rear shocks at the bottom. Also part of the rear window molding. I cut it off where the hatch begins. It was already broke and I decided to just pull it off all around the top portion of the rear glass. 6oz

This is the a pillar trim. I painted it black underneath. 13oz each x 2 equals 1lb 10oz total

I decided to get rid of the engine covers 1lb 11oz

Some more steering parts from my aftermarket wheel 5oz

Fuel filler plastic 4oz

I cut this out from behind the front wheel at the back side by the door. I believe it is for the tow hook location driver side 4lbs

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/br...tml?sort=3&o=3

Last edited by brandonppr; 05-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

For the 1 ounce of weight, I would definitely leave the arm in the tank.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
For the 1 ounce of weight, I would definitely leave the arm in the tank.
It had stopped working anyway and the wiring for it is also removed. I would say counting the wires from it, it was probably about 3 ounces, but I have already counted removing the wires. Ounces add to pounds.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow , insane weight reduction going on here lol, I thought i did something getting mine down to 2800lbs without driver and apparently i was only touching the surface LOL excellent thread to go off of though
Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brandonppr
It had stopped working anyway and the wiring for it is also removed. I would say counting the wires from it, it was probably about 3 ounces, but I have already counted removing the wires. Ounces add to pounds.
Didn't know it wasn't working and I understand everything adds up. I don't know how you plan on filling your tank etc. but running the minimum amount of fuel needed for a full pass would certainly outweigh the 1-3 ounces you pulled. I am referring to gas weighing 5-6lbs per gallon. Not knocking, just observing. Love what you are doin
Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
Wow , insane weight reduction going on here lol, I thought i did something getting mine down to 2800lbs without driver and apparently i was only touching the surface LOL excellent thread to go off of though
I still have some more ideas in the works.

I think I will be able to get over a half pound from the door mirrors without loosing the mirror.

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Didn't know it wasn't working and I understand everything adds up. I don't know how you plan on filling your tank etc. but running the minimum amount of fuel needed for a full pass would certainly outweigh the 1-3 ounces you pulled. I am referring to gas weighing 5-6lbs per gallon. Not knocking, just observing. Love what you are doin
I realize the gas weighs a lot. I have thought about going to a fuel cell, but the problem I see is that I bracket race and I would rather the gas temp fluctuate less. I feel that with a full tank, the temperature will remain more stable thus making it more consistent. besides, even if I did have the minimum amount of fuel in there, It would still be another ounce or two. .
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah you can take the elec motors out of the mirrors and the wiring running to those as well
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

all of the following is 2lb
Total 43bs 13oz

bracket for mirror before and after lost 10oz on passenger side

passenger mirror motors: 3oz

Found all these rocks under that plastic piece 2oz

We will call it 1lb 1oz
antenna and wiring,
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how are you separating that side mirror? I've never been able to figure out hot to separate mine after getting the 3 screws off
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

how are you separating that side mirror? I've never been able to figure out hot to separate mine after getting the 3 screws off
You can pop the mirror out without taking any screws out and then take the screws out. Just grab it and pull until it pops out.

Last edited by brandonppr; 05-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

This is nuts haha, I'm interested in seeing the weight at the end of it all.

Also this might have been said and I missed it but have you thought about a targa top? That's would take off a lot of weight by ditching those heavy *** t-tops

Last edited by exodus_gs1; 05-18-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

You know there are locking pin on hoods out their they sit flush with the hood so the pins aren't noticeable at all just fyi tryn to help save weight but this thread is definitely intense on the weight savings.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anymore updates?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Time to start taking the grinder wheel to all the bolts in the car. Since my build is constantly jumping around, I have started cutting bolts down on each of my projects.

So far Ive been cutting trim bolts down...but just think about how heavy a small box of bolts are in your hardware store, and you'll see how fast things start adding up.

Alone on just the trim panel of your door you have 12 bolts/screws that I can think of off the top of my head... they only need to grab 4-5 threads, the rest can be cut down... that means the bolts can be cut down by 1/4 to 1/2 of their size.

Now apply that to both doors, the fender bolts under the hood, all your ground wire bolts, all the dash trim bolts, etc, etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is a gold mine of weight reduction but grinding the bolts down is a bit extreme I think. But hey I'm the one with the fat pig right.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

NO! not the fuel level arm........man....you gotta put yourself on a diet. im doing it. down 16 lbs from last month.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What kind of bits are you using to cut these holes? I was using a step bit and all the shavings were so hot they imbedded and melted into my garage carpet. Are you using hole saw bits?

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction 100lb goal on already light car