Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end break in

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end break in

I just put in an s60. I read the paper and understand they WANT you to put 500 miles and an oil change through it before its broken in. I did do this with the last two gearsets that I have changed.

My question is what's the procedure for breaking in a race only setup? I mean I don't see rails and super pro cars tooling around town before the track opens for the year so I know they are not doing it. Does it just need to be heat cycled a few times and the oil changed?

I know I should do it by the letter but I'm impatient. The car has been down too long and I didn't even make one pass last year.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drag race break in jack up rear end and let it run in gear for a few minutes then pull to the line. The way I broke in my 12 bolt was running it in gear up on jack stands in forward and reverse. Then I took it out got it hot and let it cool completely a couple times. The magnet will pick up any metal so no need to waste gear oil. My 12 bolt has been going strong for about 5 years now and no gear whine!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

I was told to break it in like I was going to run it. Granted mine sees street mileage. It's been operating flawlessly for 4yrs now though.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My S60 was broken in during dyno tuning. Ran some passes at the track after that. It's all good.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Pretty much what I figured. The trip to the track is roughly 40 miles plus the 30 or so I put on it already. I'm going to try and get this thing down the track Saturday.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BennyB
Drag race break in jack up rear end and let it run in gear for a few minutes then pull to the line. The way I broke in my 12 bolt was running it in gear up on jack stands in forward and reverse. Then I took it out got it hot and let it cool completely a couple times. The magnet will pick up any metal so no need to waste gear oil. My 12 bolt has been going strong for about 5 years now and no gear whine!
What benny said...... I would add to his statement one thing. Let it run in forward gear and reverse as well. When i broke my gear set in this way it is the quietest setup I've ever had in my 9in.

Quick Reply: Rear end break in