Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What changes can I make for better ET

Here is my set up:
Car is drag race only, SD tune, 1/8 mile only

Engine/Trans
Forged 347 with stock crank, flycut (LME)
Fast 90mm intake and 90mm TB
MS4 Cam (TSP)
5.3L stg 2.5 heads (PRC)
Longtube headers (Pacesetter)
4L60e with a few good parts in it
3800 SS converter (Yank)
Red top injectors (SVO)
255LPM pump in 02 tank
Double roller adjustable timing chain (Rollmaster)
Comp Cams Lifters
electric water pump (miziere)

Suspension/Rear/Driveshaft
Stock aluminum driveshaft
Moser 12bolt 3.73 full spool
UMI short CM adjustable TA
Wolfe offset CM LCAs
Comp 3 way adjustable rear shocks
QA1 R front adjustable shocks
UMI CM panhard bar
Wolf Drag bar
Solid motor mounts

Chassis
LOTS of weight reduction
!front sway bar
Full cage with added thru firewall bars to front frame
Subframe connectors
Wolf Minitub with 275-12 springs

Wheel/Tire
weld 10hole? draglights? skinny front 15x10? rear
MT ET Street 26x11.50

Do you see anything that I could improve on in my set up?
I think I could do better on gears because I run 1/8 mile only.

I plan to switch to e85 fuel and change Redtops to siemens 60# and a dual intank pump set up from Lonnies. I also plan to spray a 100 shot.

I am going to have to get to the dyno after the new set up, but the last time I had it on the dyno it made 405 @ 7000, but it was still coming up and I didn't want to pull any higher on the 4L60e. I don't want to shift that high. I normally shift around 6700 and usually run around 7.15-20 in the 1/8th @96mph. Anything else I should change in my engine setup?

Last edited by brandonppr; 03-31-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like your setup is very similar to my old setup. Look up my old thread I went from running 7.0's down to 6.40's and a couple of .30's with no changes power wise. Weight, suspension, and a converter change took me down that far. Once again that was changing nothing motor wise...
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the track will hold it, I'd step up to a 4.10 gear in the rear.
I'd ditch the 60e and go with a th350 as well.
Assuming the numbers aren't inflated, that kind of power could easily get you in the 6.70's.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the car weigh? What kind of cold air set up? Maybe do a 1313 set up or s2bu cold air, those seem to drop et. If its 1/8 mile car, better rear gear and converter.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Seems like your setup is very similar to my old setup. Look up my old thread I went from running 7.0's down to 6.40's and a couple of .30's with no changes power wise. Weight, suspension, and a converter change took me down that far. Once again that was changing nothing motor wise...
Thanks, Ill take a look.

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
If the track will hold it, I'd step up to a 4.10 gear in the rear.
I'd ditch the 60e and go with a th350 as well.
Assuming the numbers aren't inflated, that kind of power could easily get you in the 6.70's.
I am wanting to go with a bigger tire. I have minitubs. I would rather be overtired. This is a bracket car. I want as big of a tire as possible in there even if I have to move the LCA over more and narrow the rear. That is my plan to do when I change gears. From what I understand, a 29" tire is the tallest. Is that correct? How wide can I go if I narrow and move the LCA over even with the tubs? Do you think I could go with a lower gear than 4.10? I was thinking 4.56 because if add a taller tire, 4.11 is going to put me about the same as 3.73 on the 26" tire. I am going to get it on the dyno after I get the new E85 set up in. I need to see what my numbers are at the RPM that I shift. Shifting so low is probably killing some ET.

Originally Posted by krissoto
What does the car weigh? What kind of cold air set up? Maybe do a 1313 set up or s2bu cold air, those seem to drop et. If its 1/8 mile car, better rear gear and converter.
I have yet to get it weighed. I am planning on getting it to a scale in the next few weeks to see where I am. I have done quite a bit, but still have some things to go such as I still have stock K member. I also have an electric power steering pump in the front because my grandfather doubles up with me when we race and he wants power steering and I had already deleted it. I end up using it myself because it is nice to use in the pits, but it also adds some weight back.

I will look into those ram air setups. I think I could build something to work for it. Do you think it would hold heat? Right now I have the radiator tilted back further and the intake is above the gap for half of the filter. The stock radiator piece is gone and the clips hold the rectangle ring that holds the filter in after a small modification of the stock pieces.

Here is how it is now with the exception of now having no maf and a 4"lid now:

Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a better converter, ptc 4500 or similar
28 11.50 slick is more than enough tire
Keep the 3.73's
Shift at 7200
Get weight off the front, k member for sure that's 30#!
Please put a better driveshaft on it before it blows

If you van get 50# off the front and swap converter you should be in the 6.85 range
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club

All that is needed is a 28X10.5X15 ET drag not an ET street and swap out the 3.73 gears for a set of 4.10 gears. With the 4L60e that you have shift RPM is fine for the 1-2 shift try 6,900 RPM's on the 2-3 shift. If you change to a TH350 or TH400 go with 4.56 gears if it is always going to run down a 1/8 mile track.

As already stated change out to a better K-member and A-arms and take advantage of the QA1-R’s you all ready have on the front of the car.

If you want to drop more ET change the converter to a higher stall. I would also change the driveshaft if you start to hit it harder with a new stall converter.

Good luck!

N2

Quick Reply: What changes can I make for better ET