Sponsored by:

solid motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello All,

I never said they were made in China, I was just making an assumption.. so there is a difference there and I don't want to start a rumor lol.

We work with Hawks as well and have a great relationship with them. I am assuming they are just selling someones brand and not actually making them.

We do use USA made aluminum here at UMI. I even attached a few pictures directly from our shop.

Ryan
I have your solid motor mounts and love them and loved even more how i saved a lil wieght over factory clam shells. Thanks for a great product, the american way!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never tried those, I'm kinda partial to the ones we make here in Illinois

The MWC version is very close to the weight of the aluminum, and you won't find a better priced set of solid mounts with this quality!

http://midwestchassis.com/solid-motor-mounts.html
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts

:deleted:
Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
They are knock off's of our design. It is a shame. At that price I might guess they could be made overseas. Solid aluminum is not cheap and the CNC time of these is high so I am curious to how they can make them at that price...
At first glance I was thinking these were an extrusion, which would drastically minimize machining time, but looking closer, they obviously aren't.
Idk... Insert cutters and labor rates for hourly employees that rival fast food joints is possibly the only way they can turn out a product like that, and use similar materials.
6061-t6 isn't exactly an exotic material, but the quality control and degassing at the foundry IS drastically different.

I'm a machinist, I know exactly what it takes to make a mount like this, and as bad as I want to make a set of solid aluminum mounts like that, it's not worth the time and headache to order a short piece of bar stock to make them from.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

I work in a foundry and it's way more to making those mounts than what meets the eye....the molding/casting process has to be right or they can crack without notice with minimal amounts of stress. And thats before they get to the machining side of the deal which has to be right because if they don't mount up properly they can add strain/stress to an engine block.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i run the UMI aluminum that these look like and love them. Although i never want to install them again
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Sorry if I made it sound that way Ryan. You definitely didn't say they were made in China. You only said that it was a knock off of your design.
I know you didn't at all. I just wanted to make it clear before a rumor started

If you are interested in our mounts I can match their price to make up for the k-member trouble.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

cant be any worse than the junk umi ones i bought that dont fit. ended up using the midwest chassis ones.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
cant be any worse than the junk umi ones i bought that dont fit. ended up using the midwest chassis ones.
Hello, We haven't ever been aware of any mounts not fitting? We have always had great feedback on them.

We did however have a small batch we made that had "top" engraved on the wrong side. Correct mount, just incorrect engraved location. Could this have been the issue?
Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the offer. I am going to try it with the poly mounts first. If it still doesn't fit then I might take you up on that. Thanks

Ryan
Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Never tried those, I'm kinda partial to the ones we make here in Illinois

The MWC version is very close to the weight of the aluminum, and you won't find a better priced set of solid mounts with this quality!

http://midwestchassis.com/solid-motor-mounts.html
I have the MWC ones also...great part for the price.

it sucks that someone would copycat UMI though.

Quick Reply: solid motor mounts